iPhone - FINALLY HERE

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

garmabeaneth
Dancing Queen
Dancing Queen

so.. battye.. do you go over your monthly kb per month yet? after my contract runs out with bell i'm gonna change providers and get me a blackberry!
Sometimes when you cry... no one sees your tears.
Sometimes when you are worried... no one sees your pain.
Sometimes when you are happy... no one sees your smile.
But fart just one damn time ...
(¯`·._.·[GUEST 601]·._.·´¯)

smile you're on candid camera Image
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nope, my plan allows for 250 MB a month of data... ordinarily I wouldn't use more than about 50 MB, but one month I did use 100 (30 of which was Youtube :)). When the iPhone was about to come out in Australia there was a huge uproar that the data allowances were too low. A lot of people wanted unlimited MB, most wanted between 1 GB and 4 GB. As it turns out, I haven't heard of anyone to get to 1GB in a month.

Which Blackberry are you going to get? They recently made a touch screen one I think but a lot of people like the older ones because of the physical keypad.
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
garmabeaneth
Dancing Queen
Dancing Queen

i was eyeing the blackberry storm.. i can't get anything new until 2010 :(
Sometimes when you cry... no one sees your tears.
Sometimes when you are worried... no one sees your pain.
Sometimes when you are happy... no one sees your smile.
But fart just one damn time ...
(¯`·._.·[GUEST 601]·._.·´¯)

smile you're on candid camera Image
moongirl

Apple iPhone Mirror Screen Protector
Description:
The Apple iPhone Mirror Screen Protector is a great way to keep your Apple iPhone’s LCD Screen scratch-free and brilliant. Made of durable plastic, the Apple iPhone Mirror Screen Protector protects you Apple iPhone’s screen from scratches and dust, without affecting the touch screen’s sensitivity. A unique feature that separates this screen guard from other ones is that the screen is designed to double as a mirror. The special Apple iPhone Screen Protector reflects just like a regular mirror when the screen is turned off and displays your screen when turned on. Perfect for checking your make-up, your teeth after a meal, or even signaling for help, this handy mirror/ screen protector will keep you looking professional at all times.

Check out the video at http://www.talkietech.com/miscprvi.html

Features:
Made of a special, high quality plastic
Doubles as a reflective mirror. Please see the video for a demonstration: Mirror Screen Protector Video
Includes a soft cleaning cloth
Static adhesive does not leave residue
Error-proof installation
Can be removed and reapplied if necessary
Can be used with all plastic or neoprene cases for maximum protection
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/review ... protector/
That's not the man in the moon...that's me ;)
moongirl

The Cat-Nap App
The Wake Me Shake Train Alarm app for iPhones

The Wake Me Shake Train Alarm app for iPhones should be a great app to have for people who have a habit of dozing off when they are mobile on buses or trains. The app requires you to inform it on what station you have to get off or how far away you are from the said station.

After inputting the right parameters, this app will calculate and alert you at the right time when it is time to get off. With the Wake Me Shake Train Alarm app, never miss your stop ever again. The app is developed by Warwick Pearmund and retails for $2.99.
http://www.mobilewhack.com/wake-me-shak ... phone-app/
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's a pretty cool app, I wonder if it works for drivers too? :P

The big Apple news this week is the announcement of iPhone 4. While my iPhone 3G continues to work I wouldn't consider upgrading though, my iPhone does everything I need it to - calls, sms, internet browsing, email. Anything more than that is an absolute bonus which I am extremely grateful to the app developers for :) Recently I have started to listen to radio streams (from Melbourne, so not available over-the-air) a bit more, so an app like FStream is really useful. I've noticed my data usage is starting to take a bit of a hit, but it would take quite a few hours at 7MB each to get up around my limit (250MB).

Another app I got recently was a battery indicator, which at a dollar or so was worth the investment. The newer iPhone models tell you this in the top right hand corner, but with this app I can see at a glance the exact percentage of battery remaining - and also how many hours of 3G talk time, wi-fi browsing, etc so it's pretty useful. In the 3GS model a video camera was introduced... instead of upgrading, I downloaded a video camera app for $1. I think I've only used it once, but it's handy to have there.

What iPhone 4 introduces which would be handy is multi-tasking - which would mean I could listen to my radio stream and browse emails or the internet simultaneously which I can't do right now. But the iPod can already run in the background, so in itself this probably isn't reason enough to upgrade. It would be very tempting if iPhone 4 cost say $199 or even $299 outright, so I could just pop my existing sim card in. But I doubt that will be the case, the telcos will probably try and get a 24 month contract signed first or offer it outright for $900 (which was the case for the iPhone 3G).

The other feature of iPhone 4 is what is being called "FaceTime". ie. a front facing camera for video calls. I couldn't see myself using this all that often if ever - the whole point of a mobile phone is so you can use it when you are mobile. Pretty hard to make a video call while you are walking or driving... and it's only iPhone to iPhone so that cuts down the number of potential conversations considerably.
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
moongirl

Mophie Juice Pack Air
juice pack air™

As the world’s thinnest rechargeable battery case, the mophie juice pack air™ is designed to
virtually double the time you have to Rock, Talk, Surf and Send with your iPhone 3G or 3GS.

The juice pack air™ is a rechargeable external battery concealed inside of a protective form-fitting case
for the iPhone 3G & iPhone 3GS. It offers you the full protection of a hard-shell case while providing
virtually twice the battery life of the iPhone alone; all in an ultra-thin, light-weight, low-profile design.
http://www.mophie.com/product-p/1059_jpa-ip3g-blk.htm
quahappy
Happy, not Quappy
Happy, not Quappy

I was going to buy my wife an iPhone for her recent Birthday but she is quite happy with the LG Cookie she has. Texting and making calls is all that she wants to do as anything else gets too complicated lol.
If you don't ask...
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

upkmann wrote:And what are you see interesting in these pieces of plastic?
----------
PeeWee PC Power 2.0
Far more than we see in spammers. Your post will now be deleted.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rat wrote:
upkmann wrote:And what are you see interesting in these pieces of plastic?
----------
PeeWee PC Power 2.0
Far more than we see in spammers. Your post will now be deleted.
And his account :evil:

quahappy
Happy, not Quappy
Happy, not Quappy

quahappy wrote:I was going to buy my wife an iPhone for her recent Birthday but she is quite happy with the LG Cookie she has. Texting and making calls is all that she wants to do as anything else gets too complicated lol.
How things change. Have bought her a Blackberry for Christmas. Going to need educating in it's usage lol. ;)
If you don't ask...
moongirl

Etch A Sketch iPhone/iPad Cases
Honey, I shrunk the iPad
* Disguise your iPhone 4 as a mere child's toy
* Okay, a shrunken child's toy. (Creepy or dainty?)
* Officially licensed Etch-a-Sketch product
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/cellphone/e6e2/
Layzie Bone
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy

Sorry I must say I prefer my droid...

HTC Thunderbolt to be specific...it's quite nice, 1 GHz CPU, 768 MB RAM and 40 GB (8 Internal + 32 GB SD), and a bit larger than the iphone...

Although it is pricey to have one these smartphones, with a 2 year contract with Verizon the phone is $249 (US) and will cost me about $90 a month for the plan I have....I do get unlimited data though so I guess it pays off...
moongirl

Ipad2 - iPeed (a lot better when there were 2 of them!) :shock:
You know Apple fanboyism has reached ridiculous levels when a Chinese teenager thought it would be a good deal to swap one of his kidneys for an iPad 2.

According to The Telegraph, a 17-year-old Chinese teenager known only as Zheng sold one of his kidneys on the black market in order to buy an iPad 2. Goddamn Apple fanboys, they’re everywhere!

Zheng recounted the story to Shenzhen TV in the southern province of Guangdong. He explained:

I wanted to buy an iPad 2, but I didn’t have the money. When I surfed the Internet I found an advert posted online by agent saying they were able to pay RMB20,000 [$3,000] to buy a kidney.

Zheng ended up being paid RMB22,000 ($3,400) for his kidney after negotiating with agents and having the operation to remove one of his kidneys in a hospital in the city of Chenzhou in Hunan Province. He used the money to immediately go out and buy an iPad 2 and a new laptop.

The combination of his new purchases and the scar he had on his body aroused the suspicions of his mother. She contacted the police and an investigation was launched. Unfortunately, with one million organ transplants required every year and only 10,000 organs obtained through proper channels, the black market is extensive and well-organized.

Apple products are much in demand in China, being seen as status symbols indicating wealth and class, particularly amongst the young. That desire to fit in by owning the right product to impress your friends obviously isn’t limited to China, but selling your organs to pay for those products could well be.

Apart from the levels of Apple fanboyism in China this story suggests exist now, this also raises serious questions over the effect capitalism is having on China and its youngest residents. Thinking it’s acceptable to sell a body part in order to buy a gadget, a piece of throwaway technology, is surely the ugly side of materialism. I may be knocking a few years off my life but look at the shiny new toy I’ve got in exchange!
http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/20 ... or-ipad-2/
moongirl

Puzzle Agent 2 - Game For iPhone & iPad
http://www.telltalegames.com/puzzleagent2