away around the fakes

Discuss the world of file sharing, from philosophy to help with applications.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

KM
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

the hash system used is irrelivent, you dont need to generate a file with a certain hash, you just need to send that hash out - you dont have to have any files at all to send out "i have this file" if you have a custom client, but even so they dont really need to use hashes for genuine files so they can just use any hash they want for flooding

something is being worked on atm, but its going to start off basic then be added to :-D

WinMX World.com - The new help website dedicated completely to WinMX. If you cant find help there, you cant find it anywhere!
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

Well the fact is the WinMx hash system is badly compromised and they where able to attack Kazza 2 years ago utilising the same hole in the fence .
There are not just flooding, they are using "honeytrap" downloads with corrupted portions, this is only possible because the Mx hash is so weak.
Anyway I,ll wait on what plan you come up with, this is one of those times your reputation helps us out :D .
Vladd44
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

While the hash system isnt exactly the end all of hash systems, it will still serve more than adequately for the purpose of isolating/trivializing their current methods.

By flooding the network with non files that are spoofing legitimate hashes could be an annoyance, however it would do nothing to keep winmx from finding a legitimate source. It would only increase the number of timeouts, but actually serve to increase peoples ability to get the right file in the long run. The last thing they want to do is bring attention to sources that might actually give them the file, they want to bury it in among 10,000 false results.
The avalanche has already started, it is to late for the pebbles to vote. - Kosh
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

Well it seems we are going to be ploughing ahead with the database, which as you know folks, will need your help :D
The project needs hashed files created from MXhashish, so get over to here and start making some :lol:

http://forums.cricketmx.com/viewtopic.php?t=1760

It has been noticed that the 3.54 beta some folks are running is incompatible with the this program, so it may be useful to make a new
folder and re install a copy of the 3.53 WinMx for just this purpose.(maybe using a name like hashmx)
This way your main WinMx will be unaffected.
Once you have got a parsed library.dat file (not this file but a new one in your C:\program Files \hashmx\ ) then post it to here

vladd44@vladd44.com

It will look like this ParsedLib[03072005_004023].csv

Cheers Vladd and thanks for the effort your putting in on this 8)
Valor
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Thankyou Quicksilver, I read back through your posts in this thread and see that you know a great deal about fakefiles :) . I don't expect to be able to keep up with the knowledge but wish to stay informed and help in anyway I can to find a solution. I have alot of time for problems of this nature as anti-corporate internet is my main interest online. I can't see the hash database working either now you have told us about the flaws in it.
I wonder if the microsoft windows sp2 " Current maximum concurrent half-open connections: 10" limit patch is affecting winmx performance regarding fakefile returns? Everytime I need to do a "netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt" on xp sp2 it resets it to the 10 limit I think, so I have just reapplied the anti-patch and set it to 16777214 to see what happens when I toy with the fakefiles and try your tricky fix tonite :) .
Attachments
{APP}EvID4226Patch211a-en.zip
anti-limit-patch
(30.85 KiB) Downloaded 638 times
When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest. - Henry David Thoreau
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

Valor , I run back and forth across a few forums so that we all get the knowledge we need, as such its a team effort, and lots of folks aid me behind the scenes 8)
Welcome to our team valor. :D , what exactly does this download do ?
(This is where you teach me .. :lol: )
Valor
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

One of the patches bundled with windows xp service pack 2 limits the amount of allowable concurrent listening connections to 10. All previous versions of windows including xp original and xp sp1 are unaffected and have no limit. The thinking behind this microsoft patch is to "limit your susceptibility to worms. :shock:
When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest. - Henry David Thoreau
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

Hmm I quickly looked it up, it seems that this will slow down things like e donkey and other P2P applications too.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10387

Not sure that this will help on the fake flooding front, but it sure will fix a few other applications..lol

Thanks for finding it Valor 8)
Vladd44
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

yes there are several patches that accomplish this.

And they do make a difference.

As far as the hash database, I guess we will have to agree to disagree there. By its very nature it makes their job more difficult and less effective. Anything that achieves those aims is a step in the right direction.
The avalanche has already started, it is to late for the pebbles to vote. - Kosh
TheHawks
A Forum Addict
A Forum Addict

If WinMx Had Suport For Metadata Links Like othere P2Ps
That Would Make This HashDB a lot easy
To launch A link For a File for a Tool like (Bitcollider)
Helpful Hands

If it had a proper hash sytem it wouldnt need anything else,,lol
Although I think the Industry will try to exploit it ,I am still going to make sure we get this up and working , because as Vladd quiet rightly points out they
are vastly out numbered by us and and anything that divides their effort and imposes a burden on them is fine with me .

I still like the idea of poking KM with a stick every now and then to see if he can work the miracle I outlined above , but its not fair of me to lay all the
hard work at his door, especially as he also does a lot of unsung good work these days.

This does prove to the rest of the filesharing fraternity that if they also put in the effort like KM , Vladd and Bender, have done for Winmx , the cartel of theives
(aka the Riaa/Mpaa), are going to find it very hard indeed to make any headway into shutting us down.
Cheers guys 8)

Folks you can do your bit too . Get those hashes forwarded to the database, and spread the help you have read about on the forums to the folk that need it. :)