The big CMX upgrade of 2022

Any problems, suggestions, or comments about our site are to be posted here.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Edit (May 15): So far on the roll call we have Layzie Bone, moongirl, BeeZer, garmabeaneth, pokesthelippyfish, ProgRocker, Rat, Omnist, Grinch, nesman!

If you're reading this topic, please reply -- because it's finally happening!! :mrgreen:
The upgrade is officially full steam ahead!

I will send out emails to people in the next few days to let everyone know and see if we can get the gang back together :)

I hope everyone likes the modern new theme, as warm and comfy as the 2007 look was it's definitely time to bring the site into the present :wink: :P

At the moment it's still a bit of a work in progress, so if you notice any errors or weird things please let me know :)

Everyone's existing username and password should still work to log in with. If you have trouble logging in (or registering) though, definitely send me an email and I will fix it. (so the spambots don't see it, the start of my email address is cricketmx and then there's the @ symbol and then it ends in hotmail.com)

Major things that have changed:
  • All of the spambots are gone
  • All of the spam posts are gone
  • Modern styling and forum upgraded
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Layzie Bone
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy

So far so good. The forum template is pretty cool. Haven't seen any issues so far.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Layzie Bone wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:25 am So far so good. The forum template is pretty cool. Haven't seen any issues so far.
Thanks Layzie!

The other thing I forgot to mention in the post above was I added https as you suggested in viewtopic.php?t=6553

I'm still investigating which CAPTCHA to use to stop spambots, I've temporarily disabled registrations at the moment so there's a reprieve while the forum is totally clean of spam. When I brought it back online earlier today it only took 30 minutes for a bot to register :evil:
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Layzie Bone

In my experience CAPTCHA isn't perfect but will bring it down to a manageable number. Other things like limiting new users ability to post URL's & images in posts, or which forums they can post in can be helpful too.
moongirl

"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (26 April, 2022)

Congratulations Battye!
CMX is a pleasure to use once more Image
That's not the man in the moon...that's me ;)
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

moongirl wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:34 am"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (26 April, 2022)

Congratulations Battye!
Thanks Moon!
moongirl's signature wrote:Click To Play Online-Scrabble
Fixing Scrabble will be one of the next things I get to as CMX is rebuilt :D

BeeZer
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

Here and accounted for ... Thanks battye for the help getting me reconnected to cricketmx ...
Hi to whomever may remember me ...
From the Planet Kriket
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

BeeZer wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:28 am Here and accounted for ... Thanks battye for the help getting me reconnected to cricketmx ...
It's really good to see you again BeeZer!

11 years between posts must be a forum record, but if I'm successful in getting in touch with more of the CMX regulars (or going back even further, the WCC/WCG/WinMXCommunity regulars!) maybe it's a record that will be broken again soon :D

Thanks for letting me know that your password reset email didn't go through successfully, I got in touch with the web host and they suggested some other settings to try so fingers crossed that issue is fixed now. If anyone else has any trouble getting emails please let me know :)

moongirl

BeeZer wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:28 am Here and accounted for ... Thanks battye for the help getting me reconnected to cricketmx ...
Memory still works so hi and welcome back BeeZer :lol:
battye wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:37 am
moongirl wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:34 am"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (26 April, 2022)

Congratulations Battye!
Thanks Moon!
moongirl's signature wrote:Click To Play Online-Scrabble
Fixing Scrabble will be one of the next things I get to as CMX is rebuilt :D
Thanks Battye I look forward to playing Scrabble again. I suspect Vinhkhoi is still "God" :shock:
I will leave the signature intact, although I may have to re-evaluate my 100,000 post timeframe! :wink:
pokesthelippyfish
Fsh
Fsh

Shades of past days and future dreams! Helloooo battye and everyone else!
If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi pokes, how are you going? I'm glad the new login worked, it's great to see you again!

moongirl

pokesthelippyfish wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:21 pm Shades of past days and future dreams! Helloooo battye and everyone else!
Pokes! Good to see you again :)
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

Eek
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

There he is! Was it my message on your contact form, Twitter or just a lucky login today that you discovered the new theme? ;)

Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

battye wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:59 pm There he is! Was it my message on your contact form, Twitter or just a lucky login today that you discovered the new theme? ;)
That would be the contact form. I actually do read mail.
Good to see things moving here.
CongRATulations on the new look.

.... Twitter too though.