Filtering fakes

Discuss the world of file sharing, from philosophy to help with applications.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

Over on the filebreech forum 'Six' wrote:I was reading the WinMX newsgroup this morning and found something I thought was quite interesting. A user reported that blocking the IP ranges of 209.11.134.* and 209.10.143.* in his firewall (he uses Kerio, but others also have this option) has improved his primary connection, because the 'fakers' use those port ranges. The improvement comes from freeing up the bandwidth normally used by the fakers, thus allowing legitimate users to feed off of them.

It was also reported that filtering searches by adding -Shared to the bottom search box also helps because the fakers tend to share from C:\My Shared Folder, although it wasn't mentioned if this was for audio or video filtering. Through my own experimentation I've found that c:\My Music (note the lower case 'c' for the drive letter) is also being used as a fake shared folder and that -Shared -Music works even better for filtering both audio and video searches. Of course the filtering will exclude quite a few legitimate sources from searches, but queuing, doing a search for alternatives, clearing the top search box and searching again using the HASH alone should remedy that.

Using my secondary (dial up) connection, a normal 'MP3 Audio - Any Bitrate/Any Connection' search for Lil Jon yields several thousands of results with varying frequencies between 320 and 128000, but using the filter I received only 489 results (all except for a couple were seemingly legitimate with a 'normal' frequency of 44100).

A normal video search for both Dodgeball and Shark Tale also turns up an extreme number of results, but a filtered search yielded only 94 and 100 results respectively, with no outlandish numbers under the Status/Server column as is common with fakes.

Try using the filter yourself, especially if you're after newer releases. It could save you from some headaches.
I'm trying this right now. It appears to work. Also, my client connects much faster (a second or two at most) having blocked those IP ranges. Amazing.[/quote]
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm interested in this, also, where can I download Kerio? I have Sygate but I don't want to continue using it.
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

http://www.kerio.com/kpf_home.html

I've blocked the IPs in sygate tho.
Red XIII
Sultan Ruler Of The Poles!

Interesting...now if i could just get my router to work :lol:
Die Verstorbenen werden wieder in einem Fluss des Bluts steigen
ZaRdOz420
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

eeeeek!

why would any sane person do away with sygate? :shock:
Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!!
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

I like Kerio :)
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Red XIII

I used sygate and it was very good, but it did prevent me from doing a primary connection on winmx :?
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

Thats what firewalls are suposed to do , they work better when set up correctly :)
Red XIII

Which means im keeping it off when i want to primary connect again!! :lol:
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

Hmm the last words of a madman, RIP Reds XP [-o<
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

quicksilver wrote:Hmm the last words of a madman, RIP Reds XP [-o<
:lol:

Red XIII

Are you kidding!? My router is so f-ed up right now aint a trojan that could get through! :shock:
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

I have been doing a bit of research recently and was studying the flooders IP ranges and one whole range stood out as worth blocking
the 61.0.0.0 to 61.255.255.255 range .
This is being used by Sony Sanyo and Panasonic to flood WinMx from, and is the single most important range I can see being used.
There are some others run by Globix and Media Sentry in the 204 and 209 ranges (they like to shift around a bit to keep you on your toes :lol: ).
I dont often get any material from Japan, and I,m sorry that innocent folk within that range will suffer but WinMx is under attack
and the enemy is doing a lot of the attacking from there ,so I would urge you if you can to block that range and see the dramatic drop in flooding.

For those interested, Peer Guardian and Protowall will cover theses ranges too but they seem to not be doing the entire range, and thats
how the flooders are able to keep being effective .
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bender979
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

http://mxcontrol.sourceforge.net/module ... =1&thold=0
http://mxcontrol.sourceforge.net/module ... oad&cid=23

If I have some more time, I will modify the patch to automatically update the list of blocked IP's from the web. I might also include the channellist patch and an automatic filter to sort out files with odd bitrates and filenames that are likely to be "fake" (configurable)

Only if I have time though, lol.