Sharing MS Acess DB on multiple computers

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

Layzie Bone
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy

How would I be able to not just share but to be able to work with the file simutaneously on 2 computers. It is a MS Access 2000 file, and the computers are running Windows Vista, any pointers?

I have a DB file shared over thier network, and have mapped a network drive on that computer, when the DB is open on both computers i cannot save the changes on either computer, how can this be done?
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

I found this page, which might help (if you are registered there): http://www.experts-exchange.com/Microso ... 28107.html
Here's another page: http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/asp ... uters.aspx (this one might be more helpful?)

I've only ever used Access as a single user, my concern is that if you have two people editing the same file there will be a lot of problems including data duplication. One of the users responses in the second link suggests splitting the database, could be worth a thought.
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Layzie Bone

That's what I was reading up on, and i wasn't sure about that, but it might be the solution.
nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

Registration is not needed. :) To increase their rank on Google, they show Google the answer. If you come from Google, they show you the answer too.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Using+pr ... r+accounts

Hit the page from there and scroll all the way to the bottom, past the ads and everything. It's formatted to look like footer style fine print, but it's the answer.
Layzie Bone

Those pages were very useful, only thing I had some trouble getting it to link the tables back to the BE....
Layzie Bone

Ok here is how you do it.

Basically understand that a database is more than a pile of "stuff" there are two main parts to a datebase, you have the software portion or the "Back end" or known as BE, and the data portion, the "Front End," FE. You use the "Linked Table Manager" to split the database. What you will need to do is put the backend on all the clients and the front end on the "server" computer, and the theory is that you can have one database open on multiple machines.

A lot of people complain that splitting the database slows everything down significantly, even more so on wireless networks, so this might be an issue for some.
nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

Thanks for posting your solution.