QuickSilvers Rant

Discuss the world of file sharing, from philosophy to help with applications.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

Hi welcome to my rant , its long and drawn out so if your busy read it in small doses..lol

We have theives among us folks, who you ask ? :shock:

Well most of you have heard of them, they are the big music companies Sony, EMI, BMG, Universal Music, and Warner, who distribute at least 95
percent of all music CDs sold worldwide.
Well, they have many smaller satellite operations to make it look like its a small operation but theses giants between them own virtually all the big
pressing and distribution chains.
Over time they joined an organisation called the Riaa which was formed to help standardise a technical issue on vinyl recordings.
Moving on to the present day the Riaa have changed beyond all recognition.
The members of this cartel enforce a rigid pricing policy in every market they come to dominate.
These same members take a massive slice of the cake you pay for the goods you purchase.
If they paid the artist even double what they do at the moment then they would still walk away with 3 times that amount themselves after expenses, in pure profit.

I would like to make my position clear on this.
I would like the right to play music I pay for in any format I choose, without paying for it twice.
I would also like the industry to recognise they cannot control or buy up all the small independant companies, who are not as greedy as themselves.
The current cartel/music industry is an extortion racket.
Their rhetoric is this "join our club or we will use our ownership and monopoly contracts to make sure you never get to a decent audience or market ".
I welcome any input from anyone who can show me different, although I have long since resigned myself to watching theses theives strip
artists and the public in many continents dry.

The fact of price fixing in many nations is what they dont want you to know folks, if I wish to purchase a cd in the UK it costs around
£14 pounds, so thats about 20 dollars ? In the US I can purchase the same item for $9 dollars !!
I wonder why this costs so much to ship to the uk ?
In fact it is not even shipped to the UK, its pressed within the UK or in europe more cheaply, so where is all the added expense coming from ?

Well it seems that they are willing to charge what they think the local market can stand, and the fact that actual disk sales are up says to them its
in their best interest to keep this rather quiet from the public, and not change a policy that keeps the cash rolling in.

The fact that Mp3,s can be downloaded with no packaging or outlay except for a high bandwidth server on the record companies behalf is lost to them. Or is it ?

Lets look at it this again, selling me something overpriced and cheaper elsewhere maximises profits for the industry. :x
I think this is the real reason behind them not wanting to allow Mp3 downloads, aside from the fact of who wants to purchase the other 10
"not so hot" tracks on the album :?

Looking at it like that its scary and understandable huh ? Not so.
I now lead on to the Itunes and Napster efforts to test the water in electronic downloads, both seem to be enjoying a nice healthy profit and the recording industry has asked Napster to increase the price recently so their members can make more out of the rich bounty, while apple quitely use the seperate market trick to overcharge any countries market it wishes to.

What can be said to all this folks ? I think it shows that the industry is scared of change that could lose them its dominant market position.
What can we do about it ? Not much except bear in mind that the large companies like Sony are the ones flooding WinMx and that the new
playstation 3 is jammed packed with digital rights management (DRM) features, that lock products to markets.
Yes DRM , nice idea if you want to control a market, and create an artifical monopoly for yourself.
Most of the heavy backing comes from Japan for this sort of technology , I suspect thats because in the eighties the Japanese industries made
major investments in some of these big companies that sit at the top of the Riaa/Mpaa tree.
Ok thats my rant completed..till next time. :wink:
Vladd44
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Let them scream to the heavens...no one is home.

The wave of history that they are resisting is inevitable. It is the height of short sightedness on their part that causes them not to see the obvious.

PS3? lol, well we all know what to do, I would rather give up fingers (left hand plz) than support a product that is working counter to my self interest.

So let them resist the inevitable. But there comes a point where the obvious becomes unavoidable.
The avalanche has already started, it is to late for the pebbles to vote. - Kosh
KM
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

i would love to find out that i was adopted, and my real parents had died and i was suddenly the owner of a huge international company, that way i'd be able to fight back using the same methods they do

unfortunately the best we can do is slowly dig down under them, until it reaches a poinnt where the ground cant support them any more and they come crashing down... and with any luck bush will be at the bottom of the pile and get crushed :-D

WinMX World.com - The new help website dedicated completely to WinMX. If you cant find help there, you cant find it anywhere!
Vladd44
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

the best we can do is slowly dig down under them, until it reaches a poinnt where the ground cant support them any more and they come crashing down
So you do learn son..... :)

It is a proven strategy, it just takes patience and determination. 2 things that are needed anyway.
The avalanche has already started, it is to late for the pebbles to vote. - Kosh
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

Uhuh.... all well and good chaps. I agree entirely with everything that has been said here. However, let's not forget that the international online community is still the minority, albeit a rapidly growing one. Even amongst this community, there is a lack of awareness about DRM and related issues. What is needed is education for the masses. As most of us have no way of reaching out to the masses, all we can do is make sure that discussions like this one are raised regularly in all appropriate media.
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

As most of us have no way of reaching out to the masses, all we can do is make sure that discussions like this one are raised regularly in all appropriate media.
Rats 100% right, we need to keep this issue alive, and fresh in the folks minds, and explore new ways of informing people regarding the
ramifications of purchasing equipment that erodes your present consumer rights, without you knowing. :x
Valor
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

I think I undestand enough about the fakefiles now to see they are formidable. There isnt anything ordinary you can do to them, They are part of the corporate machine that is intent on continued profiteering from music. With enough bandwidth we could blow their japanese honeypot network servers the fuk up but you know they're standing by with all the hardware in the world it will take to try and win by this method. The history of the music recording industry clearly shows corporate interference hoodwinked the muso's from the beginning* and made it almost impossible for the people to hear anything not signed&censored by them. The bigco's have a HUGE amount at stake here, with the sophistication of pc&software now a man in a sharp suit with a breifcase full of money isn't the only one with a machine that can "cut a record" for you, even I can do it at home and I won't charge you anything or tell you what to do.(if you are good) :wink:
Michael Hutchence came out strongly against the RIAA in his last years, his final recordings were produced by himself and released exclusively to mp3, he was later found dead, hung from a doorknob with his dick out...
Things have changed, we don't need the machine anymore, we never did. *Its just that it is everpresent in every transaction of life looking for the oppurtunitty to feed itself with more profit.
As far as distribution goes? you are looking at it.
www=The Magnificent New Medium for the Millenium Masses
Look what it has become already the machine is taking great big gulps of profit from it with their so-called spyware etc at the same time as the media machine tells everyone to watch out for dangerous"hackers" the internet machine is"hacking"and tracking you, (see cexx.org)with far more frequency and persistance than the odd "hacker"ever will and with far more sinister intent.
My thoughts on a solution atm run to approaching artists for pre-releases/different versions of songs to the ones produced by their company machine AND unreleased, unsigned, unknown, unheard of artists share a free public ul/dl ftp network for homemade mp3's only... I'm primed now! I am going to record myself singing an original composition called KMA RIAA A A A to the tune of various reworked soundbytes and will upload it it to the very first server donation over 100gb for the new http://www.thisisunheardof.com network :lol:
When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest. - Henry David Thoreau
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

Some interesting thoughts. Welcome to the forum Valor.
KM
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

Valor wrote:I'm primed now! I am going to record myself singing an original composition called KMA RIAA A A A to the tune of various reworked soundbytes
I just hope that doesn't help their arguement for censorship :-D

(and welcome to the forum)

WinMX World.com - The new help website dedicated completely to WinMX. If you cant find help there, you cant find it anywhere!
Valor
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

My thoughts on a solution atm run to approaching artists for pre-releases/different versions of songs to the ones produced by their company machine AND unreleased, unsigned, unknown, unheard of artists share a free public ul/dl ftp network for homemade mp3's only, run along t he same lines as unixpunx.org was...
What happened to unixpunx.org :( hmm just found this brave unixpunx news
What can they do to us if we network servers for a ftp/http mp3 ul/dl site?
Maybe if they do come looking for "their" music they will come across my Valor-Victory rap and offer me a contract HA.
If you can dedicate even one gb towards a free ul/dlmp3 ftp, pm me the details on this forum please
I'm primed now! I am going to record myself singing an original composition called KMA RIAA A A A to the tune of various reworked soundbytes and will upload it it to the very first server donation of 100gb for the new http://www.thisisunheardof.com network
The recording went really well and using free software I also made a mpg
version of it :lol: . For only 100gb you can now see me singing my song and doing a tiitty tassel dance at the same time :twisted:
When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest. - Henry David Thoreau
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

Lol. Link please.