Http File Server (HFS) - personal file sharing server

Discuss the world of file sharing, from philosophy to help with applications.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

TheHawks
A Forum Addict
A Forum Addict

HTTP is an easy to use drag and drop file server for personal file sharing. It runs as a standalone executable and does not require any installation. The program is very easy to use, just drag a file into it to share it with the world. It automatically copies in the clipboard the full url of the file, so you just have to paste in your preferred chat Standalone executable.You can customize the port it is running on, specify the IP address and monitor connections from the tray icon. HFS presents the shared files on a simple HTML page, that includes the file name and size. With some HTML knowledge, you can completely customize the HTML template to meet your preference. HFS can also integrate into Windows Explorer, allowing you to easily share files from the right-click menu.

Home page
http://www.rejetto.com/sw/

Forum
http://www.rejetto.com/forum/index.php?c=6

Beta version
http://www.rejetto.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1480
ImageImage
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is the coolest thing I have ever seen.

I set one up at

http://www.grinchynet.net:1132

Check it out :D
KM
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

but... all those illegal files!!! lol

(btw, pretty much any web server will give you directory listings - i personally like KFWS when on windows)

WinMX World.com - The new help website dedicated completely to WinMX. If you cant find help there, you cant find it anywhere!
TheHawks
A Forum Addict
A Forum Addict

:shock: What Illegal Files..Lol

Grinch Good to see you using It.. :D

KFWS Check it out Good Features
ImageImage
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

TheHawks wrote::shock: What Illegal Files
I know nothing about what you speak.
KM
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

ahh, you accidently had all those copyrighted files shared on it, you where meant to be just keeping them for private use? :-D

WinMX World.com - The new help website dedicated completely to WinMX. If you cant find help there, you cant find it anywhere!
TheHawks
A Forum Addict
A Forum Addict

For Got You Can Change The Way Your HFS Page Look Llike
Take A Look At Mines
Last edited by TheHawks on Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

Hmm, very useful Hawks. I can see this being easy to download material from and a great idea as those with fast connections can get items
faster using this method than P2P.
KM
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

its well known that HTTP is a much faster method of file transfer than any other (although some will argue FTP is faster, in my experience its either slow or at the very best the same speed)

the thing i dont know is why - why do other protocols always have to go so much slower? even if you exclude any potential ISP throttles some other protocols are still not as fast because they put huge amounts of (unneeded) overhead in them - oh well, at least some p2p developers have noticed this and use HTTP for file transfers

the only problem with setting up a personal web server in this way is its not easy to search - i guess you could make a search engine for searching only HFS servers or whatever, but finding even a small fraction of them to start being able to search them would be a struggle in itself

TheHawks
A Forum Addict
A Forum Addict

Check Out The To Do List
for 2.1 FINAL
http://www.rejetto.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=763
ImageImage
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

KM wrote:its well known that HTTP is a much faster method of file transfer than any other (although some will argue FTP is faster, in my experience its either slow or at the very best the same speed)
Normally I wouldn't dream of contradicting you, KM, as you have lots more know-how than I do, but on this occasion... your experience doesn't match mine. Long ago, on dialup, I would always use FTP for downloads if there was a choice because of A. Speed and B. the ability to resume a broken download. The broken downloads issue is now largely fixed and many browsers and download managers now allow that functionality but the speed issue doesn't seem to go away. For small files (I mean up to 10 or 20 MB) there doesn't seem to be much difference but for larger ones I can still see it clearly.

For example, here at work, I'm sitting on a really nice fast line. I mean, seriously fast. The fastest HTTP transfer I ever saw was for RoboMX 1.1 which, as I wrote here in the forum came in at 808KBps which is, I have to admit, pretty fast. Last week though, I watched an FTP transfer from a site in Germany, collect 693MB (an ISO file) in less than 2 minutes. It's hard to work out what the average speed was, but I figure it was around 6 MB per second given that for it to have taken 2 full minutes it would have been 5.77MB per second. This kind of transfer is not unusual for us. Perhaps you only haven't seen the full advantages of FTP because you've never had a good enough connection to appreciate it?? You're in the UK right? Why not go and see if UKOnline can offer you their new 8 mega bit DSL? UKOL have an online (by post-code and phone number) checker for the service which costs about £40 a month, I think. OK, it's not super-cheap, but it's the fastest service in the UK for home users. For £30, they offer 2Mb lines.
KM
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

its down to the servers you download from - most of the sourceforge servers for example can only provide around 900k/s on the best of days and most web hosts will only provide at most about 1.5MB/s

generally things like ISP's hosting mirror servers for linux distro's are a good test of speeds - a lot of them only offer FTP mirrors, but some provide both FTP and HTTP from the same server- a good test of the 2 running together - at college i once managed to get around 2MB/s from a linux distro (erm, not that i would ever be doing that...) but that was the limit of the proxy server i was using for the transfer (they have a few of them, and throttle an individual workstation to prevent it effecting the connection - damn them) because i tried several mirrors via both FTP and HTTP

the HTTP protocol itself has no limitations at all on data transfer rates - there is no overhead at all on the actual transfers (just a load of raw data) and as for those other features you said you use FTP for - like resuming and such, i used to download linux distro's etc on dialup with a 2 hour disconnect about 6/7 years ago, via HTTP of course :-D

the biggest advantage to HTTP for downloading iso files etc is one thats normally not implimented - it can compress the data for transmission so it is transparently compressed at the sender and decompressed by the browser... but for some reason most servers dont impliment this for binary transfers (which makes as much sense as the average bush speech)

the only real advantage i have found to FTP is when you want to download many files/a whole directory - because FTP uses directory listings, whereas HTTP just sends down web pages - which may well list the contents of the directory, but in a form that not many clients can read... that plus of course uploading support, HTTP is extremely slow at uploading files (and a pain in the arse for uploading lots of files) but of course its not designed for that anyway :-D