WinMX goes offline

Discuss the world of file sharing, from philosophy to help with applications.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

..Ñøßߥ..
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Visit here for KM's good work - http://www.winmxgroup.com/
p2p-sharing-rules

From Vladd44's site
New Hostfile Released PIEpatch2.3 09/29/05 14:00 GMT

Automatic Installer, just download and run.

Updated to reflect new options in peer caches.

:arrow: download PIEpatch2.3.exe

source:Vladd44

Learn more about Operation PIE here.Vladd44

The combined split host file still works, so if you not having problems with it you don't need to really update.It's up to you If wanna try the new PIEpatch2.3 host patch.I haven't tried yet.I'm still using the old split host file.
Also the KM .dll patch isn't fixed to work on 98/ME yet he's still working on it, if you use those OS you can connect to WinMX by using the combined split host file or the new Piepatch.

From WinMX unlimited's site.
Here you can download most of the 3rd party programs that used to work for the old WinMX peer caches! These have
been changed to work with the new ones so they can connect!

:arrow: download WCS

:arrow: download Nushi MXChat 2.5E

source: WinMX Unlimited

Thanks to Vladd44's & WinMX Unlimited's sites for this info. :D
p2p-sharing-rules

Another PIEPatch update,Thanks vladd44. :D

:arrow: download PIEPatch2.4

If you have a previous version running, it will prompt you to uninstall the Old version, After it runs the uninstall, you will need to run the New Patch again.
For detailed instructions to install it go here : Vladd44

Updated to reflect new options in peer caches. Please update asap.

source: vladd44
p2p-sharing-rules

New Hostfile Released 10/01/2005 18:30 GMT From Operation PIE.

:arrow: download PIEPatch2.5.exe

:arrow: For those who want to manually install it download it here. pie2.5-manual.zip

Thank to Vladd44 and anyone else who helped to create it. :D

Source:Vladd44
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for keeping us updated P2P :D
It's good to know WinMX is still alive :)
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
p2p-sharing-rules

Your Welcome Battye. :) I'm just trying to help to get the word out the WinMX isn't dead yet.
We need more to people to connect as primarys to help keep MX going & also primarys to get PG2 to help block the :evil: RIAA Bullies from attacking the WPN.

From Vladd44's site.

RoboMX Patched to work with PIE PATCH 10/02/2005

:arrow: Download RoboMX-PIEPatched.zip

Simply Extract the RoboMX.exe file and install it over your old one .

Default location is C:\Program Files\RoboMX.

You will need The PIE Patch for this to work.
Thanks hollow.

Source:Vladd44

Thanks Hollow,Vladd44 . :D
p2p-sharing-rules

Update!
RCMS Ver.8.0 !
Add third party peer cache server support (WPN is available) .

:arrow: Download RCMS80

Web WinMX Chat

Join WinMX 2SN Chat

Source:2SN

Me Here wrote this at winmxworld:
Okay we have a problem that the entire community should be aware of.

The Problem:
As mentioned in the previous post one of the peer caches being used to connect users to the WPN is being blocked by the Bluetack folks. They have refused our requests and even made threats to perminatly ban us for telling people. Boils down to they are NOT going to remove the IP from thier lists. Using the allow list is fine however, to be more universal we feel that there is a better answer.

The Answer:
Sherwood For WinMX was created specifically with WinMX in mind, made by a great programmer nicked Robin Hood. He is a WinMXer just like us and this list auto updates from his site. There is also no need to add new lists of blocks or allows to this. We are hoping it will be easier for users and work better in the long run to protect us from these DOS attacks. We are still loosing primaries to the RIAA all this time, its vital to bug everyone you see about doing thier part to keep us strong.

At this time I am telling yall so that you can get this news to your fellow roomies and decide whats best for you. If your using the W2_32.dll from our site you dont need Peerguardian or Sherwood for protection as far as WinMX is concerned. If your using the PIE patch from Vladds site you do still need to protect the network, and Sherwood is a great alternative.
FAQ about Sherwood from Winmxworld.

Source:winmxworld

From Sherwoods Forum:
Filename: Sherwood.exe
Description:A standalone executable
Download Sherwood.exe, make sure WinMx is set on Networks tab/Make a primary connection to the network. Open Winmx settings/Incoming Tcp Connections and check the Listen on Port#, close WinMx down,wait a few minutes or use a simple tcp viewer to check/kill all winmx connections. Open up Sherwoord.exe and write the winmx tcp port in. Wait a minute and open winmx.
Filename: SherwoodBase1021.exe
Description:Sherwood.exe + needed windows VB runtime files
Filename: msvbvm60.zip
Description:a big needed windows VB file
Most users will already have the windows Vb files on their computer if you download Filename: Sherwood.exe and have runtime errors please download and run SherwoodBase1021.exe installer and maybe still need Filename: msvbvm60.zip to unzip and put next to Sherwood.exe.
Then follow the instructions above to block WinMx Network Interference.
:arrow: Link to download Sherwood.

Source:Sherwood

Thanks to Me Here, 2SN, Winmxworld & Sherwood. :D
No Thanks to the PG2 & Bluetack folks :x
p2p-sharing-rules

There's a new PIE Patch Update Thanks Vladd44 :D

Download :arrow: v2.6

DO NOT FALL FOR THIS SCAM!!

It has come to the WinMX community's attention that some scumbag /-\sshole is exploiting KM's fix and/or maybe the PIE Patch or other hosts files Fixes for financial profit & doesn't care about the WinMX community as a whole & only wants to exploit the fixes for money. :evil: :x

Here's the scumbags scam site: fixwinmx.com :roll:

He's charging $17.88 just to email you the same fix(es) and info that you could get by searching WinMX help forums + he also gets your e-mail address to possibly spam you in the future.

You never have to pay for WinMX it is %100 free those sites that are trying to sell you WinMX are only scam sites.

Trust the WinMX help forums to keep you up to date on what's going on with WinMX for fixes or patches & watch out for scam sites like this one i'm sure there'll be more in the future trying to exploit WinMX fixes.
Last edited by p2p-sharing-rules on Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Layzie Bone
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy

Stuff like that needs to make it to slyck, vladd, or any major p2p site.
p2p-sharing-rules

I agree with you wanabe, people should spread the word on p2p sites/forums about WinMX or any other p2p software scam sites.
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

k folks... I've been accidentally locked out of here for afew weeks and it looks like I've come back in to some mixed news.
First and foremost, congrats and encouragement to the bods working on getting winmx up and running again. A decentralised management is harder to sue.
However, while I was considering installing winmx under wine on my linux box.... I think I'll wait and see what happens. (Meanwhile - downloading (as I type) thru the standard bittorrent client on mandrake... I love free software.... incidentally, even my operating system was downloaded thru BT).
p2p-sharing-rules

Welcome Back Rat. :) That's why we haven't seen you amongst are mist for awhile.
p2p-sharing-rules

Me Here wrote at WMW.
sorry for the troubles but yesterday yes we did have many ppl experience error when starting WinMX using the .dll... .

The cause was it contains a built in block list and when our site here was down it was unable to update that list and refused to start winmx.

We have since corrected that problem and would ask that you install the updated (oct. 6th) patch from the same location as the original..
You can download the new update at this site:
winmxgroup

Download :arrow: ws2_32.dll

Thanks to Me Here, winmxworld & winmxgroup. :D
p2p-sharing-rules

WinMXWorld's hosts file fix for 98/ME.
Windows 98/ME Users. Please be aware that theWS2_32.dll does not seem to function on these operating systems yet. KM is working on resolving this issue.

For 98/ME users please use the hosts files to get reconnected to WinMX. This is a self installing file. You can download it from here:

This Self Installing and updated Hosts file includes all Peer Cache servers for faster connection times.
Again, this is a self installing file, simply double click and allow to install.

Once you have finished the installation then restart WinMX, remember that the hosts files are not as speedy or efficient as the WS2_32.dll, so be patient.

It will not overwrite your existing Hosts file, it will create a backup copy and replace it if you decide to uninstall later.
Download :arrow: hosts_file_98me.exe

Thanks to WinMXworld. :D