Password Protected Torrents

Discuss the world of file sharing, from philosophy to help with applications.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

I have noticed that certain torrents are protected by a password and some (warezcorp) , even want you to sign up to their forum before letting you have the password, also this was mentioned on vladds too with another releaser of files .

http://www.vladd44.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3747

The good news is that most of the torrents are password protected by simple names such as suppliers name or lower case letters of the artists/product name IE :

Joe Soap Live_ etc password would be joe or joe soap

or the suppliers name , http://WWW.SOAPWAREZ.COM (ficticous :) ) , in upper or lower or as shown on the torrent title

If you get stuck ,a lot of torrent forums are starting to have password sections where you can find out the exact one for your title so check those out too ,hope this save you a few hours of annoyance :)
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is a stupid thing to do and a shamefu way to get people to visit and register to their site. BT is designed to be free, not to be forced into registering everywhere you go. Registration has its advantages but not necessary.
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

I actually tried to register with warezcorp at first to try to get a password but its mostly in mexican or spanish and you get an e-mail requiring you to part with cash too so I gave up at that point .
If anyone asks me my advice I will just have to tell them to avoid torrents from warezcorp , and try others , as you could never be sure of getting the password for that file .
I also found you can break the passwords but it takes about 4 days with a standard rar cracker :evil:
Hardly worth seeding their products for them ,maybe I should complain to the tracker hosts about this practice ?
tunebud
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

I didn't know what exactly you were saying here Quick,until I downloaded one of these torrents :?

I left a nice lil post on the tracker forum I got it from. Like you all I don't understand why one would use this practice besides it didn't list it was pass protected and all the torrent info. was in English were the site to get the pass from was in Spanish,which I can't read :oops:
Freezmizer
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

grinch2171 wrote:This is a stupid thing to do and a shamefu way to get people to visit and register to their site. BT is designed to be free, not to be forced into registering everywhere you go. Registration has its advantages but not necessary.
I agree Grinch, that is a shameful practice and actually turns people off from supporting or even using a tracker that does that.
I, unlike a lot of users am a fan of using trackers that require that you register before downloading and uploading and that keep a ratio running. I find that the speeds are more reliable and consistent that 'open' trackers since anyone who doesnt seed back is eventually banned.
But registering should be a choice before you download, not as a dirty trick afterwards.

I once downloaded a password protected torrent, and had the hardest time cracking it. When I finally got it opened, guess what was in the NFO files? haha! yeah the password to open it!! :evil: