How fast have you gone??

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

Freezmizer
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

This is a good example of just how unreliable WinMX is at gauging bandwidth, notice the total K/s on the file, says 598K/s, but the individual users K/s dont even come close to that. This is typical and usually only lasts for a minute or two, after it catches up it will settle back to what the users are actually giving you. (Still dont trust it :lol: )

http://freezmizer.home.comcast.net/598.JPG
-- Ha Ha Charade you are....... --
jctoad
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

It's really a problem in windows. It can't keep track of what is really going on and windows is where winmx gets its info from. You will see the same thing occur with other programs like netstat live.
Don't count your toads until they're running around with their heads cut off.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jc, I prefer it if people call it Residential T3+ :P
Seriously though, it's super fast cable:
Uncapped/128k 8)
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Freez, you had a browse window up on a trader :shock: :shock: :shock:
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Freezmizer
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

Thats not my screenshot. Good eye though, but the person who it belonged to was not trading, just browsing a user in queue. :roll:
-- Ha Ha Charade you are....... --
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok :?

BeeZer
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

Not really a WinMx speed but a couple of weeks ago I downloaded a 700MB ISO in just over a min. I was getting 1.06MB/s. That's Mega BYTES. I was at work and must have hit the right combination of servers and low traffic. It was an FTP transfer. Usually I don't get those kind of transfer rates even at work.
From the Planet Kriket
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow, you have T3 or some other high speed conenction obviously! :shock:

Katcha
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

That is fast BeeZer. It takes over 1min 30 secs for me to copy a 700mb file over my 100MBps network.

It's possible your workplace or ISP is caching all web activity and someone else previously d/l the file. I work in education and both our ISP and ourselves have large web caches. We tested with Linux ISO's and for the first download the speed was fairly normal then we went to another PC and d/l the same file from the same site and it came down in less than 2 mins.
BeeZer
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

Katcha wrote:That is fast BeeZer. It takes over 1min 30 secs for me to copy a 700mb file over my 100MBps network.

It's possible your workplace or ISP is caching all web activity and someone else previously d/l the file. I work in education and both our ISP and ourselves have large web caches. We tested with Linux ISO's and for the first download the speed was fairly normal then we went to another PC and d/l the same file from the same site and it came down in less than 2 mins.
Had'nt thought of the caching angle .. could be. I know for a fact that my workplace isn't caching cause I manage our network :D As far as the ISP ... hmm not that I'm aware but they don't specifically say that they DON'T cache. Would an ISP normally cache FTP traffic though?
We use a wireless technology from a company called Terago
They're all line-of-site connections and we have a small receiver on our roof. Our contract states that they guarantee 1.5M both ways but in reality we usually have much more. A few times I've just checked our speed on dsl reports and usually get a fairly wide range from 3000kps to 5000kps. They don't do residential and I couldn't afford it if they did.
Guess I'll just start doin all my WinMxing at work now. Just set up a cot and a small fridge and hang around in my underware. :D
From the Planet Kriket
Katcha
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

BeeZer wrote:Would an ISP normally cache FTP traffic though?
I don't think it's normal. Our ISP serves all higher education establishments and I think the theory is that most of the pages/files requested will be fairly repetetive. I don't know about FTP though, that's something for me to test on Monday.
Bacon
Boo, or Boo-urns?
Boo, or Boo-urns?

BeeZer wrote:Not really a WinMx speed but a couple of weeks ago I downloaded a 700MB ISO in just over a min. I was getting 1.06MB/s. That's Mega BYTES. I was at work and must have hit the right combination of servers and low traffic. It was an FTP transfer. Usually I don't get those kind of transfer rates even at work.
That was probably a 10mbit ATM or maybe even PPPoE link to your local line exchange, still its not fast enough to jump away from Copper.
amsd2dth
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

I saw one of mine hit 180 once... with several sources