Disaster in Chicago Results In Downtime

All updates to the site will be posted here.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

CricketMX has been down for a few hours, not as a result of our host who has been working very hard to get all sites back up, but because of some strange occurances in Chicago. A power station blew (in St Louis from what I can gather), causing half of Chicago to lose power, including the server where we are hosted.

Being down in Australia it's hard to get much information, but I turned on Fox News, apparantly it was pretty bad. No injuries luckily, but it was a blazing fire, 15 feet high, on top of that many propane gases were released into the atmosphere.

It's been reported that over 38,000 homes and businesses without power (Source: CBS )

I was able to gain access to Hostforweb momentarily, and they told me this:
Power was out in chicago backup generators at DC have failed power has now been restored servers are booting back up now
The power in Chicago has been lost and subsequently our provider routes are down. We are waiting for this to be resolved as it is effecting more than half the city. Thanks for your patience.
Apparantly there have been some bad lightning storms in the region recently, which may have contributed to it, but from what I can tell it was caused from high temperatures (high 90's).

http://www.belleville.com/mld/bellevill ... 981877.htm
http://cbs2chicago.com/illinois/IL--Com ... _news_html

Hopefully we will remain online now, thanks to Hostforweb for getting us back up! :)
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
A.I. BOT
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

damn maintenance workers not doing there job :P
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Another update from Hostforweb:
The power in Chicago has been lost and subsequently our provider routes are down. We are waiting for this to be resolved as it is effecting more than half the city. Thanks for your patience.
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/062405_ ... _fire.html

Power is on at the Data center backup generators are functioning properly all servers are running, it is the major telecom providers that have routers down due to the blackout.

No ETA at this time, connectivity should be restored as soon as the city puts out the underground electrical fire in the power distribution center, and then makes sure its safe for the engineers to go in and repair any damage.

Some servers may experience minor blackouts during this time.
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Red XIII
Sultan Ruler Of The Poles!

There was a pretty bad lightning storm here last night...good thing all the lightning struck the lake and no where around town :-k
Die Verstorbenen werden wieder in einem Fluss des Bluts steigen
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Another article regarding the incident:
Attachments
Source: The West Australian
Source: The West Australian
chicag1.jpg (15.2 KiB) Viewed 7955 times

Red XIII

Sheesh...mother nature is pissed :shock:
Die Verstorbenen werden wieder in einem Fluss des Bluts steigen
Joshua
A Forum Addict
A Forum Addict

i live near chicago and i dont recall hearing about any of these occurances..... hmm........
:| No well-behaved person ever changed the world. :|
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Joshua wrote:i live near chicago and i dont recall hearing about any of these occurances..... hmm........
Well, just to clear up any confusion 2 years down the track, I talked to someone from Chicago, Illinois to find out what happened:
<Vend> that power vault explosion only effected a small part of downtown chgo
<Vend> cricket....if I remember right the power outage that U refer to was an underground power vault that had blown up
<Vend> power in that particular area was out for a few days
<will2flye> made me think about the blackout in NY & 9 months later the birth rate went thru the cielings for a few days..
<Vend> it happens periodically in chgo...the power vaults are underground but this partici=ular one took a few days instaed od normally half a day to fix
<scacricket001> will2flye: haha!
<Vend> lol@will
<scacricket001> Vend: I suppose explostions are a bit out of the ordinary though!
<Vend> yes they are
<will2flye> well we just know these things just happen...lol
<Vend> kinda like...chit happens
<will2flye> or chiggers
<scacricket001> lol
<Vend> normally when a transformer goes bad in one of these vaults they just burn but that time it blew up