1st iPod virus

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

p2p-sharing-rules

Podloso: world's lamest virus?

Kaspersky Lab claims to have discovered the first iPod virus, which it has has named Podloso.

Described as a "typical proof of concept virus", Podloso targets - if that's not too strong a word - iPods running Linux. How many iPods run anything other than Apple's standard software? One in a thousand? One in ten thousand?

Podloso must be deliberately installed and run by the user (so it's probably a Trojan rather than a virus, but what's in a name?), and then it alters all the executable .elf files it can find so when they are run they display a message on the screen which says "You are infected with Oslo the first iPodLinux Virus".

"Podloso has no malicious payload, and does not present a real threat; it simply demonstrates that it is, theoretically possible to create malicious programs for such devices," said Kaspersky officials.

So someone has written a program that can modify files - should we be impressed? The downside is that claims like Kaspersky's are likely to renew calls for iPods to be banned from workplaces because of some vague security risk.
iTWire
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't know why I didn't reply to this :?
Better late than never though :lol:

I think what sums up this article is this line:
How many iPods run anything other than Apple's standard software? One in a thousand? One in ten thousand?
So few people use anything other than the firmware already on iPod's. There is nothing I have seen so far to suggest the Apple OS on iPod's is at all insecure.
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)