puter problems

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

It does sound like you had a nasty virus or spyware but then again it could be ME. ME is a buggy OS and will eventually start to break down over time. The one PC I had that ran ME ran it surprisingly well but I still upgraded. Glad you got it sorted out though.
Red XIII
Sultan Ruler Of The Poles!

yeah i had the same issues with ME when my moms computer had it on as a test of the OS, we said screw it and put 2000 on there and then she insisted on putting XP on there...dunno why, 2000 is the best :D
Die Verstorbenen werden wieder in einem Fluss des Bluts steigen
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

IMHO XP and 2000 are just about the same minus GUI differences. I like XP. XP is also more compatible with things then 2000 was. I tried it out and a few games refused to work with it so I said screw it.
Red XIII

So you'd recommend XP more than anything? 2000 is the most stable according to my cousin...but yeah ima format my comp when i get back, would 2000 be wiser or would XP be the best? i hate the size of things on XP its like "HERE YOU GO MORON, BIG CLICKY TARGETS SO YOU KNOW WHERE U ARE!"...
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can change all that in XP. XP is stable, when it crashes it is because I caused it to crash. 2000 is a stable OS but Xp was built upon 2000 if I am not mistaken.
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

Indeed Windows XP is the natural successor to Windows 2k, following as it did on the heels of the NT4 platform. At least you can run Windows XP on a Fat 32 partition, thats a godsend for me. :)
Red XIII

ok thx everyone 8)
Freggle
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

XP is not more stable then 2000 or the other way around. Windows 2000 also runs on fat32. Biggest difference between Windows ME and Windows 2000 (or XP which is 2000 second edition) is that ME as crappy drivers and 2k / XP have good ones. Without a decent driver your car won't go far and the same can be said for operation systems.

....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... .......................
Last edited by Freggle on Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

I think you will find that its a bit more than a question of drivers Freggle .
Also I take umbrage with your assertion that windows XP is as unstable as win 2k. It stands to reason and common sense that they would have used windows 2k data to fix most of the bugs before it went to the "whistler" release stage . Any other problems that it had in that dept where ironed out with the release of service pack one (replacing a lot of the old code ) , using data from customer feedback.
In fact the only bad points of Xp are to be found in the internet explorer and web interfaces. These will hopefully be sorted out with the service pack 2 final release .
Freggle
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

Well if you go for the first release version of Windows 2000 I agree with it. But Windows 2000 also has four service packs in what lot's of bugs are fixed. Should have included in my post that I ment 2k with the newest updates.

There are lot's and lot's of more annoying bugs in Win2k and WinXP. Some of them are fixed in the service packs. Others will stay with us until at least newer versions of Windows 2003.

Now I can start to give you a list of bugs and flaws that XP has and 2k doesn't have but I refuse to. With common sense and knowledge of Microsofts you should know that with any new versions of Windows new bugs come out and lot's of the old ones are still in there. WinXP has alot of new features like changed UPnP support that is bugged as hell and ill leave the cd-rom bugs out of it for now....

....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... ....................... .......................