Big Thread of Spam Bots

Any problems, suggestions, or comments about our site are to be posted here.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

pokesthelippyfish
Fsh
Fsh

nncron
If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution.
garmabeaneth
Dancing Queen
Dancing Queen

Mosteran

Kairnoz
Sometimes when you cry... no one sees your tears.
Sometimes when you are worried... no one sees your pain.
Sometimes when you are happy... no one sees your smile.
But fart just one damn time ...
(¯`·._.·[GUEST 601]·._.·´¯)

smile you're on candid camera Image
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've deleted the bots, and hopefully I found all of their posts. If I've missed any, please post the link :)

Thanks
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
threewing
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

:evil: Foster Kastrol :evil:

offering crap that will send your computer to hell

How about a reportbutton with every post? And ten bucks for the reportah! :D
/|\

/|\ has a strict policy concerning disclosure of identity, showing of
light sabers, affiliationado's, multiple account users, drinking buddies who
join the same community they see me visit for years, and board hoggers
(whatever that means).
The policy is: If it doesn't bother me, I don't give a flying f4ck.
garmabeaneth
Dancing Queen
Dancing Queen

Dickan

Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

There has to be something you can implement to cut down on these guys.

I just deleted about 15 posts from dickan and two other idiots.
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Have you looked into this battye
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=396855
moongirl

I've just read the article. Seems to be a huge problem for everyone.
Fri Sep 29, 2006
its pointless to IP ban, if you were a game server IP range banning players that is easy since they have limited IP ranges, but these fks have unlimited ISP/server IPs to abuse the *beep* out of

my mail server filters 300+ a day spoofed IP spammed emails that my SPF filters kill off, so im a happy puppy on that end

but to spam my gaming forums

thats just wrong, I want to kill, but thanks to the php ACP spam bot killer 10 bots a day die in hell!!!!
Wed Oct 04, 2006
They will only stop when most or all forums make it impossible for them. In the mean time, your only satisfaction is knowing that you have made them waste a little of their time.
Wed Oct 11, 2006
One thing I have noticed in recent weeks is they are now adding their URL's into the location, occupation, and interestes lines.

I am getting some that sign up for a user name with a variety of email addresses and the only thing in their profile will list "USA" as the location. Their user names are usually generic real names like N_Martinez or RSmith.
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 28#2464728

What is a bot?
Is a bot a piece of code? Or, is a bot a human paid to annoy? Or, both?

Could the registration process include something relative only to this (or any other) forum that requires
the intended registerer to submit an answer to a question which could be as simple as the server up-time
located at the bottom of the page?
This is something which would be constantly changing.

We certainly don't want to deter valid registrations...but, the bots are winning atm!! :evil:
That's not the man in the moon...that's me ;)
nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

I think that the spam is generated automatically, in most cases. Spam bots are evil, although I still think it'd be interesting to take a look at the souce code. I wonder if it processes pages to see what input forms are named, and fills them in, like we do, or if it just posts to register.php (or whatever the name is). I would expect that posting.php would receive the same treatment.

I think it might be time to install a mod to prevent this. There are a handful that look helpful here but it might be more fun for Battye to write his own. :)
pokesthelippyfish
Fsh
Fsh

threewing wrote::evil: Foster Kastrol :evil:
still living in OT, battye
If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution.
garmabeaneth
Dancing Queen
Dancing Queen

Teenenceup72

battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've looked at (as far as I am aware) every anti-spam bot MOD as it has been made, but I am somewhat reluctant to install any until they have been proven and are in the phpBB MOD Database.

In the past, I was always under the impression they were all bots, and apparantly they are very easy to make. But recently, I believe human spammers are becoming increasingly popular, and it is impossible to deter humans.

I'm sorry that everyone has to put up with them, but I thank you all for persevering and reporting the spammers in this thread, and especially thanks to Grinch and P2P who regularly delete the scum these spammers post.

Nes, one of the first few results on that page you linked to (Easy BotStopper) was written by me :)
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

battye wrote:Nes, one of the first few results on that page you linked to (Easy BotStopper) was written by me :)
That's awesome. :) I hadn't looked too closely at them. Just the titles and descriptions.

There's another one here:
http://forums.cricketmx.com/viewtopic.php?p=70024

Guest name: Teenenceup72

You could probably also delete my followup post, as well, since it won't make sense anymore. :)
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Deleted :)

That reminds me, if a spam user creates a topic, don't reply to it, as then I can simply delete the topic, however, if you reply to it, I just lock it, as I don't like to delete legitimate posts :)

Thanks

Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

I delete everything :D