[ALPHA] Ultimate Quiz MOD v2.1.2 Progress

All web design discussion, including Ultimate Quiz MOD support.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Current progress for the Ultimate Quiz MOD v2.0.0.

Update (February 1): See this post for the latest details: http://forums.cricketmx.com/viewtopic.p ... 378#p99378

Translations: (for Beta 4):
http://forums.cricketmx.com/viewtopic.p ... 379#p99379 - German (Lugsciath)
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... #p11918875 - French (Apophis72)
Ultimate Quiz MOD v2.0.0 features
  • QUIZ CATEGORIES
  • unlimited categories
  • password-protected categories
  • category descriptions
  • ACP controllable (including edit and delete functions)
  • ACP OPTIONS
  • minimum/maximum number of questions permitted
  • maximum number of multiple choices permitted
  • show/hide answers
  • define the number of statistics shown
  • definable quiz introduction text
  • allow only admins to submit quizzes
  • users can/cannot play their own quizzes
  • SUBMIT QUIZ
  • easy to use submission page (shown in steps)
  • bbCode enabled
  • quiz types include true/false, input answer and multiple choice
  • select quiz name and category
  • PLAY QUIZ
  • ACP definable time limits
  • ability to save and resume quizzes
  • in-depth results page
  • survey results give a rundown of how users have answered
  • STATISTICS
  • "Best results"
  • "Most played"
  • "Most correct answers"
  • "Highest percentage of correct answers"
  • CASH/POINTS COMPATIBILITY
  • ACP definable compatibility with cash/points MOD's
  • points gained for correct answers
  • points lost for incorrect answers
  • QUIZ CONTROL PANEL
  • users can edit their own quizzes (can be turned off in the ACP)
  • admins have full Quiz CP access
  • edit quizzes
  • delete quizzes
  • move quizzes to another category
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
moongirl

Good news Battye.
I am looking forward to the day quizzes return to CMX.
I am ready, willing and able to write new quizzes :)
That's not the man in the moon...that's me ;)
Lugsciath
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Hello Battye,

i will translate it to german language, if you needed. Also i´m waiting for a betaversion, i want testing it at my board if it´s ready for trying. Btw: Please build in to access on the single results of some quizzes/tests (wrong/right display every single question) and saving into a database for later viewing (i also take this quiz as a multiple choice quiz for students), it would be great ;)

Good look with programming

yours

Lugsciath / Uwe (Germany/Europe)
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks Lugsciath, I will have the quiz results saved into the database :)

The beta testers should have all got a PM with a preview of the add quiz page? What do you think so far? Any comments or suggestions? Please reply in this thread if you have any comments :)

Thanks
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
quahappy
Happy, not Quappy
Happy, not Quappy

Submit Quiz testing:

Enter number of questions page:

Entering a number greater than specified range, in this case 1 - 10 results in:

You have not chosen a number between 1 and 10, go back and try again.

Entering 0 or any other obscure character shows no other message and remains in the"Number of questions:" page.

Comment:

To foolproof this section, make number of questions a drop-down box? Then no Information message will be needed.

Submit Quiz (second page after selecting number of questions):

1. Help text

"You will be prompted to select which answers are correct after you submit this page.". I'd change it to - "You will be prompted to select the correct answer for each question after you submit this page." Nope, I'm not being picky LOL.

2. Entering questions

"Enter your question:" box could do with being bigger (in height)

Multiple Choice questions

1. I deliberately entered only 2 answers for one question and the Select correct Answers page showed the two radio boxes and answers. (See my question below)

2. I also deliberately didn't specify the correct answer for one question, clicked on Submit Quiz and received: Your quiz was successfully entered into the database.

Input Answers

1. No glitches and easy to do!

Comments

No errors except General Error message after clicking Submit Quiz at end but I know we are just looking at creating a quiz at the moment? (See PM's). ;)

First impressions are promising and positive. Submitting a Quiz is easier than ever. One problem with phpBB2 was having to remove the text within the question and answer boxes which was tiresome. Now they are blank input boxes with description to the left which makes a lot more sense.

Now come the questions lol...

1. Will submitting a quiz be foolproof? As I demonstrated above, Quiz was still submitted to database even though I failed to answer a True / False question and listed two answers instead of four for a Multiple Choice question. The same applies if NO boxes are entered and all fields are left blank.

I'm thinking of a check fields code (like submitting a form with compulsory fields) that kicks in when "Submit Quiz" is clicked on. If any fields are empty, or a radio box on True / False question hasn't been selected, or the required four answers inputted, then redisplay submit quiz form with message: "Some fields have not been entered, please check and re-submit".

2. Some Multiple Choice quizzes I've seen have 3 to 5 "alternative answers". This would give quizzes even more variety.

Looking good battye and nice work. :D
If you don't ask...
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks all, I got a few PM's so I will post them here and answer them. If you can, please post all discussion in this thread that way if another person has the same question as you they can see the answer :)

Lugsciath:
General Error
template->_tpl_load(): No file specified for handle body

Please notify the board administrator or webmaster: abc@abc.com

================

I think, i´m too fast for testing *s*, there seems no template

Greetings

Uwe (submitting a first mc quiz with 5 questions)
I haven't yet written the quiz index page, only the quiz submission page. I'm assuming this is the error you got when you clicked the "Return to quiz index" button at the end of the quiz. :)

moongirl:
moongirl wrote:Oops!! I guess I've done something very wrong here!! :shock:
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Column 'quiz_answer' cannot be null [1048]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
Thanks, I didn't realise that before. I will add in some code to give an alert or cancel the question if someone leaves fields blank.

quahappy:
Yep. Errors here when attempting to click on "Return to Quiz Index" page link too after Submitting a Quiz (and message "entered into database") as well but I'm guessing that it's just the "Create a Quiz" section we are all currently looking at and that battye is sorting out the code for actual Quiz Index page? Knowing me... I've got it wrong lol.

That error to me looks like it's because certain fields were empty during quiz creation?
Spot on, on both counts :)
quahappy wrote:Submit Quiz testing:

Enter number of questions page:

Entering a number greater than specified range, in this case 1 - 10 results in:

You have not chosen a number between 1 and 10, go back and try again.

Entering 0 or any other obscure character shows no other message and remains in the"Number of questions:" page.

Comment:

To foolproof this section, make number of questions a drop-down box? Then no Information message will be needed.

Submit Quiz (second page after selecting number of questions):

1. Help text

"You will be prompted to select which answers are correct after you submit this page.". I'd change it to - "You will be prompted to select the correct answer for each question after you submit this page." Nope, I'm not being picky LOL.

2. Entering questions

"Enter your question:" box could do with being bigger (in height)

Multiple Choice questions

1. I deliberately entered only 2 answers for one question and the Select correct Answers page showed the two radio boxes and answers. (See my question below)

2. I also deliberately didn't specify the correct answer for one question, clicked on Submit Quiz and received: Your quiz was successfully entered into the database.

Input Answers

1. No glitches and easy to do!

Comments

No errors except General Error message after clicking Submit Quiz at end but I know we are just looking at creating a quiz at the moment? (See PM's). ;)

First impressions are promising and positive. Submitting a Quiz is easier than ever. One problem with phpBB2 was having to remove the text within the question and answer boxes which was tiresome. Now they are blank input boxes with description to the left which makes a lot more sense.

Now come the questions lol...

1. Will submitting a quiz be foolproof? As I demonstrated above, Quiz was still submitted to database even though I failed to answer a True / False question and listed two answers instead of four for a Multiple Choice question. The same applies if NO boxes are entered and all fields are left blank.

I'm thinking of a check fields code (like submitting a form with compulsory fields) that kicks in when "Submit Quiz" is clicked on. If any fields are empty, or a radio box on True / False question hasn't been selected, or the required four answers inputted, then redisplay submit quiz form with message: "Some fields have not been entered, please check and re-submit".

2. Some Multiple Choice quizzes I've seen have 3 to 5 "alternative answers". This would give quizzes even more variety.

Looking good battye and nice work. :D
Firstly, about entering "0" as the # of questions and your comment of a drop down. Good idea, it does make more sense to use a drop down. I have just implemented this :)

Help text: yeah, your line reads better. I've changed it to your version.

Question box: I've doubled the height, I don't really want to make it much bigger. I think this is quite a good height now.

Multiple choice: as I said above to moongirl's query, I must the check to make sure all fields are filled. I will add that once I've finished this post.

Your questions:
#1: Yes, I need to add a check fields code. Thanks to everyone for picking that one up, I missed it :)
#2: You can enter up to X multiple choices. This is a database setting, you can select to have a maximum of 4 options, 5 options, 300 options... anything you choose :) At the moment I have set it to 4 choices (which means you can enter 1 choice [input answer essentially], 2 choices, 3 choices or 4 choices). If you enter 5 options or more, you will get an error telling you to remove a few choices, or else some of the incorrect answers (not the correct answer obviously) will be automatically removed. So in answer to your question, yes you can have variety by selecting how many choices you give. I put a lot of thought into this when designing the database structure, by having each choice in a new row.

Thanks for the comments everyone! :)

quahappy
Happy, not Quappy
Happy, not Quappy

battye wrote:Firstly, about entering "0" as the # of questions and your comment of a drop down. Good idea, it does make more sense to use a drop down. I have just implemented this :)[

Help text: yeah, your line reads better. I've changed it to your version.

Question box: I've doubled the height, I don't really want to make it much bigger. I think this is quite a good height now.

Multiple choice: as I said above to moongirl's query, I must the check to make sure all fields are filled. I will add that once I've finished this post.
Brilliant! Drop-down box is spot on. :D

Excellent too on ability to have x number of multiple choice answers. Yes, one answer would be assumed as an Input Answer question. Great the way everything seems more stream-lined and easy to use.

I've done another quick test but can see you are still currently working on making Quiz Submission fields compulsory so will leave it for now. ;)
If you don't ask...
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've made it so the question fields are compulsory... the answer fields will be a bit trickier. As I have explained in a PM to the group, this will need to wait a couple of weeks :)

So that development doesn't completely dry up in my absence, I'll make available the quiz.php language file so that if anyone wants to begin translating, it means less work later :)

Code: Select all

<?php
/** 
* Ultimate Quiz MOD [English]
* @package language
* @version $Id: quiz.php, battye (c) 2004, 2005, 2008
* @copyright (c) 2008 battye, CricketMX.com
* @license http://opensource.org/licenses/gpl-license.php GNU Public License 
*/

/**
* DO NOT CHANGE
*/
if (!defined('IN_PHPBB'))
{
	exit;
}

if (empty($lang) || !is_array($lang))
{
	$lang = array();
}

// DEVELOPERS PLEASE NOTE
//
// All language files should use UTF-8 as their encoding and the files must not contain a BOM.
//
// Placeholders can now contain order information, e.g. instead of
// 'Page %s of %s' you can (and should) write 'Page %1$s of %2$s', this allows
// translators to re-order the output of data while ensuring it remains correct
//
// You do not need this where single placeholders are used, e.g. 'Message %d' is fine
// equally where a string contains only two placeholders which are used to wrap text
// in a url you again do not need to specify an order e.g., 'Click %sHERE%s' is fine

$lang = array_merge($lang, array(
	'QUIZ' => 'Quiz',	

// Functions
	'SELECT_A_CATEGORY'				=> 'Select a category',
	'SELECT_A_CATEGORY_EXPLAIN'		=> 'Select a category which best matches the genre of the quiz.',

// Submit quiz
	'SELECT_NUMBER'					=> 'Number of questions',
	'SELECT_NUMBER_EXPLAIN'			=> 'You may enter between <strong>%1$s</strong> and <strong>%2$s</strong> questions in this quiz. How many questions would you like to include?',

'SUBMIT_QUIZ' 					=> 'Submit quiz',
	'SELECT_QUIZ_NAME' 				=> 'Select a name for this quiz',
	'SELECT_QUIZ_NAME_EXPLAIN'		=> 'This is the name that will appear in the list of quizzes. Choose a name that is short but still gives readers an understanding of what the quiz is about.',
	'ENTER_QUESTION'				=> 'Enter your question',
	'IS_TRUE_FALSE'					=> 'True or false question',
	'NOT_TRUE_FALSE'				=> 'Separate multiple choices by adding each option on a new line. For an input only quiz, enter just one line of text.',
	'SUBMIT_INFORMATION'			=> 'Enter questions in each of the %1$s fields provided below. For true and false questions, click the checkbox to demonstrate this - there is no need to type in the box below it. When entering input answer quizzes, simply type the answer into the large box provided. For multiple choices you must provide %2$s alternatives, by putting each on a new line. You will be prompted to select the correct answer for each question after you submit this page.',
	'VERIFY_SUBMIT_INFORMATION' 	=> 'For multiple choice answers, select the answer which is correct by clicking the box to the left of the correct answer. For true and false answers, select either true or false. Input answers do not need to be verified, they will be submitted as is.',
	'TRUE_FALSE_TRUE'				=> 'True',
	'TRUE_FALSE_FALSE'				=> 'False',
	'QUIZ_SUBMISSION_SUCCESSFUL'	=> 'Your quiz was successfully entered into the database.<br /><br />%sReturn to the quiz index page.%s',

'OUTSIDE_QUESTION_PARAM'		=> 'You have not chosen a number between <strong>%1$d</strong> and <strong>%2$d</strong>, go back and try again.',
	'NUMBER_QUESTIONS_UNDEFINED'	=> 'The number of questions in this quiz is undefined, please return to the previous page and rectify this.',
	'TOO_MANY_CHOICES'				=> 'You have <strong>more than %s</strong> choices! Go back and alter this or one of the <strong>incorrect</strong> answers will be randomly removed.<br /><br />',
	'EMPTY_QUESTION'				=> 'You have left one or more question fields empty! Click the back button in your browser to return to the previous page, and ensure no fields are left empty.',
	'EMPTY_ANSWER'				=> 'You have left one or more answer fields empty. Click the back button in your browser to return to the previous page, and ensure no fields are left empty.',

));

?>

quahappy
Happy, not Quappy
Happy, not Quappy

Compulsory fields:

I know this is still WIP and answer fields are not yet checked but I'm not sure if you are aware of this. If I create a quiz with three questions, enter two questions but leave one of them blank then click on Submit, the submit quiz page is reshown but only with the two questions I had entered. The question I left blank is being disregarded.

Statistics section:

In phpBB2 UQM version, you could only view an individual quiz statistics by clicking on a link during a quiz. This is only workable if Play Once is turned off. Clicking on a Quiz within Statistics main page currently assumes you want to play that quiz. I've changed it at my site so individual quiz statistics can be viewed from statistics main page (quiz_stats.php). So for v2.0.0, will an extra column (or image link) be inserted on the Statistics page that allows a member to not only play a quiz, but view the quiz statistics? Also, it would be great if the quiz category could also be displayed possibly in brackets to right of quiz name.

Submitting a Quiz:

Just an idea but in total there are three sections on creating a quiz. How about page heading descriptions like:

Step 1 of 3 - How many questions?
Step 2 of 3 - Enter your Quiz!
Step 3 of 3 - Check all is correct!

.... instead of the current SUBMIT QUIZ on each section?

Possible to eliminate "browser back"?

To do away with forcing a member to click on "browser back" for Information messages, would it make sense when an incomplete quiz form is submitted to reshow the quiz form with the relevant information at the top? In other words, the submit quiz page would like this:

General Information:

You have left one or more question / answer fields empty! Please check your quiz below and re-submit.

Submit quiz

Select a name for this quiz:
This is the name that will appear in the list of quizzes. Choose a name that is short but still gives readers an understanding of what the quiz is about.

Select a category
Select a category which best matches the genre of the quiz.

The code at top of templates/quiz_add_body.tpl (I'm not sure what filenames you have chosen yet) would be:

<!-- BEGIN general_message -->

{information_message}

<!-- END general_message -->
.... rest of quiz add body.

Just an idea. ;)

Another idea:

Some sites with quizzes also give extra information / facts for the correct answer making things more informative. This I feel would be a great addition.
If you don't ask...
Lugsciath
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I have just translate the quiz.php into german language, but a few utf8 chars are missing / to exchange into umlauts. If someone of the developers here want a look on it, just please feel free for changing or correcting the translation and adding the missing utf8 characters ;)

Here´s the code:

<?php
/**
* Ultimate Quiz MOD [Deutsch]
* @package language
* @version $Id: quiz.php, battye (c) 2004, 2005, 2008
* @copyright (c) 2008 battye, CricketMX.com
* @license http://opensource.org/licenses/gpl-license.php GNU Public License
*/

/**
* DO NOT CHANGE
*/
if (!defined('IN_PHPBB'))
{
   exit;
}

if (empty($lang) || !is_array($lang))
{
   $lang = array();
}

// DEVELOPERS PLEASE NOTE
//
// All language files should use UTF-8 as their encoding and the files must not contain a BOM.
//
// Placeholders can now contain order information, e.g. instead of
// 'Page %s of %s' you can (and should) write 'Page %1$s of %2$s', this allows
// translators to re-order the output of data while ensuring it remains correct
//
// You do not need this where single placeholders are used, e.g. 'Message %d' is fine
// equally where a string contains only two placeholders which are used to wrap text
// in a url you again do not need to specify an order e.g., 'Click %sHERE%s' is fine

$lang = array_merge($lang, array(
   'QUIZ' => 'Quiz',   

// Functions
   'SELECT_A_CATEGORY'            => 'Wähl eine Kategorie',
   'SELECT_A_CATEGORY_EXPLAIN'      => 'Wähl eine Kategorie die am besten zu der Art des Spieles paßt.',

// Submit quiz
   'SELECT_NUMBER'               => 'Anzahl der Fragen',
   'SELECT_NUMBER_EXPLAIN'         => 'Du darfst zwischen <strong>%1$s</strong> und <strong>%2$s</strong> Fragen im Quiz wählen. Wie viele Fragen soll es beiinhalten?',

'SUBMIT_QUIZ'                => 'Quiz erstellen',
   'SELECT_QUIZ_NAME'             => 'Wähle einen Namen für das Quiz',
   'SELECT_QUIZ_NAME_EXPLAIN'      => 'Dies ist der Name der in der Auswahlliste erscheint. Wähle einen kurzen Namen, der den Lesern eindeutig das Thema des Quizzes aufzeigt.',
   'ENTER_QUESTION'            => 'Deine Frage',
   'IS_TRUE_FALSE'               => 'Wahr oder Falsch Frage',
   'NOT_TRUE_FALSE'            => 'Verschiedene Mehrfachauswahlfragen durch Hinzufügen einer Auswahl per neuer Linie. Für ein Eingabequizenter gib bitte nur eine Textlinie ein.',
   'SUBMIT_INFORMATION'         => 'Stelle Fragen in jedem der %1$s Felder die unten gefordert werden. Für Wahr und Falsch Fragen klicke bitte die checkbox um dies anzuzeigen - Du musst nichts in die Box unten eingeben. Wenn du ein Antwortquiz erstellst, dann gib die Antwort im großen Kasten vor. Für Mehrfachauswahlen musst du %2$s Alternativen bereitsstellen, jede auf einer neuen Linie. Du wirst nach den richtigen Antworten gefragt, nachdem du diese Seite erstellt hast.',
   'VERIFY_SUBMIT_INFORMATION'    => 'Für Mehrfachauswahlen wähle die Antworten die Stimmen durch das Anklicken des Kästchens an der linken Seite der richtigen Antwort. Bei Wahr oder Falsch Fragen wähle die richtige Antwort. Eingabefragen werden nicht ueberprüft, sie werden so akzeptiert wie sie eingegeben wurden.',
   'TRUE_FALSE_TRUE'            => 'Wahr',
   'TRUE_FALSE_FALSE'            => 'Falsch',
   'QUIZ_SUBMISSION_SUCCESSFUL'   => 'Dein Quiz wurde erfolgreich zur Datenbank zugefügt.<br /><br />%sZurueck zur Indexseite des Quiz.%s',

'OUTSIDE_QUESTION_PARAM'      => 'Du hast eine Anzahl zwischen <strong>%1$d</strong> und <strong>%2$d</strong> gewaehlt, geh zurück und versuch es nochmal.',
   'NUMBER_QUESTIONS_UNDEFINED'   => 'Die Anzahl der Fragen in diesem Quiz ist unbestimmt,bitte geh zurueck zur verherigen Seiten und korrigiere dies.',
   'TOO_MANY_CHOICES'            => 'Du hast <strong>mehr als %s</strong> Auswahlen!Geh zurück und korrigiere diese oder eine der <strong>falschen</strong> Fragen wird zufällig entfernt.<br /><br />',
   'EMPTY_QUESTION'            => 'Du hast eine oder mehr Fragefelder leer gelassen! Klick den Zurückknopf in deinem Browser um zur vorherigen Seite zurueckzukehren und sicher zu stellen, das keines der Felder leer bleibt.',
   'EMPTY_ANSWER'            => 'Du hast eines oder mehr Felder leer gelassen. Klick den Zurückknopf in deinem Browser, um zur vorherigen Seite zurückzukehren und sicherzustellen, das keines der Felder leer bleibt.',

));

?>
I´ve just insert the utf-8 Umlauts, hoping that all fits :)
Lugsciath
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Btw: Is there any other file to translate? May be in Progress? :D
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Firstly, thanks for the translation Lugsciath :) I have a couple more entries, but I won't post them just yet as the submissions system is still a work in progress.

A quick update, I've been working for many hours on this today. You are welcome to test it out at http://forums.cricketmx.com/quiz.php?mode=submit (although it isn't working too well at the moment... I know there are a lot of problems, mainly between step 2 & 3 and especially with true/false questions)

Still the submission screen, it has been a nightmare. I've been trying to make it absolutely foolproof, but each step creates about 10 new problems... which I will attend to tomorrow morning. I will definitely rewrite this whole submission system for v2.2, but I've done too much work on it to go back now as far as v2.0.0 is concerned. As I said, hopefully I can have this submission system completely done by tomorrow, then I can start working on the fun stuff, like "playing" the quiz :)

EDIT: I'm almost asleep at the keyboard, but I couldn't go to bed knowing that the page was in a mess. So I've tweaked it a bit, and hopefully the majority of the bugs are fixed. By all means, please test the page as much as you can and let me know what you find. "Step 3" from a design point of view is still incomplete, but functionality should be okay.

Here's the chat between quahappy and I from earlier:
[22:21] <battye> Hi! :)
[22:21] <Quahappy> hey up :D
[22:22] <battye> How are you?
[22:22] <Quahappy> how do i enlarge the font? very small lol
[22:22] <battye> click the font button >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
[22:23] <battye> replace 12 with a higher number, and then click Serif from the list on fonts
[22:24] <Quahappy> can see font option but nothing else appearing. Great start eh? pmsl
[22:24] <battye> lol
[22:24] <Quahappy> ah got the color working
[22:24] <battye> Do you see the list of names?
[22:24] <battye> battye, Quahappy
[22:25] <battye> follow that box down to the bottom
[22:25] <battye> and there is a box of colours
[22:25] <battye> directly to the right of the box, there is a Font button
[22:26] <battye> working now?
[22:26] <Quahappy> i see the font option to right of colours. it doesnt appear to be doing anything else lol. never mind.
[22:27] <battye> ok
[22:27] <Quahappy> sussed
[22:27] <battye> for the past few hours I've been trying to fix the submission page for quizzes
[22:27] <battye> Functionality wise, I think I'm almost there
[22:28] <Quahappy> right
[22:28] <battye> I've tried to make it as fool proof as I can
[22:28] <Quahappy> my wife calls me fort knox for fool-proofing lol
[22:28] <battye> lol
[22:28] <battye> there is one thing missing which I am aware of, and that is the very last step
[22:29] <Quahappy> is this all still at CMX?
[22:29] <battye> I haven't added a check to make sure the radio/check boxes have been clicked
[22:29] <battye> yes at CMS
[22:29] <battye> CMX rather
[22:29] <Quahappy> okies
[22:29] <battye> http://forums.cricketmx.com/quiz.php?mode=submit
[22:29] <battye> feel free to give it a shot... don't worry about making real questions or anything, put rubbish in the boxes
[22:29] <battye> my favourites are test1, t2 and hfsoiuhdsfui
[22:29] <battye> lol
[22:30] <battye> or gsdhgfdshfgsdf
[22:30] <Quahappy> no problem. the third one looks promising although could be outta my league
[22:30] <battye> what do you mean?
[22:30] <Quahappy> think i called all mine testing (original huh?)
[22:31] <Quahappy> hfaoiuhdafui
[22:31] <Quahappy> that one in thats been set up
[22:31] <Quahappy> lol
[22:32] <battye> I just put my hand on the keyboard, it is by far the quickest
[22:32] <battye> lol vklgiu
[22:32] <Quahappy> heh heh
[22:33] <Quahappy> give me 5 mins - just testing UQM form ;)
[22:33] <battye> ok
[22:34] <battye> btw, good idea about keeping the window open from the PM. When we are finished we should post a copy of this chat in the forum -> it's beta testing at its best
[22:34] <battye> and no doubt some useful ideas will come up
[22:35] <Quahappy> post copy - great idea :)
[22:36] <battye> when you get up to the screen that is the "final verification" screen, that is not completely finished yet
[22:36] <Quahappy> im deliberatly leaving fields blank and then filling each field one by one and clicking on Submit in turn. So far so good. wd.
[22:36] <battye> At the moment it only has "Correct answer" but I just wanted to get the functionality working, I can quite easily, hopefully, add in; whether it was true/false, mc or input answer, the multiple choices, etc
[22:42] <Quahappy> Report comining up:
[22:42] <Quahappy> flipping typos - apologies
[22:48] <battye> if you want if it is long, type it in notepad and then paste it into here
[22:48] <battye> and it will automatically enter it on new lines when appropriate
[22:48] <Quahappy> OK, short report instead. I've checked everything out several times and the only problem that resides is checking of radio boxes
[22:48] <Quahappy> LOL battye - it was going to be long
[22:49] <battye> yep, that is the one I know about. I take it you submitted without selecting one, but it went through anyway
[22:49] <Quahappy> true / false type text reads: Correct answer:
[22:50] <Quahappy> that's correct
[22:50] <Quahappy> i also didn't select a Category
[22:50] <battye> ok
[22:50] <Quahappy> i tske it that by not selecting a Category - it would had been submitted to a "default" as set via UQM admin CP?
[22:50] <battye> I will make it force you to select a category
[22:51] <battye> in fact I just uploaded a new quiz.php which should do that
[22:51] <battye> haven't tested it yet though, so i've got low expecations
[22:51] <Quahappy> want me to refresh and try?
[22:51] <battye> which I shouldn't have, because it worked!
[22:52] <Quahappy> Great! WD :)
[22:54] <battye> okay, ive just added a lang entry so it should say "you havent filled in a radio box blah blah blah"
[22:54] <Quahappy> I personally feel that submitting a quiz is now even easier. From what I can see - just the code to check appropriate radio boxes has been selected
[22:54] <Quahappy> checking >>>>
[22:55] <battye> I'm not getting the lang entry
[22:56] <battye> I want it to appear in place of "For multiple choice answers, select the answer which is correct by clicking the box to the left of the correct answer. For true and false answers, select either true or false. Input answers do not need to be verified, they will be submitted as is."
[22:56] <battye> Hang on, no I don't
[22:57] <battye> Damn, it's not working after all
[22:57] <battye> Now it's just plain not going past that 3rd stage
[22:58] <Quahappy> I'm entering all fields but leacing radio boxes blank. On submit I get: You haven't selected one or more radio boxes, meaning you still need to select a multiple choice and/or true/false answer.
[22:58] <battye> really?
[22:58] <Quahappy> .... and returning me to enter all fields page instead of radio boxes section (hope that makes sense)
[22:58] <battye> I'm not :?
[22:59] <battye> yeah, something is not quite working
[22:59] <battye> but I'm glad you at least got that message
[23:00] <Quahappy> The requested URL /quiz.php was not found on this server.
[23:00] <Quahappy> oops
[23:00] <battye> ahh
[23:00] <Quahappy> Trying something?
[23:01] <battye> yeah, I was re-uploading the file
[23:01] <battye> hmm this is a tough one
[23:01] <battye> not sure why it isn't working
[23:02] <battye> so you got that radio box error
[23:02] <battye> but it returned you to having to start all over again?
[23:02] <Quahappy> yes, that's right
[23:02] <Quahappy> i didn't have to retype the questions again though (not any answers)
[23:03] <battye> that is okay though?
[23:04] <battye> that is what you expected?
[23:04] <battye> or did you expect a different screen
[23:05] <battye> Okay I see what you mean now
[23:05] <battye> Can you try it again? Just to confirm, because i have it on my screen now
[23:05] <battye> I think i see the problem, it has gone one step too far back
[23:06] <Quahappy> Does http://forums.cricketmx.com/viewtopic.p ... 949#p93949 this help at all? basically step 1 is easy anyway. step 2 - enter all fields and if any missing return to step 2 else step 3, tick radio boxes then again if anything not ticked, return to step 3
[23:06] <Quahappy> yes - one step too far back :)
[23:07] <Quahappy> Ok to retest?
[23:07] <battye> yes
[23:07] <Quahappy> Give me 5 mins - need to check what kids are up too
[23:07] <battye> which part of the post in particular?
[23:07] <battye> ok
[23:11] <Quahappy> xorry about that...
[23:11] <Quahappy> Submitting a Quiz: part of post
[23:11] <battye> no worries
[23:12] <battye> oh, my mistake. I was looking at compulsory fields
[23:12] <battye> I think that can be done
[23:12] <Quahappy> But I think we've answered our own questions lol with the "one step too far back"
[23:12] <battye> The code is hardish to decipher so it might take a couple of minutes to be added in though
[23:12] <Quahappy> Did you say that it should now check Category?
[23:12] <battye> did I fix it?
[23:13] <Quahappy> Still trying to test - page isn't loading for me at the moment :(
[23:13] <battye> refresh the page, i just uploaded a new copy
[23:14] <Quahappy> okies - attempting...
[23:15] <battye> apologies, there was an error
[23:15] <battye> uploaded a new copy
[23:15] <battye> okay, I think it is working. I'll let you test & confirm
[23:18] <Quahappy> I've entered the form, clicked on Submit, and then got same form displayed.
[23:18] <Quahappy> Won't let me go any further
[23:19] <battye> which form?
[23:19] <battye> step 3?
[23:19] <battye> step 2?
[23:20] <Quahappy> Unless your fool-proof has kicked in. I deliberately entered for a multiple choice question four answers but with a space in between two of the answers instead of having one on each like
[23:20] <Quahappy> *line not like
[23:20] <battye> oh no don't do that lol
[23:20] <Quahappy> yep - it was that lol
[23:20] <battye> I didn't even think about that
[23:20] <Quahappy> removed the line and now on part 3
[23:20] <battye> Maybe I'll make allowances for missing lines later
[23:21] <battye> I think step 3 is broken
[23:21] <battye> it wont let me proceed
[23:21] <Quahappy> Still showed all four multiple choices though even with the line lol
[23:21] <Quahappy> yes - it's broken
[23:21] <battye> Hmm, I don't think this is working well. it's gone and outright removed a question for me
[23:22] <Quahappy> same here - question text is there but answers text has gone :(
[23:23] <Quahappy> also got this text: You haven't selected one or more radio boxes, meaning you still need to select a multiple choice and/or true/false answer.
[23:23] <Quahappy> even though no radio boxes are showing
[23:23] <battye> what is going on
[23:24] <battye> I don't know how it has gone so far wrong
[23:24] <battye> its good at step 2
[23:24] <battye> then it goes downhill
[23:25] <Quahappy> I don't think it's that far wrong tbh.It's step 3 that appears to be putting brakes on. We'll get there! Just wished I knew more php so I could assist
[23:25] <Quahappy> Your doing a grand job. Keep it up
[23:25] <battye> thanks
[23:25] <battye> I will add in those step 1,2,3 lines
[23:26] <battye> It will make it easier at a glance to see where it is going wrong
[23:26] <Quahappy> Okies
[23:27] <Quahappy> Then we can easily refer to "Step 1, step 2 or step 3" for de-bugging yes?
[23:27] <battye> I'm going to change it a bit though
[23:27] <battye> instead of making step 1 - select number
[23:27] <battye> I will use
[23:27] <battye> Step 1 - Enter your quiz
[23:27] <battye> Step 2 - Select the correct answers
[23:27] <battye> Step 3 - Check all is correct!
[23:27] <Quahappy> Sound :)
[23:28] <battye> where did you want this?
[23:29] <battye> in the big text?
[23:29] <battye> or the little blue text?
[23:29] <Quahappy> big text
[23:30] <Quahappy> members cant miss it then
[23:30] <Quahappy> lol
[23:31] <battye> yeah
[23:31] <Quahappy> brq - my members are loving UQM on phpbb2. I've altered quite a few bits (cosmetic mainly - layouts and that). Feel free to take a look. I'll PM you our staff testing log-in details for you ;)
[23:32] <battye> ok that sounds good
[23:32] <Quahappy> brq?! btw that should had been
[23:32] <battye> I was trying to figure out brq
[23:32] <Quahappy> I really detest this keyboard - keys are too close together. Will bring down other one from upstairs later.
[23:33] <battye> ok try now
[23:33] <battye> this is only for the step 1,2,3 text
[23:33] <battye> not the radio boxes
[23:34] <Quahappy> ok
[23:35] <Quahappy> That's much clearer. Nice one
[23:36] <battye> ok
[23:37] <battye> okay back to the check box thing
[23:37] <battye> hmm
[23:38] <battye> the final stage, stage 3 is called up by a hidden form called "final_verification"
[23:38] <battye> what needs to happen is before it goes through the process of giving the verification screen, it needs to check every question to make sure an answer has been selected
[23:39] <battye> as all input answers are okay, that means checking that tf_x (for true false) OR mc_x (for multi) has been selected
[23:41] <Quahappy> So is it probably easier to do two validations? one for Step 2 (checking question and answer boxes are filled according to quiz type) and then Step 3, once clicked on Submuit to then...
[23:42] <Quahappy> ... check all necessary radio boxes before Quiz in entered into database?
[23:42] <battye> I'm thinking it might be better if I do that
[23:42] <battye> but I will need to add another hidden field (this is getting messy, I will overhaul this one day) if we are in step 2
[23:42] <battye> so that come step 3, I know to do the check.... if that makes sense
[23:43] <Quahappy> it does make sense

quahappy
Happy, not Quappy
Happy, not Quappy

Tested thoroughly and the only problem that still stands, as we've already found out, is the issue with True / False radio boxes. I set up a Quiz with three questions. Two were True / False, the other - multiple choice. Clicking on Submit takes me to Step 2 of 3 and while the Questions for the two True / False shows, the radio boxes don't. These did show for the multiple choice question. It basically gets stuck and I was enable to move on to step 3. On the other hand, if I DO correctly tick the True / False boxes I do get to Step 3 and then it will submit it to database.

Hope that helps battye. :D
If you don't ask...
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks quahappy :) When you get the chance we will chat again so we can sort this problem out. Although when I tried it (I created a quiz with 2 true/false, 1 input answer), and submitting without ticking any boxes successfully gives me the message "You haven't selected one or more radio boxes, meaning you still need to select a multiple choice and/or true/false answer, or you have not yet filled in the quiz name and category." as well as the opportunity to re-tick the boxes.

Jan
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

I am very happy to see that you guys continue working on the Quiz MOD.
I tested it and it looks pretty good so far. I suppose it is a beta version so many things are not implemented yet (e.g. attachments to questions, like pictures, audio etc.), but one of the things I thought I would comment on is that it doesn't support Unicode. For various language oriented forums the phpBB3 is great as it supports Unicode on all levels, so it would be great if the Quiz MOD does the same.
Thanks for working on this.

Jan