The New 7 Wonders Of The World

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

moongirl

The commonly known Seven Ancient Wonders of the World were all man-made monuments, selected by Philon of Byzantium in 200 B.C. Today, only the Pyramids of Giza in Egypt remain.

His selection of wonders was essentially a travel guide for fellow Athenians, and the stunning sites were all located around the Mediterranean basin, the then-known world.

The monuments he chose, to be remembered in perpetuity, were:

* The Lighthouse of Alexandria
* The Temple of Artemis
* The Statue of Zeus
* The Colossus of Rhodes
* The Hanging Gardens of Babylon
* The Mausoleum of Halicarnassus
* The Pyramids of Egypt

All had been built between 2,500 B.C. and 200 B.C.

Now, just as Pierre de Coubertin revived the Olympic Games in 1896 with his modern version of the competition, New7Wonders founder Bernard Weber http://www.new7wonders.com/founder.php is seeking to revive the concept of the 7 Wonders of the World with this ambitious global campaign, the New 7 Wonders of the World.
The key difference is that, this time around, they will not be chosen by one man, but rather by millions of people all over the world.

The new wonders that are selected will be the people’s choices, and they will be drawn from the earliest time that humankind walked upon the earth up through the year 2000.

It is, therefore, possible that the only survivor of the original 7 Wonders of the World, the Pyramids at Giza, could be chosen for a second time, taking them well into a third millenium of fame!
http://www.new7wonders.com/
Welcome to the election of the New 7 Wonders of the World
Your vote counts! Help make history...
Click on the images to learn more about each site, then vote.
The New 7 Wonders Of The World will be announced in Lisbon, Portugal on 07.07.07.
That's not the man in the moon...that's me ;)
moongirl

Voting time is fast running out!!
22 days 16 hours left to cast your vote!!

See the short list at http://www.new7wonders.com/
moongirl

The word is out, that there is potential here for vote rigging...Image

Would that really happen? Is this not an ideal world?
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

Sure they would. Anyway... it looks like an easy way of harvesting e-mail addresses to me.

Umm... prediction.... I bet the statue of liberty and the eiffel tower get chosen.... cos they're both relatively new and proud symbols of their host nations. I was going to vote for some of the older ones but it seems you can't vote for the pyramids, though they are a candidate. Ho hum. Anyway... I was going to vote for

Stonehenge
Angkor
Petra
Timbuktu
Kiyomizu
Machu Picchu

and the pyramids at Giza.

grr.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

I suspect Eiffel Tower will rank 1, or perhaps 2, if the Statue of Liberty beats it.... eh, same creator :)

Couldn't find the Sydney Harbour Bridge, oh well, hopefully Sydney will get represented by the Opera House.
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
moongirl

10 days 10 hours to go!!
moongirl

battye wrote: Couldn't find the Sydney Harbour Bridge, oh well, hopefully Sydney will get represented by the Opera House.
Battye...The Opera House has made the big time!!
Opera House Makes World Heritage List
Thu Jun 28, 2007

The United Nations (UN) has added the Sydney Opera House to the World Heritage list of culturally significant sites.

The harbourside landmark has won the approval of around 800 delegates at a World Heritage committee meeting in Christchurch, New Zealand.

The formal World Heritage nomination, inspection and assessment process may have taken almost as long as its construction, but delegates from 21 countries wasted little time giving the Opera House their tick of approval.

It takes its place on the register among more than 800 sites of outstanding cultural and natural significance, including China's Great Wall and India's Taj Mahal.

Prime Minister John Howard said in a statement he was delighted the Opera House has been included on the list.

"The Opera House, and its setting at Bennelong Point on Sydney Harbour, is an iconic and treasured place, not just for Australians but also internationally," he said.

"The Sydney Opera House, as an outstanding example of 20th century architecture, is a testament to the daring of architect Jorn Utzon, and to those who brought about his vision.

"It is also, of course, testament to the openness of the people of Sydney and Australia, and an enduring legacy for our place in the world."

Federal Minister for the Environment Malcolm Turnbull says it is a great tribute to the building.

"This puts the Sydney Opera House on a par with the pyramids of Egypt and the Taj Mahal," he said.

The Opposition's environment spokesman, Peter Garrett, has also welcomed the Opera House heritage listing, but says the Federal Government should now nominate other natural sites for recognition.

"It's a fantastic building, it shows what we're capable of when we harness creativity in our built environment," he said.

"But we believe it's critical that further World Heritage nominations follow for the natural environment, in particular Ningaloo Reef in Western Australia, which has long been a prime candidate for listing."

New South Wales Premier Morris Iemma has told Parliament the building has been acknowledged as a daring piece of architecture.

Australia now has 17 world heritage listed sites, ranging from the Great Barrier Reef and Tasmania's south-west wilderness, to Melbourne's Royal Exhibition Buildings.

The Sydney Opera House is the youngest building to achieve World Heritage listing.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007 ... 964906.htm

7 days 10 hours left to cast your vote!!
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah, that's good to see. :D
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
moongirl

1 day 22 hours left to cast your vote!!
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

8 hours to go now.

moongirl

LISBON, Portugal—Monuments in three Latin American countries were named among the new seven wonders of the world Saturday.

Brazil's Statue of Christ Redeemer, Peru's Machu Picchu, and Mexico's Chichen Itza pyramid were chosen along with the Great Wall of China, Jordan's Petra, the Colosseum in Rome and India's Taj Mahal.

The Great Pyramids of Giza, the only surviving structures from the original seven wonders of the ancient world, kept their status in addition to the new seven.
http://origin.mercurynews.com/