new to makeing websites

All web design discussion, including Ultimate Quiz MOD support.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

John Riddler
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker
Location: I come from a place were there is a saying, and it goes "From here on there be Dragons"

hey guys i got my self a website on piczo.com if ya wanna see it its
www.last-dragon.piczo.com

i need to know if there is a HTML code to take files off your computer and put them on your site... i was told that you could do it but not shown how

if any one can tell me any basic HTML i will be greatfull :)

thanx ppl
Last edited by John Riddler on Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

For HTML I highly recommend you go to http://www.w3schools.com/ and read hrough their tutorials on HTML, XHTML and CSS.

As for moving files from your computer to your site you can use FTP to upload. I am not aware of any HTML code that will do that.
John Riddler
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker
Location: I come from a place were there is a saying, and it goes "From here on there be Dragons"

oh ok just someone told me
whats FTP when its around
John Riddler
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

oh its spam is it?
well battye i thought better of you teaching young people..err noob website creator's that
p2p-sharing-rules

8) site JR.Congrats on getting the new site up & going.
moongirl

Well done JR!! :wink:
I couldn't access jokes, chat or check out Tom!!
The page is also slightly larger than the screen, so you have to move it to see the boxes in the Caverns Of Doom.
I use Netscape.
Good luck in growing your site :wink:
That's not the man in the moon...that's me ;)
nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

http://www.perlservices.net/en/programs ... ndex.shtml

This is what I use for file uploading through a web page. You need cgi access for it, though.

I know you're just starting, so I won't be to harsh. I leave my first website up just to keep me humble. :)

Complex background images make it really hard to read text.

Just don't do anything like this and you'll be alright.
moongirl

That "this" is pretty funny Nes!! :lol:
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

John Riddler wrote:oh its spam is it?
well battye i thought better of you teaching young people..err noob website creator's that
Not at all mate: http://forums.cricketmx.com/viewtopic.php?t=2387
There was a problem, Grinch wasn't able to reply to this topic, and neither was I, so I was posting test messages :)
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
John Riddler
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

nesman wrote:Complex background images make it really hard to read text.

wow nes if i play by the rules of the background images i wouldant have a site at all
and nes the is icon is for you...

moon girl.. im sorting the site so it should be ok for netscape
Last edited by John Riddler on Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good to see you have started a site John, thanks for the linkage as well :)
I suggest SmartFTP for transferring files to your site (http://www.smartftp.com). FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol, and as the name says, it is a protocol for transferring files :wink:

If you use Internet Explorer, you can also access FTP in that, by typing in ftp.blahblah.com (blahblah.com being whatever domain / subdomain your host want you to use).

I don't know the setup of your free host, they may have an online file manager which means FTP transfers can't be made.

But seeing you have the site up, and it appears to have quite a few pages, it looks like you know what to do already :)
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
moongirl

John Riddler wrote:
nesman wrote:Complex background images make it really hard to read text.

wow nes if i play by the rules of the background images i wouldant have a site at all
and nes the is icon is for you...

moon girl.. im sorting the site so it should be ok for netscape
I like your site JR...it's very colourful :wink:
John Riddler
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

i have changed the back gound like you say,
it looks much better now
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

Nice to see your site up and running John. I have to agree with Nes about backgrounds though. Busy backgrounds make my eyes hurt pretty fast. Like mooon, I saw absolutely nowt on the chat page. Unlinke moon, I could see the jokes, but I couldn't even spot 'check out Tom'. Has that been removed? Dragon language....pretty funky... did you make that up yourself? I didn't even know large reptiles had the ability to produce vocal tones. :lol:
Anyhoo.... it's going well so far and I look forward to seeing more.

I use FlashFXP as an FTP client. Does your host allow FTP at all?? Many freebies don't.
John Riddler
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

yeah its kinda been a thing i have had all my life
im gona give this thing a shot to see if it will let me upload flash or other files