phpBB v3.0.x "Olympus" released and CricketMX.com

All updates to the site will be posted here.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

After 5 or so years in development, phpBB "Olympus" has finally been officially released. I was fortunate enough to be in the phpBB chatroom at the time, and counting down the last 20 seconds was something I won't forget.

The new version is very nice. I was skeptical at first, as I think v2.0.x (what this forum is currently running as of Dec 14, 07) is a fine piece of software.

But I have been spending the last few days, almost non-stop, building the new website for CricketMX. I've been looking a lot through the code and really familiarising myself with "Olympus". There are some quirks that might take some time to get used to, such as when viewing a post, the post is on the left and the poster information (location, avatar, etc) is on the right. In fact, when I first saw this, I was one of those most against it - but now I don't mind it.

As has been mentioned here and here - yes, CMX will be upgrading to Olympus soon. Between those two topics, a lot of the changes that we will undergo have been covered. I want to stress that any attachments made to posts and uploaded to the forum that were added in the past will be available again when we upgrade.

The orange theme, which I think we are recognised by, will change slightly. I am still tweaking it, and I think by the time I have finished, it could end up even being better than our current one. :)

What excites me most about the new site though, is actually the website itself. http://www.cricketmx.com hasn't been updated in many years - it has been a long time since we have actually had genuine content outside of the forum context. The new site will change that, it is extremely flexible and will be based around good content - easy for the reader, and easy for those submitting content. All the while, the website will be completely integrated into the forum (so you won't get logged out viewing the website, etc) - even to the extent that a robot will be updating the forum when a certain event is triggered on the website. I won't go in to detail, but it is very cool. :)

I expect a lot of people will be wondering when these changes are going to occur. At this stage, I will leave it as "To be announced". It won't happen overnight, there will be a good degree of notice beforehand - hopefully we can have a bit of build up to it as well.

Exciting times ahead :)
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
garmabeaneth
Dancing Queen
Dancing Queen

will we get our CMX$'s back?
Sometimes when you cry... no one sees your tears.
Sometimes when you are worried... no one sees your pain.
Sometimes when you are happy... no one sees your smile.
But fart just one damn time ...
(¯`·._.·[GUEST 601]·._.·´¯)

smile you're on candid camera Image
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

$CMX will return :)
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
moongirl

Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!! :D
That's not the man in the moon...that's me ;)
kikkotm
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!
p2p-sharing-rules

8) the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better. :)