Microsoft to support Linux

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

TheHawks
A Forum Addict
A Forum Addict

Microsoft has promised to add Linux support for the first time in one of its products. Microsoft's Server 2005 product will run on non-Windows machines, including Linux. On Wednesday, Microsoft head Steve Ballmer promised to add Linux support to Virtual Server 2005 Service Pack 1, which will be shipped by the end of the year, because, he said, users need to manage heterogeneous networks. Ballmer said the company had to soften its stance based on customer demand for virtualisation, which helps multiple instances of a piece of software, such as an operating system, run on one single machine. wrote:Computer Weekly
Computer Weekly
ImageImage
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

Having picked myself up off the floor and stopped laughing, I have this to say.

Linux can already run an entire windows based operating system as an API. Nothing new there. The cynical guy inside me says that this is a M$ ploy to get a cut of the linux action.
nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

That's pretty interesting. I don't really think that a lot of people will take up on that though. I figure if they're already running Linux, they aren't going to "upgrade" to windows features.
KM
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

erm, what exactly is the point in that?

if its for running multiple virtual servers in linux, they should look at all the companies already doing that with very little additional overhead on the server

if its for running multiple OS's... VMWare (although running multiple Oservers like that is far from ideal!)

WinMX World.com - The new help website dedicated completely to WinMX. If you cant find help there, you cant find it anywhere!
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

As I said, I don't think there is a point, other than M$ wanting to attach it's name to Linux.