USB charging on the go

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

http://ohgizmo.com/2007/06/19/panasonic ... on-the-go/

What a great device, it's something I can see myself using.

However, this is something I've had in mind for a while.

I have a spare USB hub (which I bought for $2, it hardly works, but I think it should do the trick! :D). If I take this apart, would it be possible to then connect a battery to part of the hub, which could then power an iPod?

This person seems to have tried something similar: http://www.hackaday.com/2005/01/28/how- ... attery-v2/

That guy has used a 9V battery with a 330ohm resister.

What I am concerned about though, is how much voltage I need to power an iPod. I don't want to fry it :) Does anyone have an idea? How much power would normally carry through to a USB device if it was plugged into the computer?

Thanks
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

I've had similar thoughts, but I'd be scared to ruin something. :) I have a usb "lava lamp" that is basically a usb cable with 2 internal wires soldered to a small light bulb socket. (No drivers or anything, it just draws power. As far as I can tell, the pc doesn't even know it's plugged in.) I think it'd be cool to find other things that can be powered in this method.

Better yet would be a way to enable/disable power to a usb port remotely (in Linux, of course). This way I could turn it on to alert me to new mail, use it as an automatic night light, or figure out how to combine it with a webcam and make it a motion sensing light. :D
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'll give this a go sometime soon. I probably won't test it on the iPod though, not until I'm sure it will work anyway.
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)