Gmail = 2gigs

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

I read a news blurb about gmail going to 2 gigs, so I immediately logged into my gmail account and lo and behold I have 2 gigs of space :D
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

Great. I'm happy for you. :)
Really!

But I still don't want gmail.
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

It makes a great spam catcher :D
nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

Sweet. Now if they'd just let me send an exe file. I'm getting tired of renaming these files.

Had some trouble at the library trying to print smoe tax forms off. Hadn't bought a printer yet, and needed to print.

The computers running XP were the only ones that could read my thumbdrive. Sadly, they didn't have adobe acrobat intalled.

I manage to find a nice, free, no-install pdf reader and run it. Printer doesn't respond. :(

Not a big deal. I move to the machine next to me, running NT or something else old after uploading a self extracting archive of all the files I need to my gmail, after changing the file extension to something gmail wouldn't whine about.

Get the file onto the desktop of the vacuum tubed computer and go to rename it. Nope. Right click = nothing. Select it and press the menu key, nothing.

Left the library and bought a printer. :P
KM
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

its 2066MB atm - and I read somewhere about going up 10MB a day (forever?)

but who can realisticly use it? if people could use it they wouldn't offer it :-D

WinMX World.com - The new help website dedicated completely to WinMX. If you cant find help there, you cant find it anywhere!
nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

I seem to remember reading a while back about an ftp tool that used a gmail account for storage. I still think that gmail will be a nice tool for file sharing.

I'm expecting to see gmail accounts named things like TMD.Shrek.2@gmail.com even without the ftp tool.
KM
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

you're probably thinking of the gmail drive :-) (which personally i found to be a waste of time - especially with a notifyer notifying me every time a new email arrives!)

WinMX World.com - The new help website dedicated completely to WinMX. If you cant find help there, you cant find it anywhere!
nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

Wow, that's pretty sweet. That's worth setting up another account or 5. I almost feel bad to think that gmail has set itself up to have it's bandwidth abused like this. Upload a file to your drive, pass out the connection info, and BOOM! Your share ratio goes from 1:1 to infinity.
nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

I tried to use the gmail drive to move a 1.3GB file from work to home. The setup was pretty easy and the transfer speeds were a alright for a free service. I got about 300MB in an hour. Took my shower while the file downloaded, and when I came back, it had been disconnected.
This is the message I got when I tried to log into my account.
Lockdown in sector 4!
Our system indicates unusual usage of your account. In order to protect Gmail users from potentially harmful use of Gmail, this account has been disabled for up to 24 hours.

If you are using any third party software that interacts with your Gmail account, please disable it or adjust it so that its use complies with the Gmail Terms of Use. If you feel that you have been using your Gmail account according to the Terms of Use or otherwise normally, please contact us at gmail-lockdown@google.com to report this problem.
I guess I should have seen this coming. Even though I won't be watching Batman Begins tonight, I still laughed at the message.

Even though gmail won't be the warez haven that I'd hoped, I think I'll still keep the gmail drive installer handy. It's pretty easy for small file transfers.
nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

I've been watching my gmail as it slowly counted toward an upward limit of 3GB, and today I see it has moved to about 3.7GB :shock:

Here I've been waiting for it to turn over the 3GB mark, and it just skipped it.
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

I didn't even notice, DAMN!!!
garmabeaneth
Dancing Queen
Dancing Queen

i never use my gmail account for signing up to any sites.. and it still boggles me how i get 500+ spam emails!
Sometimes when you cry... no one sees your tears.
Sometimes when you are worried... no one sees your pain.
Sometimes when you are happy... no one sees your smile.
But fart just one damn time ...
(¯`·._.·[GUEST 601]·._.·´¯)

smile you're on candid camera Image
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

garmabeaneth wrote:i never use my gmail account for signing up to any sites.. and it still boggles me how i get 500+ spam emails!
Me too, I log into it every few months, and without fail there is a tonne of spam. :?
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
BeeZer
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

nesman wrote:I've been watching my gmail as it slowly counted toward an upward limit of 3GB, and today I see it has moved to about 3.7GB :shock:

Here I've been waiting for it to turn over the 3GB mark, and it just skipped it.
Kind of like when you're waiting for your car's odometer to turn over to 100,000 or some significant number and then you miss it even though you're in the car driving at the time. :lol:
From the Planet Kriket
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

BeeZer wrote:Kind of like when you're waiting for your car's odometer to turn over to 100,000 or some significant number and then you miss it even though you're in the car driving at the time. :lol:
Yeah, that's always pretty annoying :evil:

I remember when CMX was approaching 10,000 posts (I think it was 10k) - I was posting like crazy to try and reach it, and when on 9,999, somebody else came in, posted once and then logged off :lol:
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)