[E-Mail / Browser] Mozilla Thunderbird & FireFox

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

ADi@/\/TUM
Flower Child
Flower Child

Thunderbird is Mozilla's next generation e-mail client. Thunderbird makes emailing safer, faster, and easier than ever before with the industry's best implementations of features such as intelligent spam filters, a built-in spell checker, extension support, and much more.

Smartest Way to Stop Junk Mail
Thunderbird provides the most effective tools for detecting junk mail. Our tools analyze your e-mail and identify those that are most likely to be junk. You can automatically have your junk mail deleted or you can put it in a folder you specify, just in case you like reading junk mail.

Your Mail, Your Way
View your e-mail the way you want it. Access your e-mail with Thunderbird's new three-column view. Customize your toolbar, change its look with themes, and use Mail Views to quickly sort through your e-mail.

Safe and Secure
Thunderbird provides enterprise and government grade security features such as S/MIME, digital signing, message encryption, support for certificates and security devices.

Packed with Features
Thunderbird gives you IMAP/POP support, support for HTML mail, labels, quick search, smart addressbook, return receipts, advanced message filtering, LDAP address completion, import tools, powerful search, and the ability to manage multiple e-mail and newsgroup accounts.

Unlimited Features
Thunderbird lets you add additional features as you need them through extensions. Extensions are a powerful tool to help you build a mail client that meets your specific needs.

Main Program Page
The Monthly world, daily struggle!
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

Very lovely. I vote yes to Thunderbird. I also got the tar balls for the linux versions of Thunderbird and Firefox today.
StorbinC
Nice Guy
Nice Guy

-http://www.11alive.com/news/news_articl ... ryid=59804
- If you are using the new Mozilla Firefox Internet browser, download the new version of the browser to fix a flaw that makes users vulnerable to an online fraud that takes users to fake Web sites.

PROTECT YOURSELF AGAINST Identity Theft http://wserver0.prepaidlegal.com/Multis ... storbinsky
sometime u feel like a nut
ImageImage
sometimes you don't
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

Thanx Storb, always better to be safe than sorry :)
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

Firefox 1.0.2 now available. Firefox users should upgrade as it includes further security improvements.
nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

I've had some crashing with 1.0.2
It's not bad enough to switch to IE though. :P
It'd have to reformat my hd or something before I ever switched back to IE. (Maybe 2 reformats, I'd be able to forgive the first one)
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

I've installed 1.0.2 on two machines with no problems. Does it happen at any particular point? For example, certain websites or starting downloads??? I'd suggest you re-install it.
KM
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

1.0.2 was a pain - because my system updated itself and installed the new version... to a different directory naturally, first i knew of it was when java applets and flash both stopped working because the plugins where in the wrong place - lol

WinMX World.com - The new help website dedicated completely to WinMX. If you cant find help there, you cant find it anywhere!
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

Oh dear. Sounds like I've had a lucky escape (or two). Anyhoo... back on topic. Thunderbird 1.0.2 is now also available.
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

Firefox 1.0.3 now available.
nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

I'm using it. It doesn't like my googlebar very much though. Each time I update Firefox, googlebar spazes out. It displays itself twice in the same bar. It also has a screwy context menu. I forget what I have to go through to fix it. Some combo of hiding it, or not hiding it (don't remember) and un/reinstalling it.

I'm still sticking by my claim that I'm not ditching it untill it reformats me twice.

I haven't had any/much crashing lately. It usually happens when Ive got a bunch of tabs open with all kinds of things going on, so I'm not really sure what (if any) one thing does it.
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

You could lose the googlebar. Why do you need it? Firefox has search engines built in.
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

BBC News wrote:The Mozilla Foundation has said it is "working aggressively" to fix two flaws in its open source Firefox browser.

The vulnerabilities, reported on Saturday, were identified as "very critical", but no cases had been reported of them being exploited.

Several security firms identified the flaws which could let websites run malicious code on a person's computer.

Mozilla has responded by changing its update service and says people should temporarily turn off JavaScript code.

The first flaw reported fools the browser into thinking software is being installed by a legitimate, or safe, website.

The second flaw happens when the software installation trigger does not properly check icon web addresses which contain JavaScript code.

A hacker could potentially take advantage of the security flaws to secretly launch malicious code or programs.

Mozilla advised people to download add-ons to its software manually from the Foundation's site.

Danish security firm Secunia said called the flaws "extremely critical" because cookie and history information could be used to get access to personal information or gain access to sites previously visited.

The Mozilla Foundation, which developed the browser, said it was working hard to provide a comprehensive and more permanent fix for the problems.
nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

About the googlebar:
I do use it for searching, but more than that too. I use the "find/highlight on page" feature often. I know that Firefox has a find on page feature, but I find this easier. I also use the "up a directory" and my favorite is probably the shortcut to search the site you're on for a keyword.

It also adds some context menu items that I use from time to time. It will check for a google cached copy of a page or link, translate the page to English, and check for pages linking to the current page.

I think I use it almost every time I open the browser.
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

FireFox 1.0.4 fixes three critical security problems.

Link: Download