Ubuntu linux - free burning and shipping

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

KrazyKid
A Forum Addict
A Forum Addict

Sick of Windoes M$? Looking for a nice alternative? Thought of Linux? Discouraged about how complicated it is? Using dial-up? Discouraged about how long it would take to download Linux? Worry no more. shipit.ubuntu.com will ship Ubuntu Linux to you completely free of charge. Sound too good to be true? Well...I'm still waiting for my copy. It's also supposed to be very easy to install and use :D Can't wait to get mine.[/url]
KrazyKid
My new site is up!
thatothersite.net
Layzie Bone
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy

when did you oder your copy?
KrazyKid
A Forum Addict
A Forum Addict

Less then a week ago. So I obviously don't expect it yet. I just can't wait for it to get here lol.
KrazyKid
My new site is up!
thatothersite.net
nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

I've heard of Ubuntu, and there seem to be quite a few people using it. I was thinking of using it as my next install, as I heard it was hard to set up, but it seems that's not the case.

Right now I'm running Slackware, as I'm told it's config is a lot closer to most other *nix distros than, say, RedHat.

I think my next install is going to be from http://linuxfromscratch.org . I think right now I'm at the point where I'm almost functional, and doing it from scratch might be the best way to fill in the rest of the blanks.
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

I have an Ubuntu DVD but I've never felt like installing it. It seems to be a very similar beast to Debian. Personally, I hate Debian as I've never managed to get it configured nicely. That being the case I'm in no hurry to try Ubuntu.

linuxfromscratch sounds like a nice idea... If I ever feel like a change I may give that a try. Currently I'm running Mandriva (AKA: Mandrake 10.2) and I'm loving it. I've also tried older Mandrake versions and liked those too. My second fave is SuSE which was installed here until recently.

If you can afford to buy a magazine with a cover disc, you usually don't have to wait to get linux. It falls of magazines pretty much every month. Also, it's worth noting that you can sometimes run linux directly from the DVD, so no installation is necessary - tho I can't really see why you'd want to do that.
nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

Rat wrote:Also, it's worth noting that you can sometimes run linux directly from the DVD, so no installation is necessary - tho I can't really see why you'd want to do that.
One application is to use it for an internet kiosk, without having to worry that some punk kid is going to ruin it for everybody by deleting important files.
http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS4984662030.html

Also, Knoppix and the like are cool as recovery disks and to slowly introduce someone to Linux that isn't ready to take the plunge and install it.

But, in general, you're going to want to have your Linux firmly planted on your hard drive. :)
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

Hmm... internet kiosks. I'd never have thought of that in a million years. I suppose the punk kid has no access to the hardware then? If he does, he'll steal the disc anyway. :)