Real Alternative & Quicktime Alternative [freeware]

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

p2p-sharing-rules

A real alternative to using RealPlayer.
I thought maybe you people might be interested in trying it out if you use RealPlayer, the media player that people love to hate, but still need it to play real formats.

Real Alternative 2.0.2 release date: February 19th 2010
(Windows 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, and Windows 7)

Release Notes:
Real Alternative will allow you to play RealMedia files without having to install RealPlayer or RealOne Player from Real Networks. Supported are: RealAudio (.ra .rpm), RealMedia (.rm .ram .rmvb .rpx .smi .smil), RealText (.rt) and ReadPix (.rp). It also supports RealMedia content that is embedded in webpages. The very user-friendly installation is fully customizable, which means that you can install only those components that you want.

Real Alternative Lite is Real Alternative without Media Player Classic.

Features of Real Alternative 2.0.2 :
- Media Player Classic [version 6.4.9.1-107]
- RealMedia Codecs [version 12.0.0.301]
- RealMedia plugin for Internet Explorer
- RealMedia plugin for Opera/Mozilla/Netscape/Google Chrome
- RealMedia DirectShow splitter [version 1.3.1268.0]

Changes in Real Alternative 2.0.2 :
- Updated Media Player Classic to version 6.4.9.1 rev. 107
- Minor changes

Download links:
Real Alternative 2.0.2
Real Alternative Lite 2.0.2

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A great alternative to using QuickTime player you can even use it with iTunes. Read the FAQ after you install it for more details.

QuickTime Alternative 3.2.2
Release Date: Friday, April 16, 2010
(Windows XP, 2003, Vista, 2008 and 7)

Release Notes:
QuickTime Alternative will allow you to play QuickTime files (.mov, .qt and other extensions) without having to install QuickTime Player from Apple. It also supports QuickTime content that is embedded in webpages. The very user-friendly installation is fully customizable, which means that you can install only those components that you want.
QuickTime Alternative Lite and QT Lite do not include Media Player Classic. The text in red does not apply to QuickTime Alternative Lite and QT Lite.

Features of QuickTime Alternative:
* Media Player Classic is a full-featured player which has decoding support for QuickTime content.
* QuickTime codecs are required for playing QuickTime movies and audio.
* QuickTime ActiveX control allows you to view QuickTime content that is embedded in a webpage. The QuickTime Browser plugin supports Internet Explorer. Other programs might also need this component.
* QuickTime Browser plugin allows you to view QuickTime content that is embedded in a webpage. The QuickTime Browser plugin supports Mozilla, Firefox, Seamonkey, Netscape, Opera and Chrome.
* QuickTime Control Panel is required for configuring some QuickTime settings.
* QuickTime plugins are required for viewing some special formats that are sometimes used on webpages. The QuickTime plugins include iPIX and QuickTimeVR.
* QuickTime DirectShow filter allows you to play QuickTime content in all DirectShow enabled players. Without this filter QuickTime content can only be played in Media Player Classic.

Changelog of QuickTime Alternative 3.2.2 and QT Lite 3.2.2:
* Updated QuickTime codecs to 7.66.71.0
* Updated QuickTime ActiveX control to 7.66.71.0
* Updated QuickTime Browser plugin to 7.66.71.0
* Enabled support for embedded mp4 and m4a files
* Fixed the configuration option at the end of the installation
* Added a warning when the option to install Apple Application Support is unchecked
* Added a warning when an incompatible version of Apple Application Support is detected

Download links:
QuickTime Alternative 3.2.2
QT Lite 3.2.2
QuickTime Alternative 1.90
QuickTime Alternative 1.56

iTunes compatibility add-on
This add-on allows you to use QuickTime Alternative (or QT Lite) together with iTunes 8. Without this add-on iTunes will give an error about missing components.
Download link: QuickTime Alternative iTunes add-on 2.7.0
Note: this add-on is only required when using version 2.7.0 of QuickTime Alternative!

The last supported version of QuickTime Alternative for Windows 95/98/ME/NT OS users is QuickTime Alternative 1.56 & QuickTime Alternative 1.90 is the last supported version for windows 2000 users.For now on I'll be providing the latest release versions of QuickTime Alternative or Real Alternative on the 1st page of this thread.

I hope Battye doesn't freak out. :lol: I left everyone's comments. I removed just the download links & what's new info from the other pages.
Last edited by p2p-sharing-rules on Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

This seems to be the correct link :)

edit It was an active link, but it's dead link now :(
p2p-sharing-rules

ty quick I'll add the d/l link to my post.I've also d/led quicktime alternative too..now i can watch mov videos in full screen ..the nagware version of quicktime doesn't let u use full screen.
p2p-sharing-rules

Related downloads:
- Tara's Real Audio Input Plugin (for Winamp): allows Winamp to play real audio, real video, real jukebox, mpegs, live rtsp/pnm streams, and many other formats.

- RealMedia Splitter: allows you to play RealNetworks audio/video files using Windows Media Player.

Note:
- You must have Real Player or Real Alternative installed in order for these plugins to work.
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

Well Spotted P2P 8)
p2p-sharing-rules

Thanks quicksilver. :D I missed the other updated versions tho of them.
Before i checked for updates, i was using Real Alternative v1.29 & quicktime Alternative v1.39.
I still have to update to Quicktime Alternative v1.44.
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

I'm using 'real alternative' now and it is a big relief not to have to rely on the genuine realplayer anymore. It was bugging me with constant (denied) attempts to contact the internet.
p2p-sharing-rules

8) It beats using the official Realplayer,even if Real Alternative is illegal.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Downloading it now, thanks P2P :D
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
p2p-sharing-rules

Your welcome, Battye. :)
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is a very good program. Tonnes better than the real QuickTime.

Thumbs up from me!

Thanks P2P! :D
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
p2p-sharing-rules

Your welcome Battye. :thumleft:
I also use Media Player Classic as my default player for videos & I use Winamp Lite for mp3's.
It plays just about any file extension, just as long as you have the right codecs pack installed on your system.
The only file type that i found that it won't play is ALBW's.I don't no why it doesn't play them.
Layzie Bone
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy

That's really cool, because I hate apple and i hate real player, their propertary software are useless resource hogs and an overall security vulnerablility altogeather.
p2p-sharing-rules

Yep that's why I use 'em.I install QT alt 1st then install real alt lite.I barely watch clips in either formats , but it's good to have in case I run into a site that uses apple or real formats.MPC is a pretty good player too.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

I hope Battye doesn't freak out. I left everyones comments. I removed just the download links & what's new info from the other pages.
That's it, I'm removing you as a moderator... :P

Good work mate, I like how all of the information is in the first post now, it looks very good. Well done :) :mrgreen: