puter problems

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

me here
Healing Hands
Healing Hands

Okay, Let me just tell you that I am no genius with puters, but I have a Devldr16.exe, acctually, two listed on my start>run>misconfig>startup.
I First encountered a problem about a week ago, I suddenly lost audio on the entire computer, tried all the usual things to fix, speakers, wires, etc..
Finally decided to rebot, that worked, then next day, puter cannot find printer, can't go into printers from controll panel this operation seems to just freeze up. Now two days ago i began having difficulty accessing my explorer I was able to get on my winmx, and msn but not any thing through explorer. Honestly i am not sure that day how it got resolved but now, yesterday i couldn't access anything on the net, i could get online however that was it. My home page came up with a C:/windows/system/devldr16 address which i thought looked odd so i went into the start up, and disabled it, that seems to let me on the net however it is enabling itsself everytime i get on. Now i am having troubles maintaining a connection ( seems less stable), i am having problems with web page cannot be found very often, I ran a hijackthis scan, and it shows up on there, at http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist ... list_d.htm
There is information on how to disable it, however the file/folder they reccomend I remove is not on my computer. KK so I don't know what to do bout it Grinch, and it is getting worse everyday, So i hope I gave you the background information well enough :)

My OS= ME
I have not done any updates and need to but not sure what or how
The trouble seems to be with printer, and web stuff

Grinch thank you if you have any suggestions for me i would appreciate them :)
A World Dominated by WinMX
http://www.winmxworld.com/
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am assuming your PC has a Sound Blaster sound card in it. If not then this is spyware related. So first things first, run you AV scan and Spyware scanner and make sure they are up to date before you begin. Next would be to go to Start>Run>type in msconfig and hit enter. Go to your start up tab and uncheck this little bastard from the list. Click on apply then ok. Reboot your puter and see if it comes back. If it does you will have to try something else.

If that doesn't work and you have a Sound Blaster Sound Card then try going into the device manager. Should be under System in your control panel. Go down to sound and disable Creative SB16 emulation(you don't need it). Reboot your PC once again. If this does not fix it then uninstall any creative software you may have installed. Also go into add/remove hardware and uninstall the sound card. Re-install the sound card but do a custom install off your driver CD and make sure you do not install the SB16 Emulation.

If none of these things work let me know and we will do something really drastic to get rid of it.
me here
Healing Hands
Healing Hands

Thank you Grinch,

Well, yes I do have the sound blaster on my PC. I ran my adware thought before i realized what was giving me fits. That little devldr16.exe would let my uncheck it in the start>run>misconfig however when your turn on/off the puter it re-enables itself. On that website I gave you I tryed to do as they said, disable the SB16 emultion from hardware profiles but i don't have it on my puter.

Everytime I rebot or just get back on I was having more and more trouble accessing or using explorer and so I tried to rename it, It seems that even if you end its task with task manager windows still thinks its using it, So what i have done now, and not without some major help was to go to the Start>Run>Commands then entered in to C:\windows\systems> and renamed the file from devldr16.exe to devldr16.exe.old

So far it has not effected my sound and i am now able to get into explorer with out any problems :P

Anyway I just wanted to let you know that i am maybe, sorta, fixed for now and that if i have any more troubles i will let your know... Thanks again :wink:
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

No problem
me here
Healing Hands
Healing Hands

Grinch,
I spoke toooo soon, I was going along just fine last night and this morning after We changed the name of the file, then i think pretty much the very instant i clicked on submit, powwwww.....lol. So now i have a new file that is getting in my browser and kidnapping me (very technical terms). The file shows like this: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Drv blah test.htm#http://my.yahoo.com/ being a temp file i can not seem to delete it , and it replicates like frigin roaches, soooo now i don't know what to do, I have no clue how to uninstall the sound card and if i get Xp i wouldn't have a clue how to get the ME off and the XP on. This is very strange behavior to just start all of a sudden but all the scans i have done show 0 viruses....... Huny i know u very busy right now, but if you get a second to let me know what u think i would really appreciate it I have no clue what else to do... seems as tho i've tried everything except the sound card trick.... thank you :?:
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

That sounds more like a virus to me , the sound problem I think you solved . Try the online scanner here http://housecall.trendmicro.com/houseca ... t_corp.asp click yes when it asks , its safe .
Red XIII
Sultan Ruler Of The Poles!

Virus or a serious hijack, one of the two, im not sure of which, but sumone might be screwing with ur comp, me u tried scanning ur comp in safe mode, altho it might just be ME, ME was a very unstable OS when it came out...
Die Verstorbenen werden wieder in einem Fluss des Bluts steigen
me here
Healing Hands
Healing Hands

Well, boys you want to hear the best part? I did lose my ability to access my internet explorer, luckily, Battye was kind enough to send me netscape before was too dead, so i went immediatly to finish the scan at trendmicro, and i was unable to get it to load, so i decided to 're do ' the ravantivirus scan, but my nasty b*****d is changing the url's and sending me else where on the site, which i could see the url change as it went, so i have tried trendmicro, rav, panda, adware, spybot, trojan remover, avg, and they either show up clean or redirect me. So now what u boys think. I d love any advice or help i can get at this point i am desperate!!!!

Come on i know someone can help me fix this :roll:
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Honestly I don't know. Your PC has got some serious issues. My suggestion is upgrading your operating system to either Windows 2000 or Windows XP. Or if you don't want to upgrade, format and re-install ME. I will search around and see what other options I can find for you.
me here
Healing Hands
Healing Hands

:cry:.........:cry:............:cry:............. :cry:....... :cry:...........:cry:...............
....... :D ............ :D............. :shock:.......... :D ............ :D ............:D ........

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That looks alot like the roller coaster ride i been on ...lol, but i am really not sure i could do that myself Grinch, even tho i would love to upgrade.... I can't do it alone i know and i tried to install a upgrade of my explorer was no change.. and still looking for a good scan that is compatible with netscape any idea would be awesome :D

thank you
Red XIII

u should get a host redirect file and hiijack found by ad-aware...it found mine, u have hijack this? do a scan with that and send the log to a spyware forum...they usually know what to do, i think u should just format and like grinch said, change OS's ME is VERY Screwy
me here
Healing Hands
Healing Hands

Okay, want to hear how the story ends?...That damn thing attacked the netscape i was using today and i finally decided that i couldn't do much more damage than it had, so with alot of help i did it, i reformatted and reinstalled ME, for now, it was my only option. While making my back-ups i found some very interesting *.tmp temp files and renamed them *.txt and read, they were filled with commands to redirect a url typed to something different, crazy, and one of them seemed to have triggers in it from my msn plus which i just got from a friend... :cry: So, anyway i have got my ME reinstalled and seem to be doing great, I think that whoever invented that little trick should be hung on a wooden post by his b*lls and covered in honey and invite the ants......... :twisted: ooppss was that out loud? Any way gentlemen for the help and keep up the good work :wink:
Red XIII

did ur friend send u a file? they could have known the virus was on there... :evil:
me here
Healing Hands
Healing Hands

Well if he sent me the virus, he didn't mean to, i suspect it layed in wait for something to trigger it. I got it from [WCC]BillyJack...he would NEVER have hurt me :D I also was hit by something about 4 days prior to that, suddenly my ZA firewall shut itsself down, that has never happened before :shock:
Red XIII

hrrrmmm maybe have him scan that file so he can be sure it wasnt the file...