Netsky and variants

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

A few friends mentioned a sudden rise in being port scanned this week through their firewalls , a few clues may be found here i believe .http://zeropaid.com/news/articles/auto/04072004e.php
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Home computer users are being warned about a new virus which launches an automatic attack. Most viruses rely on the user double clicking on the attachment sent with an email to infect the computer. But the Netsky-V virus starts to infect the computer after the user clicks on the subject line of the email just once.
Experts say the arrival of such a virus poses the greatest danger to home PC users who are least likely to have necessary software protection.
The worm tries to take advantage of computers with M$ Outlook and Internet Explorer without the necessary "patch" in place which would prevent the attack.
Copies of the Netsky-V worm have been found in emails with the following subject lines: mail delivery sytem (sic) failure, mail delivery failed, server system failure, gateway system failure. The first line contains messages such as "converting message, please wait" and "please wait while loading failed message".
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

Well written battye :) . i mentioned the port scanning as this usually takes place before a denial of service attack as the instigator floods the network with instructions for machines that have been infected (zombies).
i hope this joins the 2 posts together :D For those who are unsure what a denial of service attack is , its when a very large quantity of machines all try accessing the same site at the same time to try to crash the site or just clog up its servers.. :( small minds...
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Some people tried to do that to Vladds forum, it backfired and now says Most Users Online: 560
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

Hmm i was,nt aware of that :o although when the room crashing days occurred i,m sure it was a first port of call for many hosts :)