WinMX Crashing: Error and Shut down

Discuss the world of file sharing, from philosophy to help with applications.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

me here
Healing Hands
Healing Hands

Lately I have been reading and seeing alot of people that are experiencing WinMX Crashing for no "appearent" reason.. so I saw this link on Vladd's site and thought it was a great idea.

There is a reason.. we just dont know it yet.. so

http://www.vladd44.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4513

As that post by Coaldust suggests, if your having this problem let us know the details..

What version of WinMX?
What other changes or add on programs such as BendMX are you using?
What connection are you to the WinMX network primary or secondary?
What Operating system and do you have Service Pack 1 or 2?
Firewall and router information?
What scans for adware or spyware, have you scaned the pc for viruses in safe mode?

/me Loves a good mystery...

Thanks to Coaldust.. hopes its ok to borrow this info so we can find out the cause of this soon !!! :wink:
A World Dominated by WinMX
http://www.winmxworld.com/
private
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

i am running a dell 4600 approx 2 years old restored in march 05, explorer service pack 2, xp firewall set to on and to allow winmx to proceed, 1.2 gigs of ram. norton antivirus updated on a regular basis and scan automatic once a week and as files come in. sypbot adware scan.

on or about 4/17/05 the first message came up with 'winmx has encountered a problem and has to close'. i closed the program and started again. i leave the program running 24/7 so i booted the computer then started the program again. the same message was on the screen the next morning. i did a full windows system scan on reboot, uninstalled the program, deleted the folder, booted the system and downloaded the program again. the program again had the problem and had to close over the next few days. on tuesday evening i downloaded the beta version and that is where i am now.
private
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

the beta ran for about 2 hours then stopped again. winmx has a problem and has to close.
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

After reading a post on another forum I can see that this is a problem affecting only Sp2 users, as so far thats the common item to the problem.
If this is not the case please post here so I can rule that out too.
Please make sure that you go into safe mode and do a virus and spyware scan to check for hidden nasties and let us know the frequency of disconnections.
We also need to know whether its folk who are on primary or secondary and sharing or not sharing getting hit.

I have set a debugger running for when it happens again so I hope to find the problem module or area thats affected, I,m on primary and sharing.
private
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

last night i ran the beta on a primary and was sharing 500 files. i have service pack 2. winmx crashed with the problem message after about 1 hour. i have seen no other problems on my system using other files or browsing the internet. i ran norton in safe mode and the spybot found no infections.