how do i move my phpbb board to antoher site?

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

katgrrl
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

ok i have a phpbb mssgboard..we've got about 14,000 posts. but i have a new domain and host id like to move it to. they had a pre installed phpbb board so i used that. id like to transfer all the posts ect from my old board to the new one. however, when i click "backoup database" on my old board, then go to the new board and click "restore database" it doesnt work-it tells me "no file was uploaded". what am i doing wrong? i really want to move it to this new domain i have.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
-katgrrl
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Make sure the phpbb prefix for your database is exactly same :)

By the way welcome to the forum :)
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
katgrrl
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

battye wrote:Make sure the phpbb prefix for your database is exactly same :)

By the way welcome to the forum :)
thanks for the welcome :)

btw-whats the phpbb prefix for my database? sorry but im kind of new to this stuff. a friend installed the first phpbb board for me, and the one im trying to transfer to was a preinstalled script when i bought a hosting package..so ive never installed it myself from scratch, you know?
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

The default prefix is phpbb_
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

What sort of database are you using? MySQL?

katgrrl
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

do i have to make all the forums first? for example onthe old board there are like 15 forums..on the new one theres only four and theyre named differently. do i have to name the new ones exactly what the old ones are named?
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, you don't have to recreate the forums :wink:

katgrrl
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

ok ive tried three times now and i can back up the db fine, but when i go to restore-just like it says to do-it looks like the file is uploading and then it tells me "no file was uploaded".

i have no idea what im doing wrong :(
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Is the file compressed?

katgrrl
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

nope... im so frustrated with this thing. i clicked full restore, downloaded the file, it was saved as phpbb_db_backup. then i go to the new board, choose "restore database", pull up that file, hit the button..it takes a while and looks like its uploading something..and then it tells me "no file was uploaded".
katgrrl
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

ps-i am just about ready to pay someone to do this for me becuz i cant seem to do it and i really need to move my board as im not happy with the host im on with the old board-the new host i have is much better annd..i just want to move. the only thing stopping me from closing down my acct at my old host is my mssgboard is there.
Boozybaz
Alcoholic
Alcoholic

sorry 2 hear about your problems

but welcome 2 the forum :D
"Instant Asshole: Just Add Alcohol"
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

There may be more solutions, make sure the themes that you were using on the old board are on the new one too. The same goes for any Modifications :)