From 1.46Ghz to 1.1 Ghz in 5 minutes?

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

Freezmizer
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

OKay a few of you are aware that I have been having a few puter related problems lately. I think I have solved most of them and I am taking a wait and see if it freezes again attitude. :?
There is one strange issue that is bugging me now though: I took my power supply out to clean the inside (still too broke to replace it :cry: so I figured it wouldnt hurt) after I reinstalled it, my power would come on, but it would flicker really bad during the memory test and then stopped either shutting down or displaying a message reading something about AGP Graphics (which I dont have) so a puter tech on the phone told me to pull the battery on the mother board and wait 5 minutes and that would reset my CMOS, which it apparently did because not only did it boot back up fine but now its running OK.
Heres the wierd problem (short story long lol) during the start up screen now when it reports what my main processor is, instead of reading AMD Athlon 1.46Ghz, it reads 1.1 Ghz. I called the guy back and he said something about (way over my head) about the frequency or something reading it as the actual speed of the CPU.
I'm wonddering if the shop that built this puter put in a 1.1 and somehow messed with the settings to make it look like a faster CPU?
Can anyone make any sense of this?
-- Ha Ha Charade you are....... --
Boozybaz
Alcoholic
Alcoholic

in your BIOS there will be a option to change CPU speed and frequency, it has happened to me once or twice, just set it back to what it should be.
"Instant Asshole: Just Add Alcohol"
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

You could also update the BIOS. I had a friend who had an Athlon and the mobo wouldn't recognize the right specs until the BIOS was upgraded. But the possibility of the PC builder overclocking it to make it more then it was is a possibility and could in fact explain some of your PC probs.
Freezmizer
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

I honestly dont know how or where to go to upgrade BIOS. :?
As far as resetting it, if it was overclocked I dont want to do that again.
I have suspected the shop that I had this puter built at to be a bunch of weasels for a long time. After I got it I went to add more RAM, there wasnt an open slot for another stick so I took it to the shop (I was a major newB at the time, afraid to mess with anything.) They looked in and instead of one 128Mb stick there were 2 64s, the guy actually accused me of messing with it since he said one of the 64 sticks didnt have their sticker on it. I damn near jumped across the counter to beat his ass. :evil:
Anyways, it seems to be running pretty smoothly now (knock on wood :wink: ) and even if it is only 1.1Ghz, I haven't noticed any differences in performance.
Thanks guys. :)
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just for future reference if you wanted to update the BIOS you would have to know the mobo manufacturer and go to their website and download the bios update. They should also have instructions on how to do it. It is a tricky operation and you can mess things up. But BIOS updates can increase performance in your mobo which is always good.
Bacon
Boo, or Boo-urns?
Boo, or Boo-urns?

Yeah what brand and make is your Motherboard? Flashing your BIOS seems like the fix to your problem, just make sure the power doesn't cut half way through doing it ;)

So yeah whats your brand and make of your Mobo.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Freez wrote:I honestly dont know how or where to go to upgrade BIOS.
Me either :?
Sorry, I couldn't help you out on this one mate :(
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Freezmizer
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

Bacon wrote:Yeah what brand and make is your Motherboard? Flashing your BIOS seems like the fix to your problem, just make sure the power doesn't cut half way through doing it ;)

So yeah whats your brand and make of your Mobo.
Luckily the puter came with the box that the board came in. (If it is actually the same one :wink: )
Box and manual read: ECS Elitegroup K7SEM
The manual seems to have a lot of info in it. I will be doing a lot of reading it looks like. :cry:
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

Just passing by and saw this post .

http://www.ecs.com.tw/download/k7sem.htm

Get the new bios prog from here , and remember to pick this up too to do the flashing.

http://www.ecs.com.tw/download/flash_award.htm