portforwarding

Discuss the world of file sharing, from philosophy to help with applications.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

LavaGale
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

I have read alot at portwarding.com , very helpful site.
I have a Edimax router 6104s, and a modem with a built in router speedstream 5200. I have my static ip. forwarded using the NAT settings like portforward.com said.
Firewalls in both router and modem are off.
I'm thinking I may need to do portforwarding in both router and modem, but I am sooooooooo confused. Do I forward from router to modem or modem to router, the site is not very clear about that.

Any suggestions?
Anyone?
help:-( lol
Do you have Frog Legs?
KM
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

the modem shouldn't need forwarding in most cases - unless it has a built in router

your router should give you your IP Address somewhere on the page, if it lists your internet IP Address then you dont need to forward in the modem, if it lists something different then your modem may be using a built in router which would require forwarding from moedm to router, then router to your computer. Although if that is the case then disabling the modems built in router and just forwarding from the router to your computer would be easier

WinMX World.com - The new help website dedicated completely to WinMX. If you cant find help there, you cant find it anywhere!
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

Maybe you missed a bit at portforward.com. There is a section on double router port forwarding that is quite interesting. The page is only evident if you go looking for it specifically. Hmm.

http://www.portforward.com/help/doubler ... arding.htm
LavaGale
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

ok, if I need to forward from my modem to the routher, what would be or how can I find the routers static ip address?

Or if it is as simple as truning off the modems built in router, how do I do that? And would that really be ok? cause I know my isp says use that dhcp thing, don't want to do anything to upset them or mess me up:-(

thanks for all the replies:-)))
Do you have Frog Legs?
KM
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

go to the modem config page and try disabling the "firewall" or "NAT" or whatever other names it gives you - heck, disable everything and see if it still works :-D

after doing that you should be able to restart your router and it should have an external IP Address

your ISP will be able to tell you how to disable the NAT on the modem they gave you - as it prevents you from being able to use the connection you are paying for in the way you want to and are paying to use it in

WinMX World.com - The new help website dedicated completely to WinMX. If you cant find help there, you cant find it anywhere!
LavaGale
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

Just want to let you guys know, I did it!!! I disabled my dhcp in the modem, and forwarded the ports from there to my router WAN ip.......and it worked:-))) I so happy!

Thanks guys:-)
Do you have Frog Legs?
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

Thats great to hear Lava, now you can enjoy what you have been missing out on :D
LavaGale
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

Thanks Quick:-)
Yes, I'm now on primary and can help with hosting and such, but now I can't get Mirc (TMD) to work:-(

Anyone have any suggestions?
Do you have Frog Legs?
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

Glad you got winmx sorted out.

mIRC.... There is a built in IDENT server program in mIRC. Look for it in the settings. Disable it, or, alternatively, forward the port it uses to your multitude of routers and such. :)
Some servers only allow access if your IDENT works.
Let us know what happens.