Attn: Those With Laptops

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm interested to see how long you leave your laptop on before shutting it down, and letting it cool. With 56k there's really no point leaving it on for days, because it ties up the phone line, and I'm not sure that it does the computer much good! The longest I've left it on has been about 24 hours, by that time there were flames coming off it :lol:

Any comments?

CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't leave mine running for very long because I don't use it very often. But mine doesn't run that hot so I am assuming I could leave it on for a good while before it errupts into flames.
Boozybaz
Alcoholic
Alcoholic

be fun finding out huh???
"Instant Asshole: Just Add Alcohol"
dogmeat
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

My notebook is on all the time. I do enable some power saving modes. The HD and screen shutdown after a few minutes. Of course mine is only a few months old and designed as a desktop replacement.
Boozybaz
Alcoholic
Alcoholic

but now days computers are designed to take the strain of bein on for days @ a time!
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

I let it hibernate overnight, it was fine in the morning.. Not hot at all 8)
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Boozybaz
Alcoholic
Alcoholic

cool..

for our next test he will leave it on overnight next to the radiator :?
Red XIII
Sultan Ruler Of The Poles!
Sultan Ruler Of The Poles!

lol i dun think that will work boozy :P
Die Verstorbenen werden wieder in einem Fluss des Bluts steigen
Boozybaz
Alcoholic
Alcoholic

it will help
Layzie Bone (wanabe)
Court Jester

laptops souldn't catch on fire unless something had went wrong interally, my sister's does get quite warm when the CPU stays busy, but stays cool when it idles. My freind has an older laptop with a P3 500, the cooling fan runs constantly, not automatic like my sisters, It stayed fairly cool.
tunebud
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

54 hrs. 2 min.
I leave mine on at a constant. The only time I see mine hot is if I run several high CPU usage programs at one time,closing them then letting the fans do there job everything goes back to normal.
Bacon
Boo, or Boo-urns?
Boo, or Boo-urns?

My mum has a Dell Celeron based Notebook and that won't get hot at all, during full load the fan will boost itself up a few notches but thats about it.