PCs or Macs

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

thomaswos

- post removed -

Do you use PCs or Macs?
Last edited by thomaswos on Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moongirl

It is good to see you at CMX Thomaswos

I'm a long-time PC user...and I'm sticking with XP :)
That's not the man in the moon...that's me ;)
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum thomaswos, good topic :)

I've used both PC's and Mac's. My main computer was on Windows up until about 2008, since then (so for nearly 2 years) I have been using Mac OS X. I like both operating systems for different reasons.

Windows
I like Windows a lot, I have used Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME and Windows XP (never used 2000, Vista or 7)... I had even used Windows 3.1 a couple of times back in the mid-90's although (never owned a PC with it though). I don't understand why so many people dislike Windows, because I have never had any major problems with it. Perhaps I have been lucky :lol:

What I like most about Windows (especially ME and XP) is I am so familar with it - I felt there was a learning curve going to Mac. Just simple things like ejecting a CD from the drive took a while to figure out in Mac (having to click the Eject button in the Finder window, or pressing the button on the keyboard - as opposed to pressing the button on the disk drive on a PC). Also, I like some of the applications for Windows better - things like SmartFTP and uTorrent on Windows are better than their Mac equivalents. This is just a personal preference though.

My favourite thing on Windows though is that it tends to be more compatible. For example, watching cricket streams - not easy on Mac because the software is not available. But on Windows, just a couple of mouse clicks. I guess as Apple gets a larger slice of the market share this will change though.

Mac
My iMac is faster than any Windows machine I have used. It freezes less, and when an application does freeze it is generally easy to get out of it. I remember on Windows the application stops responding, the screen goes white, you go Ctrl+Alt+Delete, click End Now... the End Now window freezes, you try to quit that, etc, etc... On Mac it is a lot quicker to end an application. Ctrl+Alt+Escape, force quit -> done.

Also, Mac is based on Unix, so it comes with a lot of the benefits of Unix. Java, Perl, C etc all come with the operating system and can be run very easily from Terminal.

I love the way my iTunes is set up on my Mac... the integration between iPhoto, iTunes and my iPhone is seamless. For multimedia Mac is great. I don't know anything about photo/image editing, but I believe a lot of people choose Mac for this.

Verdict: I like Windows better, because it does more for me. Just simple things like having a lot of ports (like S-Video for one) in the back, as opposed to the very few in an iMac.
On any given day, a Mac is probably better because it is superb for listening to music, browsing the internet, etc. However, for those times where I want to do something more with my computer, I'd prefer to use Windows (and in those situations, I get my XP laptop out) :)
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Layzie Bone
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy

I'm no mac user either but I'll throw in my two cents anyway, these days running windows, mac, or even linux can get you just about anywhere. Computers running Windows are more flexible with most all software and hardware that is out there. This is good because I have a lot of choices and prices are much lower. Where as apple has a smaller selection and customization, and you'll find that prices are much higher than Windows based systems. You'll find that surfing the net and for most basic uses with computers your experience will be similar, when it comes to software intergration for the average user someone using a Mac would have better things to say than out Windows and Linux counterparts. Linux is free, so if you're broke, or just cheap Linux is the best way to go. Read nesman's "Ready to Switch from Windows to Linux" All 3 platforms are very usable, most are very friendly, some of the basics are slightly different, although if they were all the same Microsoft and Apple and the Linux guys would be busy suing each other, and well they all are anyway. We can't really say Windows is a piece of crap, and we certianly can't say Apple or Linux are perfect systems, they all have the good, the bad, and the ugly about them, so it is best to use the platform that is going to give you the best benefit. If you don't want to have to worry about anything working or not, go with Windows. If you're into mutlimedia, video, graphics, and just want things to be seamless and want things to work out of the box then go Apple, if you're somewhat savy or even if you're not so savy linux is a great way to go as well.

A lot of people don't know that you can shutdown windows xp with three keystrokes, Logo, U, U. Or that Logo + Pause will bring up the System Properties, there's a lot of secrets about Windows, and I'm sure OSX, and Linux has it's share.

I'd say this question 8 years ago posed a more serious answer, I guess anything goes these days.
moongirl

Layzie Bone wrote: A lot of people don't know that you can shutdown windows xp with three keystrokes, Logo, U, U. Or that Logo + Pause will bring up the System Properties, there's a lot of secrets about Windows, and I'm sure OSX, and Linux has it's share.

I'd say this question 8 years ago posed a more serious answer, I guess anything goes these days.
I can't do this one as my keyboard was made without the word logo on it! Image

Thanks Layzie...I like to try tips to see how they work :)
That's not the man in the moon...that's me ;)