Roboserve Project Ended

Discuss the world of file sharing, from philosophy to help with applications.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

Bad news , folks Bender made this announcement today..
/me is tired of roboServe... And I rather spend the little time/interest I have for my programs in developing RoboMX/Metis
Anyone interested in continuing development? I doubt lol.
Anyway, there are other great servers out there, personally I'd stick with WinMX 3.5x
WCS has some potential if KM sorted out several crashbugs and the memory leaks. Ouka is good too, though I dont like the RCMS way of doing things.

So long!

Bender.

Oh well it was good while it lasted , I am lucky this announcement was about now as it was next on my tutorial list :?
KM
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

he mentioned me first... you could learn something from him :wink:

i actually think that roboserv is a pretty reasonable server, and to be honest if the 2 of us had been competing for users then he would have gotten them all easilly - the only reason i can see for most of the users on MCS or WCS is because i got there first

of course if he changes his mind and continues with roboserv then this post never happened and i never said any of that :wink:

some competition is good because it keeps the two sides comming up with new ideas for features, which the other person then takes up as well and then adds to... oh well, there are still a few others but i dont think there will really be much competiton until nushi releases NACS - perhaps i should make another chat server and release it under another name, then I can compete with myself :D

WinMX World.com - The new help website dedicated completely to WinMX. If you cant find help there, you cant find it anywhere!
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

Well another more important aspect here is that Bender is one of the few folks to actually give the source code for all his releases so others can
take up the challenge when there skills are up to it .
Ouka and yourself are both rather reluctant to carry on in the same vein,
but, as we are talking server progs here I,ll err on the side of caution and agree that this may be a better plan for the time being.
I am actually very worried that the Nacs will ever be updated and released, as Nushi has not even updated a single item in over a month, and before it was daily :?
KM
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

there are advantages and disadvantages to releasing source code, neither option is really any better than the other, its the authors personal preference more than anything.

Although with a protocol implimentation thats as easy to break as winmx's making it too easy for people to ***** things up is one of the factors that has to be taken in to consideration - thats why i'm reluctant to release too much, although I have eventually released most of it at some point ;-)

I think open source is good for most things, but something like a winmx chat server is perhaps not the best example of one of them, but its a bit late for that discussion now anyway

WinMX World.com - The new help website dedicated completely to WinMX. If you cant find help there, you cant find it anywhere!
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

Hmm , :shock:
but its a bit late for that discussion now anyway
I think if you look on Benders site ,I was one of the first to voice concerns that have proved to be with validity.
Servers have caused a lot of problems for the network , and are still doing so .
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

For those still using the [rose] servers and finding that if you shut the room down it will not open again theres a snippet of news
Because it checks for update first and as it cant find one it will refuse to work nicely, you can open the room as mentioned in this thread ,
by manually entering your IP address into the server

http://mxcontrol.sourceforge.net/module ... opic&t=858

Anyone who knows any C++/MFC code ?

Please make your way over to Benders forum if you feel up to improving it and answering technical queries relating to this discontinued project.
Jimmys444
A Forum Addict
A Forum Addict

[RoSe] RoboServe have some triks and is able to do it to work and with out the file in bender server :wink: 8)

Search a bit and i bilive you cant find it! :oops: :twisted: :lol: 8)