last.fm internet radio (I found a good thing)

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

I've been listening to last.fm internet radio lately, and I really like it. It is loaded with features like banning songs that you hate so they don't play for you anymore, marking songs that you love so they play more often, and even making a playlist for yourself. For instance, you can see play my playlist from my profile page: last.fm/user/Nesman64

I found it because Amarok (nice audio player for Linux) has an option to connect to last.fm. It also has an option to report music you listen to from your personal collection, which helps the system to find other music that you'd like.

On top of that, it will show you your "neighbors" each week. Your neighbors are people with similar musical taste as you, which means you might want to check out their playlists or recent music.

All of this is free, and for a small fee you can have advanced features. Subscribers can create their own radio stations and have access to discovery mode which keeps track of music that you've listened to for a year and only plays you songs that you haven't heard before.

So far, these are the only downsides I've seen:
  • The servers are under heavy load and sometimes time out. They've recently been bought by CBS which might mean a bigger server budget.
  • They've been bought by CBS, which might mean your listening habits are being collected for evil uses.
  • There are still several bands that aren't included in the library. Judging by other music on there, I think it's all user-uploaded so that will likely change. On the upload screen they specify that the artist should upload his own music, but I doubt that's the case.
  • It can be hard to find how to add a song to your playlist. If you search for the song you can play a sample, but not playlist. The secret is to search for the band and playlist it from the band page or listen to it and then playlist it from your recent tracks.
After a few weeks of using it, last.fm has gotten pretty good at playing songs that I like.
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

I was just playing with this. At the moment I am not all that impressed. I've used Launch from Yahoo! and Pandora. I like both of those and they also have rating systems that help shape what the players give you to listen.

I'll have to spend some more time with last.fm before I give up on the others.
garmabeaneth
Dancing Queen
Dancing Queen

I really enjoyed Pandora, but alas I am not American and they no longer support streaming outside of the US. I've been reduced to Launch cast on Yapoo erm Yahoo.
Sometimes when you cry... no one sees your tears.
Sometimes when you are worried... no one sees your pain.
Sometimes when you are happy... no one sees your smile.
But fart just one damn time ...
(¯`·._.·[GUEST 601]·._.·´¯)

smile you're on candid camera Image
garmabeaneth
Dancing Queen
Dancing Queen

a friend just sent me this link and so far i've been happy with it. there are commercials tho just like regular radio. best part for me tho is that because i live in canada a lot of sites like pandora won't let me stream. :(

http://www.filtermusic.net/index.php

battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

It looks pretty good garmy, quite comprehensive.
Do you need Winamp to play the radio though?
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
garmabeaneth
Dancing Queen
Dancing Queen

i'm not sure battye.. i gave me the options as to what i wanted to open it with.. so perhaps not

battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah alright.

I don't have Winamp installed, and when I downloaded the pls file it was happy to open in Notepad, so not sure what's going on there :lol:
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
garmabeaneth
Dancing Queen
Dancing Queen

lol @ that