USB Issues

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

Red XIII
Sultan Ruler Of The Poles!

We need sum tech support, Here's the thing...

my bro bought a USB CD-R/CD-RW Drive (dun ask why he didnt buy a regular) and i installed it all the right way, yet his computer knows what his USB ports are and at the same time,doesnt....So it said it was installed properly and everything was okay...i tried doing a sample burn with the supplied Nero program, and it instead tried using his DVD Rom drive to try and burn the cd
His computer seems to have no idea that the USB Drive is even there, I tried installing and uninstalling it, still no go...i think his USB ports are either Disabled or Broke, i told him to take it to a computer shop...

what the hell is wrong with his comp?
Die Verstorbenen werden wieder in einem Fluss des Bluts steigen
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

In Nero, click on recorder choose recorder and select the correct drive. Also go to control panel, then system, then the hardware tab and then select device manager. Ensure that everything is recognized as it should be. If that doesn't work, post back and I'll come up with another solution.
Red XIII

i tried every one of those grinch...it has Unknown Device under the USB thing in device manager...we cant find the right drivers for it...
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

May seem silly, but have you double checked the connection? Make sure it is fully plugged in to each device.
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Red XIII

i spent 2 hours working on it....know something idk about it being connected or something i forgot to do? :evil: :?
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Try plugging it into another USB port if you have more
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

update the bios. One thing to check is what version of USB the external drive is and what version the mobo has. They could be conflicting.
Red XIII

my bros a dumbass and decided to take it back and by an internal one...so idk...thx for trying to help newayz...i told him to wait to see if u guys could help, thanks again tho :)
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would assume that the USB's were different versions. They are supposed to be compatible with eachother but a lot of people have problems mixing the two. An external drive is a good option to go but compatibility problems can arise as you now know.
Red XIII

yeah i have my own burner so i dun need to worry about that...he didnt bother asking me for any opinions on which he would think would be better when he went out to buy it...not to mention he's gonna be staying at college, so i would have told him to get the internal so that he wouldnt have to worry about people "borrowing" his external :lol:
Bacon
Boo, or Boo-urns?
Boo, or Boo-urns?

Check out your BIOS and make sure your USB ports are turned on. USB is both forward and backward compatable. I suggest you install the newest USB drivers from your Motherboards website, although Windows 2K and XP comes with USB drivers built in, it might be an idea to make sure your motherboard is eating them ok.

Oh, you don't have it anymore..... =)
Red XIII

i dont? it was my brothers, its he doesnt** :P