4th anniversary and the new website

All updates to the site will be posted here.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Precisely the moment I post this message, it is 4:26pm local time, and 4 years to the minute (let's pretend daylight savings doesn't exist :P ) since I created the CricketMX forum. :D

It’s been a great journey, it is hard to believe it has been so long. It is hard to believe we have over 80,000 posts! What is special about this year though, is that the forum has had its first major change. We are now using phpBB v3 and we have a brand new website to go with it. It is a very exciting time, and I know everyone will have fun exploring the new features :)

Firstly, thanks need to go to our moderators. In March, talk of the new website first started privately. By June preparations were well underway, and maybe in the coming months I will post a page showing all of the different preparations we had :)

Moon, P2P and Grinch all provided a lot of valuable input into the new website. A lot of ideas were bounced around, and I think we have come up with a pretty outstanding final product.

For everyone impressed with the new logo, new ranks, coloured images... pretty much everything that is graphical, thanks must go to prototech. He spent many hours creating (and often re-creating) images for the new site. Thanks for putting up with my perfectionistic demands prototech :lol:

The theme was a complicated creation. It first started with Grinch in March when we had a completely different design in mind, but due to some technical problems we were not able to proceed with that. So I went ahead and created this one which we have now. It is not perfect, but the main forums look good, which is the main thing. Features like PM’s and the User Control Panel still need a few coats of paint, which I hope will happen very soon.

The main website is my favourite part of the revamped CMX. Areas like “Articles” and the categories like Computers, P2P File Sharing and Web Design will all be expanded over time to provide great content. I do have small request to ask of everyone - please keep an eye on a certain user we have here. He’s very new, and hasn’t quite understood the concept of forums yet. His name is “Articles Bot”, and he will post in Updates quite often seeking attention :shock: So if you see a post from “Articles Bot”, such as this one please view it, follow the links within it, and post your thoughts about the articles. Article writers (such as myself, Grinch and Layzie Bone) will write articles in such a way that they will be of interest to everyone and will hopefully spark some discussion :)

Finally, there are a few problems with the new site which are difficult to resolve. The first one is that some posts may not have been completely transferred correctly. So, if you see a post that is looking strange (it might have word’s like: ’ throughout it), it is because the encoding was incorrect on it. It is not hard to fix, so please either PM battye or p2p-sharing-rules, both of us know what to do to fix this problem.

Some peoples avatars didn’t make it. I still have a lot of them on the webserver, so they aren’t lost if you desperately need to get it back, but it will be a lot easier if you have it on your computer and you just re-upload it. As I said, if you don’t have another copy of it, I can retrieve it for you. Please PM me if that is the case.

Attachments are back! As you can see if you look over old posts, you can view every attachment that was made. Also, you can add new attachments now if you wish. Cash will be coming very shortly.

The new forums are pretty much the same. It might take a few days to get used to the new features, but if anyone has any problems I or one of the moderators will be more than happy to help you out. Please make a post in Site Comments or OT Forum and we’ll sort out any problems you are having :)

I hope everyone loves the new look as much as I do - it will be tweaked a bit because there are still a few strange colours here and there - but overall I am very happy with it and the imageset to go with it.

Happy 4th anniversary CricketMX users! To everyone, thanks for contributing so much to the forum. Here’s to the next anniversary!
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm still adjusting to the new look and feel but overall not bad.

battye, you did a good job on the theme. Didn't phpBB make a bunch of changes to the theme in between RC's? I remember that being one stumbling block. This theme doesn't quite resemble the one I was working on, it looked more like the old subSilver.

Anyway, awesome job.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's right. It caused a lot of problems for a lot of style authors and creators. Also, while both themes are still supported, it's pretty clear proSilver is being favoured (it is the default theme, it is a requirement for MOD's to work on proSilver but not subSilver etc). That also was part of my reasoning for using proSilver instead.
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Makes sense to me. The only thing I am not crazy about is the signature area seems to run into the post area, it kind of makes the posts seem very cluttered to me. Not sure if there is a way to separate it a bit.
moongirl

Congratulations Battye!! Image
Four years!! And what a terrific site you have created and have developed over that time.
We have seen some changes... but Olympus is a huge step for CricketMX & the Cricket Team.
It has slowed me down, but I'm looking around and learning to use the new layout.
It feels a bit like driving a car on the wrong side of the road at the moment :wink:
That's not the man in the moon...that's me ;)
Layzie Bone
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy

Wow, very nice....indeed....

The yellow theme looks better than the old one, clean, crisp....
p2p-sharing-rules

Happy 4th anniversary Battye & Cricketmxers ! :D :mrgreen: :wink:
There's a few people on here who will be celebrating their 4th anniversary of being members of CMX this year too.:)
garmabeaneth
Dancing Queen
Dancing Queen

happy 4th!
tunebud
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

Sorry I wasn't here yesterday for the anniversary but I am having trouble logging in on my PC.
Why I don't know all I see is the site stuff and tech info on the page. It shows me as logged in at the bottom but even when I came to here it shows me as a guest then the log in page just repeats itself. I even tried to re-register but then then agreement page repeats itself. I am on my daughters PC now and all looks fine here. We are both on the same wireless connection but I am not sure if it shows as the same IP or not. I even tried deleating all cookies still nothing.
I am just happy I could get on with this PC to let you know I have a problem.

Anyway happy 4th anniversary to all at CMX. To Battye and to all the helfull hands thanks for a great job well done.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

tunebud wrote:Sorry I wasn't here yesterday for the anniversary but I am having trouble logging in on my PC.
Why I don't know all I see is the site stuff and tech info on the page. It shows me as logged in at the bottom but even when I came to here it shows me as a guest then the log in page just repeats itself. I even tried to re-register but then then agreement page repeats itself. I am on my daughters PC now and all looks fine here. We are both on the same wireless connection but I am not sure if it shows as the same IP or not. I even tried deleating all cookies still nothing.
I am just happy I could get on with this PC to let you know I have a problem.

Anyway happy 4th anniversary to all at CMX. To Battye and to all the helfull hands thanks for a great job well done.
It is a cookies issue from several days ago. I think maybe they are old cookies from the old forum. I'm sorry you weren't able to get online :(

What you need to do, is firstly clear browser cache. Then open your cookies screen and find every cookie that mentions "cricketmx" and delete it.

tunebud
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

Thanks I just ran a couple programs and did some clicking around and dumped everything :lol: now I am on just hope I didn't muck up other places I visit and have no idea what the passwords were. darn cookies
garmabeaneth
Dancing Queen
Dancing Queen

cookies should only be had with a tall glass of cold milk!
tunebud
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

Grinch wrote:Makes sense to me. The only thing I am not crazy about is the signature area seems to run into the post area, it kind of makes the posts seem very cluttered to me. Not sure if there is a way to separate it a bit.
I agree seems the line between the post and signature throws me off thinking it is a new post. and with a big signature like what John R has makes it even worse. anyway of eliminating the blue line between post and the signature? or making the line between post more pronounced?

On the other side status is sometimes doubled Mod. then the button Mod. this area needs bit of attention

Just an opinion
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

tunebud wrote:
Grinch wrote:Makes sense to me. The only thing I am not crazy about is the signature area seems to run into the post area, it kind of makes the posts seem very cluttered to me. Not sure if there is a way to separate it a bit.
I agree seems the line between the post and signature throws me off thinking it is a new post. and with a big signature like what John R has makes it even worse. anyway of eliminating the blue line between post and the signature? or making the line between post more pronounced?

On the other side status is sometimes doubled Mod. then the button Mod. this area needs bit of attention

Just an opinion
I will make the line between signature and post darker then. What do you mean by double Mod?

tunebud
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

under the avatar it will say Moderator then the red button will say the same site admin. under that it will say Administrator
same with Miracle Worker all say the same as the red button.

can the line between post and the sig be removed?