Harry Potter will kill...

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

...your computer.

Apparantly a new email virus is going around, with unsuspecting victims opening the attachment, expecting to see a copy of the highly anticipated novel.

http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/4557
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
pokesthelippyfish
Fsh
Fsh

anyone opening anything from someone they don't know, much less a preview of harry potter, deserves to have their computer infected... that book is the most highly protected anything in the world ...
*rant rant rave rave
and apologies... no one deserves a worm... no matter how stupid they are
If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

... and clearly more protected than the White House :lol:
http://forums.cricketmx.com/viewtopic.php?t=4009
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

pokesthelippyfish wrote:... that book is the most highly protected anything in the world ...
I "found" an advance copy about a week ago. I'm not going to read it before I read the real thing, just in case it turns out to be half real. :)
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

I guess it will be interesting to see how they compare?

nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

It's a fairly lengthy pdf, so I don't expect that it's completely fake. Then again, it might be some preview chapter repeated 30 times. :)

Seems there's a copy running around on bt now, too.
http://digg.com/tech_news/Harry_Potter_ ... BitTorrent
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

nesman wrote:It's a fairly lengthy pdf, so I don't expect that it's completely fake. Then again, it might be some preview chapter repeated 30 times. :)
Haha, it certainly could be :P

Layzie Bone
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy

thats why i say back up your stuff...get something like Acronis, can have your computer back up and running in a few minutes just as it was...
nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

battye wrote:
nesman wrote:It's a fairly lengthy pdf, so I don't expect that it's completely fake. Then again, it might be some preview chapter repeated 30 times. :)
Haha, it certainly could be :P
It turns out that it was a fake, after all. I've compared a page or two from the real thing. My copy was somebody's fanfic, I think.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Haha, damn. I suppose it was to be expected though.