Regarding Version Checker

All web design discussion, including Ultimate Quiz MOD support.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

vljenewein
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

I downloaded the Version Checker mod for phpBB. Pretty new to mods.. as in "none". I booted into my Linux Mandrake partition and used kwrite to edit the lang_main.php from the forums site (downloaded the file for work on it).

First time was a disaster, and had to resort to the renamed file I had created.

Now then, it says to upload the version.php to the phpBB director then view it through your browser. Do I upload it into a certain folder on my phpBB directories? I have 2.0.13 at least it says that in there somewhere. Would like to be able to view exactly what version I'm running.

Is adding the attachment a hard modification to do? It would be so nice to have that ability in our forums board.
Thanks!
Vernon
Running home built computer with Abit KV8MAX3 motherboard with AMD 64 3200+
Processor. 1GB DDR 400 RAM,
Maxtor 250GB SATA 16mb cache
Maxtor 120GB SATA 8MB cache
Toshiba region free DVD
NEC 16X multi DVD burner also region free
Leadtek WinFast TV 2000 Xpert video capture card

Multi boot into Windows XP, Linux Mandrake 10.0 and about anything else I want to install
Satellite 2 way internet via Hughes Network.

Former Nebraskan... fix it with bailin' wire or Elmers glue!
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't know how it was a disaster, there is only one change to make to lang_main.php, have you tried doing it by hand instead of using kwrite?

You upload version.php to the root folder, ie. in the same directory as viewtopic.php, viewforum.php etc.

The attachment mod took me about an hour, I had installed a lot of modifications by this time. It might be an idea to install some of the easier ones first and then move up to the bigger ones :wink:

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=74505
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
vljenewein
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Well, got it put in there, this time with now errors. I think when I was rough editing it, I may have put in an extra // in the wrong place, or a re-alignement of the text from the original. Actually once I used kwrite and just put in the // Version Checker // and the rest, it did not show as errors when I re-uploaded it to the server. And I did install the version.php with the other things like viewtopic.php, viewforum.php. etc.

Doesn't show version when you go to the forum board though... should it? :?

What directories are involved in updating to the "ATTACHMENT" mod? Is it something that one could send out to have worked on? *grin*
Too bad it's not automated where you just click "install" and it does it's thing!

Heard there is going to be a new version 3.0 out this year that will include the attachmen modification as standard.
Vernon
Toshiba region free DVD

Multi boot into Windows XP, Linux Mandrake 10.0 and about anything else I want to install

battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

3.0 will include attachments as default, yeah.

What is the error you are gettting?
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

Hey...

First, kwrite is fine. (For those who don't like/know linux kwrite is the KDE desktop environment equivalent of Wordpad in windows - better than notepad and not so good as a high end word processor).

Second, my advice is 'don't take risks' with the edited code. Use find to locate the parts that need to be changed. Use copy and paste to specify what to search for. Also use copy and paste to add/change whatever the mod says you should add/change. Don't try to do this manually - it's so easy to miss a letter or mistype one. In code, this can be fatal as you could be misnaming an important variable. (What variable isn't important? :) )
vljeniwein wrote:Doesn't show version when you go to the forum board though... should it?
Not in public areas, no. Go to your administration panel. If your version is not up-to-date, there will be a red warning message there.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks, I didn't know kwrite was an equivalent of Notepad or Wordpad etc

vljenewein
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Kwrite does an admirable job at editing code when I'm booted into linux (Mandrake 10.0) Linux knows php extensions and recognizes them.

When in windows, I just downloaded a new editor called Crimson Editor, and I can click on a xxxxx.php file and it goes right to work displaying it in a neat and orderly fashion.

On my forums site,when I go to the Administration panel, I see at the very bottom ver. 22.0.13 on both sides. However in the main control panel at the server, while I'm going in there to the main files, I see a text file named 2.0.13.txt and if I click on it it says version 2.0.13

Attach is a file showing the bottom of the Administration panel and the version number.
Attachments
BBversion.jpg
BBversion.jpg (8.07 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
Vernon
Toshiba region free DVD

vljenewein
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Odd..... when I clicked on "submit" after getting the file download all set, it bilnked, and lost the entire Internet Explorer. Has that happend to anyone else posting a file on here?

BTW you're maximum upload size is too broad and also too big in my humble opinion. At 5 mb you invite huge pictures, and I know there is more functionallity in the allowed extensions, but so are the possibilites of worms and such.
Vernon
Toshiba region free DVD

Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

vljenewein wrote:Odd..... when I clicked on "submit" after getting the file download all set, it bilnked, and lost the entire Internet Explorer. Has that happend to anyone else posting a file on here?

BTW you're maximum upload size is too broad and also too big in my humble opinion. At 5 mb you invite huge pictures, and I know there is more functionallity in the allowed extensions, but so are the possibilites of worms and such.
1. If the admin panel shows version 13 then you've clearly updated successfully.
2. While I've never heard anyone report the problem you say you had with IE, anything is possible. Was there any error message? If so, I'm sure battye would like to see it as he's constantly checking and improving things around here. If not, maybe it's just a glitch in IE. I recommend FireFox to everyone. :) http://www.getfirefox.com Firefox is also available for Linux and knocks the spots off Konqueror. :)
3. Yeah, 5MB is pretty big. Still, battye has a lot of space and he's paying for it. His choice. Worms can be pretty small, any attachment mod could potentially be abused. While it would be pretty easy for a disgruntled user to post a trojan or a worm dropper which could affect end users, worms themselves would probably not get on too well. Version 10 of phpBB2 was, as I'm sure you know, affected by a worm that injected itself into vulnerable php code. This isn't an issue anymore... until the writers find a way to register their bots on protected forums.

Finally, I was interested to read your sig file. Home built, dual boot. Fun. :) Is your windows legal? My home system was dual boot (WinXP/SuSE) until yesterday when I changed it back to windows only after a failed Debian install. :( I plan to buy a cheap (probably used) box from a computer exchange to install linux on and run as a server (web/mail/ftp/irc-eggdrop) as I've decided it's pretty risky to keep changing OSs on my main machine. hehe. What other distro's have you tried besides Mandrake? What, in your opinion are the best and worst features of Mandrake - especially compared to others you've tried. Was installation easy? I had Mandrake some years ago (still got the CD) but it's so old now that I really don't want to use it. Things must have moved on.
vljenewein
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Rat,
:D yes, I have the Windows XP Pro legal. I also had XP home but upgraded to the pro version. I'm running Mandrake 10.0 which was the only version that would recognize the SATA hard drives on VIA or the Silicon Images board controllers I have. Version 9.1 would not install. Mandrake 10.0 also has a lot of other extra features built in, and can be downloaded free on 3 ISO imgage files to be burned to CD, for installation. I also run Apache, MySQL, and PHP on the linux side as well when I'm in Mandrake.

I use a piece of software that is just "slick" for multi booting, called System Commander 8 I got if from http://v-com.com website and it even allows multi booting into Unix, Linux, DOS (all flavors), All windows, *even longhorn and 2003 server*, in fact just about everything that would be useful for booting into. It controls the boot sequence when booting up, makes "that" partition active and then goes into the background and occupies no resources. I've even increased the size of some of my partitions, that had DATA on them using their partitoning program (included) Imagine, booting into any opertaing system, with full icon menus at the start of bootup, and changing the size or creation of any partition, even when it has data on it.. and it doesn't get lost.

I'll attach a picture of the boot screen for you to see what I'm talking about.
Attachments
SC8Pic.JPG
SC8Pic.JPG (17.13 KiB) Viewed 3853 times
Vernon
Toshiba region free DVD

Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

vljenewein wrote:I'm running Mandrake 10.0 which was the only version that would recognize the SATA hard drives on VIA or the Silicon Images board controllers I have. Version 9.1 would not install. Mandrake 10.0 also has a lot of other extra features built in, and can be downloaded free on 3 ISO imgage files to be burned to CD, for installation.
Yeah, I found torrents for version 10.1 so I have it now. I was looking for an RPM based distro cos they're so much easier. I loved SuSE but I was running the 'personal' edition which is a bit limited and Novell charge serious money for the Pro version.
vljenewein wrote:I use a piece of software that is just "slick" for multi booting, called System Commander 8 I got if from http://v-com.com
This sounds good. I'll check it out. LILO is nice and is standard in SuSE, and also auto-detects available OS's, offering you the choice from a menu at start-up.
vljenewein
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

LILO is a nice bootloade and I set it for 8 seconds as default when I boot into Mandrake from System Commander. Example: I get the boot loader menu screen from System Commander, and it will automatically go into Windows XP withing X seconds unless I choose another operating system, kind of a default. When I click Mandrake 10.0, I'm presesned wit the LILO boot loader screen for 10 seconds or I just enter for the top one. Reason is, if something goes hayware, I can always boot into the Windows XP OS and that is where System Commander is that contains all the master boot records and boot record. Go into it, and click "enable" and it writes the Master boot record to the HD. That is needed if only the LILO overdoes the main boot and becomes the primary Boot up.

LILO won't let me go into the partitioning portion at boot up like System Commander, and resize the partitions or move free space from one partition to another like Partition Commander (part of the System Commander suite). This is all done grapically with plenty of tweaks and settings. If ever there is a power outage while moving data, it has system recovery built in to undo any changes that it made or recover at that point.
Vernon
Toshiba region free DVD

Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

Sounds like magic. Thanks for the info. I'm gonna give that a try.
vljenewein
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Also the newe System Commander 8 will recognize Microsoft code name "Longhorn" os as well as Windows 2003 Server.

I use the Windows Longhorn Background wallpaper for my desktop build 4051.. it's really nice! Looks like a wheat field, with some pine hills in the background and nice whispy clouds.. if anyone is interstested in it, I will post it in here as an attachement. *S*
:D
Vernon
Toshiba region free DVD