Problem adding categories

All web design discussion, including Ultimate Quiz MOD support.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

barney_rubble
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

When i try and add a category it isn't showing up in the quiz section, i looked at the SQL with phpmyadmin and it has not altered it.

As far as i am aware i altered all the files and uploaded all the files in the archive correctly.

I also ran the database updater which seemed to work without any errors, i have tried manually adding the SQL changes also.

Can anybody give me a clue as to where i may of gone wrong?

I am using v1.06 of the mod.

Thanks
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

In phpMyAdmin, a quiz categories table is present?

Also, are there any errors when you add the category?
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
barney_rubble
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Yes, the categories tanle is there, these are the tables i have.

phpbb_quiz, phpbb_quiz_categories, phpbb_quiz_scores, phpbb_quiz_survey, phpbb_quiz_text

And as for the errors, i don't see anything after i try to add a category, not a confirmation message or an error message, all i see is a blank page with the powered by phpbb stuff at the bottom.

I don't see anything when i go to quiz.php either, just a blue bar (subSilver) and thats about it.

I just checked all the file edits as well, all seems to be fine.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's quite odd.

You don't use PHP 5 do you?
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
barney_rubble
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

No, i use PHP 4.3.2.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have no idea then, never has anybody had this problem before. The fact that you are using the latest version, and most popular version makes it doubly odd.

Do you have any other MOD's installed.. namely, Categories Hierachy?

[Sidenote: PHP 4.3.2 is pretty old, a few security problems have been fixed since then. Let your webhost know about it so they can upgrade it]

barney_rubble
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

I have quite a few other mods installed but i don't have categories hierachy.

Off the top of my head i think i have....

phpBB Security
Amod +
Attachment Mod
Cash Mod (installed but not currently in use)
Extreme Styles
Database Optimizer
IM Portal
Links Mod
A moderator actions logger
Easy Mod (although i never use it)
Flags Mod
Postcount Configuration
A post count resync tool
pafileDB
Admin Notes

I am sure there are some more i can't remember just now as well.

I am not sure if that helps you at all.

Thanks for the help all the same.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Only thing I can think of is Extreme Styles interfering, but nobody else has reported any problems.

This is quite strange indeed, I'll let you know if I think of anything :?

wakasm
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

I am having the same problem now.

I have 3 categories, and now when i try to add a 4th category, it just brings up the same blank page with the phpboard info at the bottom and it never shows up.

Is there like a "Max Categories" option I don't know about?

Tx!
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

And you had no problem adding the first three categories?

wakasm
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

nope. Just for some reason after the 3rd when i add one, it submits just never actually shows up in the quiz portion.

Lol It's frustrating because now i have this wonderful MOD and am slowed because I can't categorize everythign the way that I want!

On a second note - is there a way to edit category nameS?

Tx!
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Does adding subcategories still work?

Yes, you can edit the category names. In the Category Admin, simply click the name, a page will appear where you are given the option to edit or delete :)