[WinMX] winmx connection time outs

Discuss the world of file sharing, from philosophy to help with applications.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

dasha
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Hi everyone,

i have started getting time outs on all my uploads ! I'm behind firewall (at least i think i am cos i'm connected from dormatory) and i have tryed changing my ports, tryed trojan remover and some other port sniffing programs but came with no results :-( I'm kind a lost right now about al that time outs com just a couple days abo everything was working just fine both dl and ul. I had set my tcp and udp port to "unable to accept/recive..." setting and it worked till last couple of days.
So i hope that my problem have a solution cos my roommate have winmx to and he has the same settings as i and he can dl an ul without any problems!

Help! :cry:

Thx,
dasha
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Do you know if the college you're at are blocking common file sharing ports? Try changing them to something else, and tell us what happens :)

Maybe uncommon ones like 8000 and 7000, because they may be blocking 16699 and 16257 as well.
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
dasha
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

dasha wrote:Hi everyone,

I have forgot to say that i have a router that i use to connect trough to the net.

Help! :cry:

Thx,
dasha
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you are connected through a router you need to ensure that the ports you are using for winmx are forwarded through your router. You will have to go into the admin of your router and it should have a section for port forwarding. Enable the ports you use for winmx. What router is it by the way? Also depending on the firewall you will need to open the ports in that as well. Considering you are in a dorm and most universities frown upon p2p, they may be blocking ports. If you and your roomate are on the same router you may need to have your ports different from his, I'm not sure on this but it may help. Good luck.
dasha
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

grinch2171 wrote:If you are connected through a router you need to ensure that the ports you are using for winmx are forwarded through your router. You will have to go into the admin of your router and it should have a section for port forwarding. Enable the ports you use for winmx. What router is it by the way? Also depending on the firewall you will need to open the ports in that as well. Considering you are in a dorm and most universities frown upon p2p, they may be blocking ports. If you and your roomate are on the same router you may need to have your ports different from his, I'm not sure on this but it may help. Good luck.
Hi,

i should said this before - i'm not he admin of the ports nor that i have acces to routers properties and can't enable ports as i whish :cry: so if u have any idea how to go around that i'll be most greatfull :lol:

Thx,
Dasha
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately no. I have no idea to get around University Networks. I wish I could help you on this but that is beyond my area of expertise. Have you tried the WinMX Community Forum. There are a few people there that know quite a bit about networks that might be able to help.

Battye, I am not trying to take away from your forum by referencing WC but I think that might be a better place for him/her to seek out him/her problem.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

The problem was solved last night :)

Dasha said he didn't know what he did to fix it though, uploads just started working again out of the blue :?

Much the same way they stopped I spose :?
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)