WinMx Flooding Alert

Discuss the world of file sharing, from philosophy to help with applications.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

This is a duplicate of a thread on a few forums which folk should post on their sites/forums ,if we all follow these simple instructions, the flooding problem will have less impact on us .

WinMx Help Guide

This guide was put together to help all of you avoid being driven from this network by the "Bully Boy " tactics of the Riaa/Mpaa and the companies that pay them .
Please follow theses useful steps to make sure that your getting the most out of WinMx.

(1) The first thing you should do is join a room, which ever one takes your fancy . This will help make the network strong and also get a network in place for when we need to act in a concerted manner.
Another benefit of this, is the source of uncorrupted files, that are held by fellow room members.

(2) Install Peer Guardian and make sure it is active when your using WinMx. This will ensure that you cannot connect to many of the flooders, the Peer Guardian list is updated very regularly, so dont think that its not worth your time . Get it here
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/peer ... e?download
Peer Guardian2 Beta 6 is a much improved version that is lean on your machines resources.
A further special blocklist exists for Winmx that you can import into your Peer Guardian and it will then update automatically daily.
This list is maintained by 3 winmx related sites working together to track the flooders and is highly accurate. Get instructions from Here
on how to add the list to your Peer Guardian2

(3) Another great program for blocking the flooders is "Sherwood", This is a program that will block the flooders from leeching your bandwidth to flood the network and must be started just before you start winmx up. Get it from here
http://sherwood.sh.funpic.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1
The one to install is called "Sherwood Base" (the top one in the list).
Cheers for that Robin :wink:

(4) Use our simple guide to connect to Open Nap , this is always a source of good, non fake files, and trust me it really is easy, as its already built into WinMx.
http://forums.cricketmx.com/viewtopic.php?t=599

(5) When searching for any file always add this to the lower search box.
A while ago the flooders where using many varitions so the -c: filter was used but at the moment the full file path has the string "user" in it so by blocking this you get to block thousands of them.
To be on the safe side do a "Whois" of the person you wish to download from, BEFORE starting any download or "Browse" them, many of the fakers are sharing 3OOO files and have stupidly large amounts of slots open.
Dont waste your time on these people, a simple check like this will save you much time and annoyance, as well as reducing the load they place on the network. See here for an example of a fake set of files
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/ ... files1.jpg

(6) Right click on your download as your getting it, and select Play , this will allow you to confirm its the correct file. Also if your getting an album wrapped title (ALBW) , you can try opening the listing one you have a few % of the download , to check its the right file

(7) When you obtain a good copy of a file thats being heavily faked, remember to share it so others like yourself, can aviod having to waste time sorting real from fake. (Please resist the urge to write "Real" or "Not Fake" in the file name, as the flooders do this too).

( 8 ) If you are experiencing difficulty with your connection please be aware that a patch exists for Secondary network users. This will help filter out a small problem that can cause you to be disconnected and limiting your room list, get it here.
http://www.kingmacro.net/kingmacro/?section=mx
Look for the "WinMx Patch", this will go into your C:\Program files\Winmx\ folder and should be called olepro32.dll (believe it or not, people have tried to put zip files in there and then said its not working ) . Restart your WinMx and it will begin its operation without you noticing a thing.

(9) ISP blocking. This is a new phenomenon to WinMx also, but the normal ways to counter such problems are to change ports to ones not used by WinMx, (6699 tcp, and 6257 udp), not using those ports will give you a good chance to avoid the filtering system they use.
Your ports can be changed by going into WinMx Settings up top and looking for "Incoming Tcp", and "In/Out Udp Packets". I cant give you much in the way of guidance on what you should use, because the more varied the ports we all use, the harder it is to shut down our network ( pick a number between 0 and 65535) . In most cases I suggest going to lower numbers that are used by things such as webmail, msn, web pages, and many other services that it would be wise for the ISP not to block.
Once you have changed the ports restart WinMx for the change to take effect.

(10) Do Not under any circumstances use WinMx to trade Wma format files as these contain identifying information that can lead straight back to your machine.
Play safe and rip to mp3 only

(11) Something a lot of people are overlooking, is that leaving the search box open on one of these flooded titles will drop all your primaries, by tying up all the network
Click stop as soon as the files go over 1000 and refine your search, by bitrate, title , connection type. Otherwise your doing their "dirty work" for them.
A few folks have mentioned this aspect of the flooding, so close those search boxes after searching and press stop quickly if it looks like its going to "avalanche"

(12) Not sure if a file is fake? Never risk downloading and testing it. They could be running a TCP viewer and logging IP's. (same as you can do to them for inclusion into the peer guardian listings :wink: )
When doing a search and getting thousands of results, click the "User" bar in the header of the search window. That will put all users names in alphabetical order. Common sense would tell you that any user would not be sharing 20+ copies of the same song, regardless of how it is named.
Also watch for the same name and hash with a multitude of connection types. i.e. User name: Disturbed426_8947 should not be connected as DSL, Cable and T1 with the same exact ID.

Your not sure about a video file ? Use Vlc player to preview the file as its downloading, get it from here
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ Thanx to Snyper for that tip
If your downloading an ALBW filw you can view the contents of the file by trying to unwrap it after a few % of the download. Thanks to Gypsy Blue for that one.
Fresh from the tips dept is this great pic and tip from Faceby88. Look at the parts on the pic below and see how the good files have active users qued , the fakes have no such users.
http://www.vladd44.com/mxfakes.jpg

(Credit for item 12 goes to Vittijr, although I have edited certain portions .)

Well folks you know what to do. know any new tips ? just post underneath here , but practical tips only please :D

[EDIT] Post updated to reflect current position.
Last edited by quicksilver on Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

This free program might be just the thing your looking for to help you defeat ISP filtering.

http://www.handyarchive.com/Internet/Ut ... r-ADSL.htm
By using features like traffic shaping, speed and status display, software router, firewall and connection time and transfer volume monitoring. RVS-COM for ADSL improves upload and download speed and responsiveness during e.g. downloads. A taskbar icon monitors the connection status as well as the transmission rates and the transferred data volume and graphically displays the bandwidth used
Hmm sounds very useful to me :)
Ome_Leo
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Oke, few remarks
4) would first whois, to see number of files and uploadslots, if not in the search window.
6) share the true copy, not the fake.

new, to minimize timed-outs on the downloads, go to settings/outgoing tcpconnections and set the timeout value higher as 25, max 120

If a file refuses to finish, sometimes gives file-error 004, do a search for alternates and see if more users are on he same pecentage of finishing the file, in that case, delete the file and start over downloading from complete sources only, automatic search off for that file,
btw, file error 004 may be caused by too many resends of data.
me here
Healing Hands
Healing Hands

I have one suggestion to help avoid the fakes via using OpenNap
Once you've got yourself set up using OpenNap you can pick and choose the Network you want to do your searches on.

By using this handy button on your search screen you can individually choose the OpenNap Networks you search on..as the WPN Network is the one the RIAA is flooding. If you dont find what your looking for on one OpenNap Network just repeat as needed picking a different OpenNap network as you go..

This way if your looking for something the RIAA has decided to flood you can still get the music your entitled to with out the aggravation they want to give you.. :wink:
A World Dominated by WinMX
http://www.winmxworld.com/
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

I love OpenNap, it is a feature of WinMX that is often overlooked, which is a shame.
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

Ome Leo said
6) share the true copy, not the fake.
That was my instructions Leo , common sense says theres no point in sharing the fake. I suspect the mix up is because english is not your first language , I,ll edit that section to make it more clear . :D
I,ll reverse the order of item 4 too as its easier to get a whois rather than a browse , thanks for the tips 8)
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Another way to avoid fakes, in the:

1 + 2 available users

For instance, if the red number is 1 or above it appears to be a real file.

If it is 0 then I have found that it is most likely a fake.
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Joshua203
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

maybe it's a silly idea but it helped me once not dowloading a fake

i browsed a few users offering the file and one off them reshared the fake after renaming it telling it was a fake