Piracy funds terrorism, apparently

Discuss the world of file sharing, from philosophy to help with applications.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 14383
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:26 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

A bit of background information; I purchased the BBC series "Extras" on DVD. Perfectly legal, but the disks were European region - so I had to change the DVD player internal settings to get it to play.

It was an LG RC389H player, the details on how to allow it to play international disks can be found at: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/lg-rc389h/9189

I got an error saying "Setup data initialize: Press "0xE0" key" - which I wasn't expecting. In order to get around this, I held the power button (on the front of the unit, not the remote) for about 5 seconds. I think this reboots the system. After doing so, the DVD ran perfectly.

But the interesting thing I wanted to raise was this fascinating anti-piracy message which was on the DVD.

Have a look at this article, and play the accompanying YouTube video: http://torrentfreak.com/the-pirates-are-out-to-get-you/

I'm still trying to figure out how "piracy funds terrorism"...
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
User avatar
Layzie Bone
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy
Posts: 2460
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 11:59 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Interesting how they jump to that conclusion, I guess if you're silly enough to believe that then I guess you buy the disc...

so where can I get my taqiyah and a book on jihad? :P
User avatar
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain
Posts: 4452
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:38 am
Location: in the dark

battye wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how "piracy funds terrorism"...
Well, I guess some of it does, but not the type we would generally think of.

I suppose the cutlass wielding red-beard yo-ho-ho type pirate might be into a bit of terrorism from time to time and surely his work, digging up overloaded chests of treasure from under dirty great X's on tiny desert islands might be useful for a bit of funding.

On the other hand, a few cyber-savvy geeks swapping dodgy copies of The Wizard of Oz over an internet connection seems more likely to anti-fund terrorism.... or any other activity for that matter.... except for the ISP business which makes some serious cash out of selling lots of high speed connections to the aforementioned geeks.
User avatar
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 14383
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:26 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Rat wrote:
battye wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how "piracy funds terrorism"...
Well, I guess some of it does, but not the type we would generally think of.

I suppose the cutlass wielding red-beard yo-ho-ho type pirate might be into a bit of terrorism from time to time and surely his work, digging up overloaded chests of treasure from under dirty great X's on tiny desert islands might be useful for a bit of funding
Spot on. It's the real pirates like these lowlifes - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piracy_in_Somalia - that are inflicting terror.

Image

:evil:
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
MXC_michael
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 9:08 am

i downloaded lost season 2 other day, and that will benefit the terrorist in attempting to take down 2 of the most money/power hungry driven countries?, imma go download season 3 now then.


i totallly forgot about this site, nice to see it still going strong
User avatar
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain
Posts: 4452
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:38 am
Location: in the dark

MXC_michael wrote:i totallly forgot about this site, nice to see it still going strong
This site isn't easily killed. Umm.... do we know you? If not, welcome to CMX. You might want to say hi in the introductory forum.
MXC_michael
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 9:08 am

im sure if u searched my username in the forum it would show ive been a member since roughly 04/05, (i think sinced the site launched cos i remember Battye advertising the opening of CMX on MXTools.net) but then mx kinda went down hill and i stopped visiting mx affiliated sites. thanks for the welcome though rat...
User avatar
Layzie Bone
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy
Posts: 2460
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 11:59 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

battye wrote:
Rat wrote:
battye wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how "piracy funds terrorism"...
Well, I guess some of it does, but not the type we would generally think of.

I suppose the cutlass wielding red-beard yo-ho-ho type pirate might be into a bit of terrorism from time to time and surely his work, digging up overloaded chests of treasure from under dirty great X's on tiny desert islands might be useful for a bit of funding
Spot on. It's the real pirates like these lowlifes - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piracy_in_Somalia - that are inflicting terror.

Image

:evil:
Sometimes I'm so thick. I'm sitting here thinking real pirates on the sea, downloading movies illegally? Der!!! Well downloading music and movies really don't do much damage, these actors and folks still make millions, and still live easy, people like me will rent for the rest of their lives and have nothing to show for working the next 50 years, thanks to all the wonderful presidents we the people elect into office, like George Bush and our beloved Obama, and what about the senators, the governors, and the county commissioner that waste all of your money that somehow ends up in these asshole's back pockets. So they can kiss my white ass I'm downloading whatever I please, in high definition, my ISP can kiss my ass too...
User avatar
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 14383
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:26 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

MXC_michael wrote:im sure if u searched my username in the forum it would show ive been a member since roughly 04/05, (i think sinced the site launched cos i remember Battye advertising the opening of CMX on MXTools.net) but then mx kinda went down hill and i stopped visiting mx affiliated sites. thanks for the welcome though rat...
Not quite since launch, but you have been with us for over five years :)
http://forums.cricketmx.com/memberlist. ... file&u=382

It is good to see you again, welcome back and hopefully you stick around! Feel free to jump in to the discussions in OT Forum, there's a lot of great topics in there :)
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
User avatar
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain
Posts: 4452
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:38 am
Location: in the dark

I thought the name sounded familiar. I guess you lost your password huh? You know, you can get it back. Or, our esteemed leader could probably reset it, or something.
Post Reply