V1.0.3 - suggestions/queries

All web design discussion, including Ultimate Quiz MOD support.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

murphyz
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Hello,

I've been playing around with the newest version of the quiz a little bit more now it's on my site, and have the following suggestions/queries.

1) The part of the quiz that states:
$20 earned per correct answer
$10 taken per incorrect answer
A tax of $5 to play
As people are able to select their own currency in the Cash Mod, it would be ideal to be able to tie this in a little bit more with the quiz mod. I use something called 'vChipz' as my currency, and so need to go into the language file to change the above quoted lines of text. It would be handy if you could specify the currency in the ACP and the $ would automatically change to the currency specified. (same goes for the 'final scores' section)

On my forum this now looks like this:
20 vChipz earned per correct answer
10 vChipz taken per incorrect answer
A tax of 5 vChipz to play

2) The following lines in the language file:

Code: Select all

$lang['congrats_quiz_100'] = 'Congratulations %s! You have scored 100%, well done!';
$lang['congrats_quiz_0'] = '%s, you scored 0%! Nothing! Better luck next time!';
Should show how much they have earned in the currency. Even though the second one is $0 - it's still good to let the members know that.

3) Would it be possible to give them a little 'cash' summary somewhere?
Perhaps if you had the main cash page read:
$20 earned per correct answer
$10 taken per incorrect answer
A tax of $5 to play
You currently have $XXXX
And on the score summary, after saying how much the user has won/lost a new line saying "you now have $XXXX".

4) The 'Edit Quiz/Delete Quiz' button could perhaps read: 'Edit this Question/Delete Quiz' - as it's not really clear you have to scroll through the questions in order to edit them. Editing questions also clashes with the hack attempt, as it obviously thinks the admin has answered certain questions (which they do need to do in order to get to, for example, question 4 to edit).

Perhaps a way to get around this would be an ACP based questions editor that means you can view all questions and edit as needed without having to take part in the quiz?

5) Perhaps have additional links on the 'score summary screen', a few lines below the text you already have, that read:

'Take another quiz' (this would link back to the quiz page) and 'Back to forum index' (obviously linking back to the forum home page'.

edit:
6) My members are only allowed to take a quiz once. Is it possible with the hack attempt to make the following rules apply?
If the member finishes the quiz, score is recorded. If they then go 'back' and try to change answers - it shows a hack attempt. (this is how it currently is, which is good).
but also...If the member leaves the page midway through the quiz, or presses 'back' midway through the quiz, a hack attempt occurs and the member is unable to retake that quiz. (currently they are able to redo the quiz after doing this - I wish to ensure they are not able to)

edit2:
I was wondering if it would be possible to include an indication beside the quiz link in quiz_body.tpl so a member knows before clicking the link whether or not they have taken that quiz? Perhaps another column at the start that features a little 'tick' image if they have taken it? Or pehaps a way to have two tables, the top one featuring any quiz that they have not yet taken, and the bottom table featuring any quiz that they have taken? (in future releases, the bottom table could allow the viewing of answers that member submitted for each quiz)

Again, excellent work with the mod :)

Mxx
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks!
I am aware of many of the issues you stated, and they will be the changes that will occur in v1.2 (or v2 if Olympus comes out soon). The currencies will be probably the first to be implemented, and I will probably redo the whole playing quiz part (which will make playing once / anti-hack functions easier to work with). Your Edit2 suggestion is a good one, something like how phpBB handles new posts is a very good idea :)
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
murphyz
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Further suggestion from one of my members:
Suggestion for altered behaviour to prevent punishing users who accidentally click the back button or click close instead of maximize and such: When a 'hack attempt' has been detected, don't show their score at the end of the quiz and refund the entry fee. They won't know if they got any wrong and they can try again without punishment.
I don't think it does show the actual score if there is a 'hack attempt', but would the rest be possible to implement?

Mxx