Exeem

Discuss the world of file sharing, from philosophy to help with applications.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

This is the program fronted by Sloncek of Suprnova fame and is supposed to be able to make torrent sites redundant.
Described as a cross between Kazzaa and Bit Torrent, few useful details have emerged , except the announcement of ad provision within the release.
The program is currently in beta and will be released in a few weeks on Exeem.com
It seems that the ad support embedded into Exeem is provided by Cydoor , a notorious spyware vendor
More worryingly Sloncek is refusing to name the company involved in the deal , this is a major cause for concern
Doubts have also been raised about the supposed cross platform operation with there only being plans for a windows release ( The grapevine suggests that this is because Cydoor will no operate on mac or linux correctly) for those itching to get there hands on this get a beta copy here , although I have been informed its protected by a ip specific serial

http://82.149.22.18/eXeem%20BETA%200.16.zip

For more comments on the program itself

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/1 ... 4&from=rss

http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=632

I hope to hear better things from this program come the release date , other wise it will join my list of "compromised" P2P programs :roll: :evil:
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm not joining the hype on it. I'll wait till it comes out of beta and watch the reviews come in. Having a known spyware vendor attached to it is troubling as well. Could the MPAA/RIAA be behind this as well? Hmmm, oh the conspiracy theories.
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

I think thats a great idea Grinch .
Although I was looking forward to this to make a decent counter attack against the Mpaa /Riaa folks, it seems that something is not quiet right with it all for my taste . :?
Vladd44
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

doesnt sound so promising....

and exeem isnt really Sloncek's program, he is just getting paid to pimp it out on us.....

and its windows only..... another problem
The avalanche has already started, it is to late for the pebbles to vote. - Kosh
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Now that it has been done, it shows that it can be done. It's inevitable that more promising variants will pop up in the future, P2P is always changing, this is just a new wave in the cycle.
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Red XIII
Sultan Ruler Of The Poles!

Honestly I think the RIAA wants P2P to exist cause otherwise they would smash down on every new program that came out now wouldn't they?
Die Verstorbenen werden wieder in einem Fluss des Bluts steigen
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Why is the company name so secretive. Sloncek doesn't mention. That and spyware being attached to it bothers me. You can write a p2p app using 12 lines of python code. There was an article on that a while back. Creating a p2p app isn't difficult. Keeping it out of the eyes of the bad guys is the problem. WinMX has been doing it for how long? There are other very private p2p networks that are invite only, the problem is getting the invite and then you are limited to what you can download due to the size of the network. p2p will not go away. BT2 is in development from what I understand and may be a blessing to the BT community. I just don't think exeem is the answer.
tunebud
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

I to don't like the exeem idea,not to mention the fact that it was all on the quiet side until the recent attacks on certain BT networks. Now every were I go all I hear is exeem hype. Seems every site has the same paragraph about it,and also on allot of sites you can download the same Beta which don't work.

My main question (concern) though,who released the Beta they were entrusted with to test to public torrent sites?
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Red XIII wrote:Honestly I think the RIAA wants P2P to exist cause otherwise they would smash down on every new program that came out now wouldn't they?
No, it's safer for the RIAA to target individual users as the network, program, protocol can all be used legally. Like how BT could be used to transfer large documents, it was just moulded into what we have now where people are using it to download copyrighted material :)
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

The beta will work , but it connects to 82.149.22.18 port 1026 for authentication of the serial . (Triera Internet in Slovenia)
Obviously the fact that its password protected and Sloncek himself admits a company brought the product to him 2 months ago makes me think there is a degree of showmanship in all of this.
I gathered the above internet transaction after closing the program, so it is my advice not to bother downloading the beta , as I find this also disturbing.
If you just wish to view its interface then close the password box and have a poke about , at your own risk of course :wink:
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can utilize the beta as a BT Client without the serial but you will not be on the exeem network.

I have not tried this myself but have heard it works from reliable sources.
Red XIII

Sounds like a little too much to get one thing to work :lol:
Die Verstorbenen werden wieder in einem Fluss des Bluts steigen
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

More news regarding the Exeem program.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4149647.stm

Digging through some of the old news , it seems that theres going to be a problem with identifying "real " files from spoofs :roll: Great.... :!:
Also the shadow company has at last put up a public front , well sort of ...
Despite Suprnova administrator Sloncek's involvement with Exeem, the basic technology appears to have been developed by a firm called Swarm Systems that is based on Caribbean island Saint Kitts and Nevis
Dr Johan Pouwelse, peer-to-peer researcher claimed the rating system in Exeem seems flawed because it is easy to insert both fake files and fake ratings
An early public version of the software should be available before February.
I have posted these quotes as I felt these are the most important factors in the bbc report.
Rock
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

a trackerlesss bittorrent ... hmmm sounds to good to be true!!! thats all im going to say until i investigate it further