Finns launch new anti-P2P tool.

Discuss the world of file sharing, from philosophy to help with applications.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

KM
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

winmx has a community... but unfortuately thats about all it has, and there are a few idiots (like snip and michael to name just 2 examples) who seem determined to do all they can to destroy that

WinMX World.com - The new help website dedicated completely to WinMX. If you cant find help there, you cant find it anywhere!
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

Yes. It's the community I miss most of all. I don't use winmx at all now. I sometimes get chance to chat thru robo or some such beast, but I don't even feel like running winmx anymore.
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

Hmm, I read this and had to laugh

Grinch said
I tired of the fakes on winmx a while ago and moved on, others should do the same in my opinion.
I would like to point out the obvious fact of this forum having a more than lively WinMx section , obviously your joy at downloading seems
not to have translated into telling us much about it here.

Please make your way over to this feature

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/news/20 ... 1102.shtml

No more ques ? Sure if your in on the torrent early , some never get finished because the seeders disappear, and it needs the whole complete file or its all useless. Security of your identity is non existant, its very much easier to catch a whole torrent load of IP,s than it is to catch one WinMx user.

No more fakes ? If only that where true. I have d/l a movie myself that was something dumped on the network by the cartel, sure is was the right movie but all garbled and unwatchable, all networks will have fakes on, thats reality, its just what is the ratio of real to fake thats important.

No third party apps ? Strange I distinctly remember having to download Java runtimes to make my client operate , and the next day I was rewarded by a virus that utilised a security hole in the Java (this was while testing the freenet app ). also viruses abound as easily as they do on WinMx as I have discovered

I think that while the network is being attacked, its just a pipe dream to think this will not be being extended to reach all p2p apps and types,
Money buys expertise and as the article I posted suggests its not hard to tailor your cloth the fit all types of customer.

I have noticed that the Mods on CricketMx are not very Mx orientated anymore, Bit Torrent is not great for anything but file aquisition and without
the great rooms and folks on WinMx, we may all of us never have met, so let those of us who want to do our bit for it, do so, without hearing the bell of doom
from those who have moved away from an old friend.
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

Don't get me wrong Mr. Quicks, I still 'tune in' to the chats from time to time. I was in last night for example. Also, I don't think BT is the quick fix that's needed. I do think, however, that winmx is becoming too complicated. Too many helper applications are needed to use it efficiently and safely now. I await new versions (I'm not holding my breath) with interest because I'll be happy to see any improvements in what was, and remains, one of my favourite p2p programs.
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

Yes indeed Rat, it was nice to see you pop by, unfortunately I missed your visit, we try to run a sort of shift in the room so we have a
fairly good coverage when folks need help.

We have, Me Here , Storb, Krb, RhymFun ,Hawks, Mxm Marco, and Rock, and many more who all offer there time to keep the place alive, their the folks that make
the room what it is, and, basically for me no non-chat p2p will ever compete with it.

I am watching the Grokster case with baited breath, as I,m sure that as soon as p2p vendors are ruled to be non liable for how folks use their Applications,
we shall see a completely new version of WinMx hit town , as you say it needs to incorporate a few features that folks require as standard ,
litigation often either dramatically slows down or kills technological advancement.
The recording/movie industries have anything that they perceive as hurtful to their monopoly firmly in their sights Bit Torrent especially,
for that app they are joined by the the ISP vendors who cannot afford to supply its enormous network consumption capabilities.
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

No more ques ? Sure if your in on the torrent early , some never get finished because the seeders disappear, and it needs the whole complete file or its all useless. Security of your identity is non existant, its very much easier to catch a whole torrent load of IP,s than it is to catch one WinMx user.
BT still does not have queues and it is quite possible to complete a download without a seed, it all depends.
No more fakes ? If only that where true. I have d/l a movie myself that was something dumped on the network by the cartel, sure is was the right movie but all garbled and unwatchable, all networks will have fakes on, thats reality, its just what is the ratio of real to fake thats important.
Still to this day I have not downloaded one bad file on BT and I cannot fathom the amount of data I have downloaded.
No third party apps ? Strange I distinctly remember having to download Java runtimes to make my client operate , and the next day I was rewarded by a virus that utilised a security hole in the Java (this was while testing the freenet app ). also viruses abound as easily as they do on WinMx as I have discovered
Okay, so Azureus requires Java, big deal. What I was referring to was third party apps to monitor your queues, prune your queues and all that crap.

I am in no way suggesting that BT is the supreme p2p app out there. Communities..... BT has dozens of them. Some are better than others but they do exist. They have IRC channels and forums. Tons of knowledgeable people to help the noobest of users. Remember winmxcommunity.com in it's prime? That is what FileSoup is today and in my opinion a much stronger community. The sudden realization that the site was going to go away set people into a panic and pulled together to keep it alive. I can't even bring myself to install winmx on any of my machines. I do miss the chat room and the people I met there but I see no need to install a p2p app just to chat and wait in line to download a file I can get in a couple of hours on BT.
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

I must admit that I always found WinMx faster than Bit Torrent , why ?
Simple , on WinMx I get incoming traffic only and theres no need to upload at the same time and all the the negotiating with other folks that that entails.
I can get a multiple source upload of many items that do not exist in the world of the torrent user, thats probably why you call it the dark side as it severely diminishes your musical variety.. :lol:

Decentralised is a system by the will of the people, not the forum or server owner, the MPAA/RIAA know this and attack those that deal with
Bit Torrent matters with impunity, knowing how easy it is to shut most of them down.
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

I regulary get 400k downloads on BT, I remember doing that once or twice on WinMX. But hey, to each there own. By the way, I have downloaded 20+ gigs of mp3's on BT within the last 2 weeks. I have absolutely zero problems finding what I want.

I had a good run with WinMX. I downloaded and shared a butt load of files but IMHO, BT is much better.
me here
Healing Hands
Healing Hands

Oi :shock:
Yes Shock.. I been reading this little thread and other little bits and peices lately around here... not happy about it at all.

For one thing "to each his own".. is great statement, lots of ppl I talk to everyday in the CricketMX Rooms use both actually. The problem I am having and just cant hold my tongue about is this.

We have two of CricketMX Mods here basically telling people I send to this forum for help and advise daily from our rooms on WINMX that WinMX is done for..which is a load of manure IMHO. This is a WinMX Forum still yes? Or Have all the Mods jumped ship.

I will tell you what, I work hard to help people get the most out their WinMX and BT in the rooms. I send them to this forum for help, not to be told they are doomed by the people in charge here. By your own admission you dont bother going to WinMX even so how can you judge its viability as a p2p network that has thousands of new users every day.

Besides that, how many new members have we gotten from BT? Anyone know?

Its no that I love WinMX for many reasons. But I am sad we dont have any Mods on this forum that support it, i guess we are lucky we still have Battye supporting it. :(
A World Dominated by WinMX
http://www.winmxworld.com/
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have been with this forum from the beginning and at that time I was already moving away from winmx as my source of downloads. I am a MODERATOR, my job is to moderate the forums and to keep them under control not to support winmx. And as a matter of fact I responded to a pm from one of our new members about his WinMX problems. Even though I don't use it any more I still retain a lot of information and knowledge on the subject. WinMX is a viable p2p app, never said it wasn't. I will admit for mp3's and small files it is damn good but for anything else I would say BT is better since its design was to transfer large files.

If my personal views towards winmx offends the regulars then I will step down as a MOD and move on and battye can hire a mod that is 100% onboard with WinMX.
Rock
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

OK People, just got to put a question to you all.
Is this forum dedicated to WinMx anymore or is it going in a different direction? As all this discussion seems to be about is how bad WinMx is at the moment!

I agree with me
me here wrote: Its no that I love WinMX for many reasons. But I am sad we dont have any Mods on this forum that support it, i guess we are lucky we still have Battye supporting it. :(

I thought Mods were meant to help and help promote Winmx for the new people out there.

This is still a WinMx orientated Forum isnt it?

Well i hope so, as i love WinMx Just as Much As the next person does and want to see it live on :!: :!: :!:

Instead of defaming Winmx, why not Start promoting it!!
Winmx is still the best p2p program out there in my opinion.
I will Always use WinMx and Help Promote it in any way i can

LONG LIVE WINMX
me here
Healing Hands
Healing Hands

Well Grinch I know your a MODERATOR and I even know what one does.... :roll: thus my confusion, in turning a thread about a virus effecting p2p networks into a campaign for BT at the expense of WinMX.

As I said helping ppl with there WinMX, BT, and other computer needs is the idea behind the forum. So the fact you helped someone doesnt surprise me as you seem a very intelligent person. As I stated though my concern is not your support of BT, on the contrary..

Grinch2171 says:
I tired of the fakes on winmx a while ago and moved on, others should do the same in my opinion.
Rat says:
I don't use winmx at all now. I sometimes get chance to chat thru robo or some such beast, but I don't even feel like running winmx anymore.
So the answer to your question to me is "Yes".. your frist statement and Rat's statements completely offend me!

Your skills as a Moderators are not in question with me but your words are. I fight hard to make WinMX the best it can be for what its capable of, and dont like people to read that from Moderators on a forum they come to for help...
I guess its still my opinion a Mod should be more impartial than that. I know I said nothing about being 100% for WinMX or 100% for BT. Its my opinion they both are useful p2p programs.

Also I am thinking that the Cartel we should be united against are reading forums to, and your telling them the flooding is working and giving them what they want, to send people away because they know thats their only way to effect WinMX.
A World Dominated by WinMX
http://www.winmxworld.com/
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

I do believe the flooding is working to some degree as is the taking down of trackers. But resilient users of both platforms stand together and fight back. I'm all for people using winmx, I just feel that an alternative should be known.

You must remember that at one point in time this forum had a BT tracker dedicated to it and I ran it. I have always been for BT (since discovering it) and will remain to be loyal to it.
Freezmizer
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

@ me here... This forum covers a lot more than WinMX, and as far as I know kissing a programs ass isn't a requirement to being a mod or a member here. In fact, if it ever becomes a WinMX 'fan-boy' site it will lose credibility as a source of information, people need to stay informed with honest opinions. Touting only the good points, while denying others their right to make negative points smacks of elitism.
You say that you are offended by their statements... Well, I am offended that you would have the nerve to attack their positions. You may be doing your best to promote WinMX and this site, but a lot of us were there for a hell of a lot longer than you, and until you have put in the time and dedication that we have to building a teaching/ learning environment then your "lets all cuddle with WinMX" philosophy holds little weight.

Lets not forget that knowledge truly is power. And knowledge will always contain the facts, good and bad. :wink:

I hope that you don't read into this as some personal attack by me against you personally, but when I read someone telling someone else what they can or cant say based on their own opinions it just pisses me off.
-- Ha Ha Charade you are....... --
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

me here wrote:We have two of CricketMX Mods here basically telling people I send to this forum for help and advise daily from our rooms on WINMX that WinMX is done for..which is a load of manure IMHO. This is a WinMX Forum still yes? Or Have all the Mods jumped ship.

I will tell you what, I work hard to help people get the most out their WinMX and BT in the rooms. I send them to this forum for help, not to be told they are doomed by the people in charge here. By your own admission you dont bother going to WinMX even so how can you judge its viability as a p2p network that has thousands of new users every day.

Its no that I love WinMX for many reasons. But I am sad we dont have any Mods on this forum that support it, i guess we are lucky we still have Battye supporting it. :(
You obviously didn't read what I wrote. I wrote that I like WinMX and that I wish it could improve. I wrote that I don't like having to use all the helper applications that are needed to make it safe and efficient. I wrote that I still visit chat rooms. Please do not put words in my mouth. I have never, in this thread or any other, said that WinMX is done for. It is true that I don't feel like using the program at present, and that is because of all the little holes that need plugging. When that's done, my favourite p2p program will be back in regular use. As Quicksilver pointed out, we can very likely expect changes if certain legal decisions go the right way. So, me and Rock, I suggest you take back your comments.

Since this thread has already had three comments directed against the moderators of this forum I will happily step down. Reading and participating in every area of the forum on a daily basis (something you both me_here and rock appear to have long forgotten, I might add) takes quite a lot of time. I should be doing other things so I'm going to. You may remember I was a little unhappy about replacing Quicksilver anyway. I don't have time for such crap. Battye, you have my resignation.

I quit.