[ALPHA] Ultimate Quiz MOD v2.1.2 Progress

All web design discussion, including Ultimate Quiz MOD support.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

uk_martin
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

I don't envy you the task of sorting BBCode out. I'm in the process of migrating my phpBB2 site over to phpBB3. The database transfer went well, and all the messages are there, but some of the custom BBCode that I had added into phpBB2 with various MODs didn't translate over, so I had to recreate Custom BBCode in phpBB3, and then edit/save every post so that the BBCode would re-parse. It also means now that I have 2 lots of BBCode in my new phpBB3 set up that replicate the same functionality (e.g. aligning images etc) What fun!

From some of the above posts, I gather that you are going to include the facility to insert media into the quiz questions. I'ms especially looking forward to that as I would like questions with a short video clip and a "what happened next" theme to them.

Looking forward to seeing how things develop.

Martin
quahappy
Happy, not Quappy
Happy, not Quappy

Hi uk_martin and welcome to CMX!

I'll also be migrating to phpBB3 at some stage although I'm not looking forward to that job as I'm the only one technically-minded to do that at my site lol. In terms of BBCode, I have a few extras like YouTube, Align, and HTML (which only is active for me). So I'm "really" hoping the transfer will go easy but the thought of checking every single post...

The great thing with UQM this time round is that when submitting a quiz, "Step 3 of 3 - Check all is correct!" is like a preview so you'll be able to see any BBCode used in full effect, which is extremely handy!

battye - the link: http://forums.cricketmx.com/quiz.php?mode=submit at present is only showing two categories and clicking on either doesn't do anything. Is the Submit a Quiz section temporarily disabled? ;)
If you don't ask...
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

To sum up the progress just made:
-> Submission page complete, should work with bbCode as well. I realised I am missing a field to give the time of the quiz submission but that can be done at any time
-> Started work on the quiz index page (http://forums.cricketmx.com/quiz.php)
-> Started work on displaying the categories (ie. http://forums.cricketmx.com/quiz.php?category=2)
-> Added a few new functions (to "get category name" or "find number of quizzes in a category", etc).

The quiz index/category displays shouldn't take too long, so the next phase is to do the "playing quiz" page.

----------------------------------------------

uk_martin/quahappy: I imagine that embedding Youtube videos and things like that would be fine provided that it is done through the custom bbCode feature of phpBB3. I will test that out soon, it might stretch the layout a bit but that is unavoidable. I am sure there are small Youtube players that could be embedded instead of the full sized one.

quahappy: I think I forgot to add something to the "else" statement :cry:
http://forums.cricketmx.com/quiz.php <-- Main quiz page, and if you click the categories it will list the quizzes within. It's pretty primitive as I have only just started doing that bit.
http://forums.cricketmx.com/quiz.php?mode=submit <-- submission link, which should be working now.

CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

I found a bit of time today, so I cleaned up the category view page. An example can be seen at:
http://forums.cricketmx.com/quiz.php?category=2

Also, I added the "quiz submission date" - I must have forgotten to add it before. Obviously the dates aren't correct at the moment (24 Jun 2009 03:25 pm?!?!), I just made those up so it would say 1970 :P
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
olalavui
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Wait rs
My phpBB3 site: http://best4teen.com (site on dev by Vietnamese popular, not sp if en and vi)
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum olalavui :)

battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Okay - done a bit more on the play quiz page today. Example: http://forums.cricketmx.com/quiz.php?mode=play&q=3
As you can see, the bbCode works well as does the overall display. At the moment, submit/save does not function but hopefully that will tomorrow (haven't written that part yet). There is a blank input box down the bottom - that is not a mistake. It will hopefully appear the "time limits/countdown" thing, I don't know why it isn't working to be honest. I tested it on a blank HTML page and it worked. It's late, so it is something I will have to look into tomorrow :)

Lugsciath
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Okay,

just waiting for ;) ... happy eastern ;) !

LG

Uwe
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Happy Easter to you too Lugsciath :D

I have finished the "playing quiz" feature now, so it will tally your results and give you answers, etc. Please test it out and let me know what you think :D

I have yet to complete the "save quiz" feature, which will just be a simple thing so that people can stop a quiz and resume it later (it will list what your saved answers were, but won't automatically fill out the fields - maybe a later version will). I will write it so it works within the "time limits" and is an optional feature. Maybe it will be finished tomorrow? That is my aim.

Overall, once this is done I am happy to release an alpha type version that people can play with. Or I can wait until I have written an admin panel module - whatever you guys want. Then after the alpha release, I will add the refinements (the smaller features) and the editing/deleting/move category function (which will be a whole new file - quiz_cp.php like in the phpBB2 version of UQM)

Just for interest:
quiz.php - 828 lines
functions_quiz - 135 lines

File structure so far:
UQM file structure
UQM file structure

Lugsciath
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Here we go:

At first: It looks great. The submitting of quiz is ok, the saving of quiz (saving means in separate cookie or sql query?) seams ok, too.

One Thing:

if i use the backbutton of my browser (after submitting/saving) i get:

Code: Select all

SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1 [1064]
Think this message is produced through a empty query / variable ... don´t panic. Most People doesnt use the backbutton of browsers :)

Thats all, looking for the very first alpha :) - ready for takeoff.

Greetings

Uwe
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lugsciath wrote:if i use the backbutton of my browser (after submitting/saving) i get:

SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1 [1064]
Think this message is produced through a empty query / variable ... don´t panic. Most People doesnt use the backbutton of browsers :)
Hmm, I can't reproduce this? Did you do anything in particular during the quiz like leaving answers blank, or waiting until the timer had gone down to 0, etc - before you submitted and clicked the back button? :?

Lugsciath
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

No. nothing such things. I only use the backbutton (and i wonder about the message). But it might cause by my browsercache ... normally i´m using firefox. Thought it would be helpful to tell you that errormessage ...

hm. I can reproduce that.

First i press "submit" and i get the resultpage. Then i press backbutton by browser.
i startet again on quiz with marked answers. Then i press "save", but then i got that error message.

http://forums.cricketmx.com/quiz.php?mo ... ion=submit

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.

Please notify the board administrator or webmaster: administration@online-scrabble.com