The Day The Music Didn't Die

Discuss the world of file sharing, from philosophy to help with applications.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

p2p-sharing-rules

I found this news story dated May 8th in Dose a small free news paper in my city I tried to find the news article on there site & tried to find the 39 page report commissioned by Heritage Canada but I couldn't find either of them , so I had to type the article instead of copying & pasting it.

It looks like it debunks this claim by the CRIA.
digital-copyright.ca
The Canadian Recording Industry Association has been pressing for tighter controls on how music is distributed, saying the industry has lost close to $6 million in retail sales since the advent of online music trading.
Industry Profits Up Despite Downloading

The Canadian music industry isn't just surviving the mp3 revolution - it's thriving.Since 1999, mainstream record labels have enjoyed an almost 60 per cent jump in profits, due mostly to industry business changes, according to a new government report.Technology remains the "wild card" for the entertainment industry's economic future.

The canadian music industry is growing faster then the country's economy, despite the setbacks it has faced from widespread illegal music downloading, according to a report commissioned by Heritage Canada.
The 39-page report document reveals that between 1999 and 2004 music sales decreased by about 35 per cent - but the industry's gross domestic product contribution jumped from $243 million to $387 million.
"Evidence suggests..that the (industry) has demonstrated steady growth through the 1999 to 2004 period - precisely the same period of years that have seen a significant reduction in products sales, " concludes the report, alluding to the popularity of illegal file-trading networks.
The country's four major record labels made money despite a drop in sales thanks to industry consolidation, staff layoffs and improvements in production and distribution technologies.
The study's producers included the recent increase in royalty payments to music publishers.
Profitability has not softened the industry's stance against illegal downloaders.The Canadian Recording Industry Association(CRIA) was in Federal Court in March, seeking to force Internet service providers to release information on downloaders.The request was turned down.
But not everyone in Canada's music biz agrees with CRIA's tactics.Last week, a new union of Canadian musicians - including the Barenaked Ladies, Avril Lavigne and Broken Social Scene - formed the Canadian Music Creators Coalition.They oppose the CRIA's tactics od sueing illegal downloaders and putting copy-protection technologies on music.
"for a very long time, we have allowed industry groups to speak on our behalf,"said Steven Page of the Barenaked Ladies." we want that time to stop." - CNS
Last edited by p2p-sharing-rules on Mon May 15, 2006 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for typing that up P2P :)

Even though it is across the border, I imagine these are facts and figures that the RIAA won't like at all.
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
p2p-sharing-rules

Your welcome Battye.i'm finally back online.
pokesthelippyfish
Fsh
Fsh

welcome back p2 :)
If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution.
moongirl

p2p-sharing-rules wrote:I had to type the article instead of copying & pasting it.
The nimble-fingered one Image
Thanks for the article :wink:
That's not the man in the moon...that's me ;)