Benchmark Tug of War

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

Layzie Bone
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy

I got an idea, might be fun in a geeky sort of way.

A computer benchmark tug of war.

How this will work:

1. Evenly divide users into teams, doesn't matter how many as long as both teams have the same number of people, so this would be the first stage...getting everyone (that will participate) into teams.
2. Must use the same benchmarking software, I've always used SiSoft Sandra, but anyone that knows of one that might better suit the purpose, please let me know.
3. Let the games begin.

I'm still toying around about how to score and how to determine the winner, I suppose the most sensible way would be the cumulative of benchmarks for each team based on category, such as:
- CPU Arithmetic
- CPU Multimedia
- Memory Bandwidth
- Hard Disk Index
- GPGPU Processing

Also keep in mind this is just an idea, if certain tests don't run on someone's PC due to hardware we'll decide a substitute to make up for it. We can also discuss handicaps and perhaps alternative software Sandra can occasionally be a pain. Also, they claim that benchmarking hardware can cause it to fail. If you're not comfortable with this, don't risk it. I would also suggest using Speedfan to monitor temps, fans, and disk health, and this includes those who arent interested in participating.

In addition to the benchmark tug-of-war, we can also do folding@home, team cricketmx (have we done this before? deja vu)

Almost forgot, RULES!

1. One computer benchmark per user (you can't benchmark all 5 computer in your home and combine them as one - unless handicaps come into play)
2. All computers must be benchmarked by the same version of software, example Sandra 2005 will report much higher indexes in some tests compared to the current version.

I think that covers enough for now, I will edit this post to make changes to the rules and gameplay so keep your eye on it as things progress :wink:

Let the games begin!

NOTE: If anyone is interested in joining a cricketmx folding@home team use this team number when configuring: 187647
http://folding.stanford.edu
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Playing with hardware isn't my thing, I think I learnt my lesson after the record 45 days of uptime on my old laptop. But this is a cool idea, if I can help out as an umpire or something - sure! :lol:
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Layzie Bone

battye wrote:Playing with hardware isn't my thing, I think I learnt my lesson after the record 45 days of uptime on my old laptop. But this is a cool idea, if I can help out as an umpire or something - sure! :lol:

This isn't a uptime contest or an over clocking contest, the cool thing that benchmarks take about 5-10 to run, so shouldn't cause any problems, unless your computer has problems..in which case you will likely have problems...