Linux

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Anyone here use Linux? If so how can you upgrade and retain all files from Windows like documents, mp3s, movies, games, software etc (not the Windows dll's and M$ crap :lol: )
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

On my system, all the windows files are accessible from the linux partition. If you were wanting to ditch windows altogether the safest way would be to copy everything you want to CD and reformat. If you use the deltree command to remove windows (under DOS) it won't save you when you install linux cos the installer won't recognise another operating system and the remaining data would be lost when linux formats the drive. So, if you have space..... the easiest option is to create a new partition for linux on your drive and install there. (Note that Linux also needs a second partition - a swap file - and that this must be at the beginning of your drive for best results - Partition Magic can shunt all your windows data up a little but of course, this is risky - you need a full backup if you have a lot of data. It was easy for me - new system, little data.) If you decide to ditch windows afterwards it would be ok as you could delete the windows directory from linux.

I think. :lol:
Bacon
Boo, or Boo-urns?
Boo, or Boo-urns?

What Rat said.
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've been playing with Linux a bit. Right now just trying to figure out which distro I like better. Also need to beef up the PC specs a bit (I'm running it on an old ass K6). But I am not interested in keeping any windows files. This Linux box will do nothing more then host a tracker (they work better for trackers). But at least it is good to know that you can utilize your windows files on Linux.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

So I could run Windows and Linux together? I like the idea, might have to ditch my movies though, I have like 20GB of them (40GB hd :lol: )

Most important question (not really) is can I do this without losing my uptime? :D
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Propably not since you will need to reboot to install Linux and then everytime you want to switch OS's you will need to reboot.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well that settles that :x
No Linux for me!

(I'm kidding :lol:)

I will look into Linux some more, thanks for everyones advice :)

Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

No. You can't. Installations require restarts. Most distributions recommend using a set of installation CDs or a DVD so that means rebooting from an optical drive.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

How would I go about making a partition? I have 5GB free, is that enough for RedHat?

Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

You should be fine.
ADi@/\/TUM
Flower Child
Flower Child

I have two 160 Gig HDs.... Now if I move all my files over to the second drive, format the OS drive.... and put Linux on that formatted drive, would it work?

or will windows still be on the second drive?

Another question, could I have Windows on one drive, and Linux OS on the second drive
The Monthly world, daily struggle!
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

You may be able to find your answer here:

http://www.tldp.org/tldp-redirect.php?u ... owtos.html
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

Battye - the swap partition should ideally be twice the size of the memory in your machine. I have 512MB RAM so I made a 1GB swap partition. The remaining 4GB you have free will be fine.

Adi.... If all your files, including the Windows OS are copied onto one drive, and that drive is set as bootable in your BIOS, windows should be available. If the disk is not bootable you won't have windows. Linux does its own formatting when you install it as it uses a different file system (two actually, Ext 2 and Ext 3 but I think most folks use Ext 2). In answer to the other question, yes, you could have a windows drive and a seperate linux drive - if they both have an activated bootable partition.
I'd suggest leaving windows where it is and cramming your other windows files onto that same disk. Allow linux to reformat the other disk. Most linux distributions come with a boot manager called LILO which will look after setting up a dual boot system for you. To be on the safe side, make sure you have a bootable rescue disk (a floppy!!) for windows so you can install something like BootMagic (which comes with PartitionMagic). Better get the windows rescue stuff sorted in advance.
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

I agree with Rat partition magic 8 is what you need to create ,shift or resize partitions .
I use it myself to have a backup drive in case a virus strikes me :)
ADi@/\/TUM
Flower Child
Flower Child

Thanks for the info guys, this weekend I shall try to create a dual boot system, because I still really do want to keep my Microsoft, whilst I learn the Linux..... I have used Red Hat in the past, but some things are still new to me.
The Monthly world, daily struggle!