Networking!

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

LavaGale
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

Ok, I have finally decided that it is time to network our 3 computers together.
So now I am researching the various ways of doing it. I would like all the input that "anyone" can give me on this subject.
I would like to do it "right" the first time, lol

If this is possible, this is what I would like....a network that would allow me to use whatever connection type I choose. As of now, I have dailup, dsl has finally arrived in our area, and we have some kind of wireless thing, and cable it comeing to our area hopefully very soon.

And which kind of networking do you think is best Wireless vs a hub or router.

Any info will be greatly appreciated!
Do you have Frog Legs?
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm not really into Networking :lol:
But I would go with a wireless router :)
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Red XIII
Sultan Ruler Of The Poles!

Linksys routers and a good broadband modem :) thats how i have it, altho running the wires through ur house is annoying to get going...
Die Verstorbenen werden wieder in einem Fluss des Bluts steigen
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you are serious about networking then I would wait until you upgrade to broadband. Once that is done and all of your computers are in different rooms I would suggest wireless routers. If they are close to eachother then I would just wire them together with a router. Wireless is nice especially if you have a laptop.
Red XIII

tru...grrrr outsmarted by the grinch again! :P
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Outsmarted..... nah, it's just this is a realm that I know a little about since I have 3 PC's linked together wirelessly. One of them being a laptop. Setting up a home network is simple. The number one thing to concentrate on with a wireless network is security and making sure your p2p apps work once the router is installed :twisted:.
Red XIII

i could tlk with my friend and learn more than grinch ever will :P
Freggle
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

Ok there are a few different solutions for this.

First you have too choose if you want to go for wireless or for wired connection.

When you go for wireless which is probably the easiest for you.
You will have to buy a router and wireless pc cards with the same amounts as you have pc's.

If you go for wired you need a router, CAT5 cables and as many network cards as you have pc's. Wired can be a bit hard, especially when you have to go trough walls and have to make your own cable ends with a special tool.

You can also choose for routers that don't have a implemented switch. I can't advice you this because it will take more cables, more troubles and more money.

[size=0].......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... ..........[/size]
Last edited by Freggle on Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Red XIII

u just drill holes in the wall for wired! :D thats wat we did!
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well Red, you just proved that there is a right and a wrong way to do things :lol:
Freggle
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

Did your house collide after you did that :roll: Must have been pretty big holes to get the cable together with the plugs trought it...

[size=0].......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... ..........[/size]
Last edited by Freggle on Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
LavaGale
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

This is great!
I love all this input.
Thanks guys.
So anyone, what is the difference between a hub and a router? Which is the best?
And has anyone used both wireless and wired and can say which they think is best?
On the wireless, "Intel AnyPoint Phoneline Home Network" was leading me to believe I would'nt need a router or hub, it said all I had to do was install the pci card in each pc, and plug the phone line into it, and that was it.
But then what if I went with cable.....sooo many choices, that's the problem, lol
Also, anyone know of any really good websites on this subject?

Much thanks to everyone!! :-)
Do you have Frog Legs?
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Personally I have wireless router. My main PC is wired into it and my other 2 puters hook up wirelessly. I've never dealt with a hub so I can't say what would be best. I've heard of that phone line thingy and it sounds neat. If you go dsl or cable for broadband there are tons of stuff available for each.
Red XIII

no it didnt collapse, it works considering how our basement ceiling is
LavaGale
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

Grinch, do you think wireless would work in my situation?
My main pc is upstairs in the center of the house, the other 2 are in the basement at opposite ends of the house. :-k
Do they have to be closer together?
And do they have to be on the same level?

Thanks Bunches for the info :D
Do you have Frog Legs?